Xbox One System Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xbox did a good job this year. No BS, no fluff, just games and interesting announcements. That's how you need to do it from now on MS.

Decided to install mass effect for ****s and giggles. This is pretty cool. Installed straight from the disc. Sadly you can't snap achievements though.

That transition from blood oozing onto cocaine turning into wet pavement was insane!

Surprised no VR on day one, that's all everyone has been talking about lately.

But MS announcing free BC was still big if not predictable news, still was a punch to the face on Sony, even if remastered games > BC.

Everyone is bitching about this on Facebook because they sold all their games.

What's wrong with people. :slap

$150 for a ****ing controller???

LOL LOL LOL.

$400+ for a fully functional polystone statue or figure is a steal compared to this....LOL.

:lecture :lol

It's pricey but let's face it, that controller is marketed to those that "have to have" all the things with all the bells and whistles. I'm good with my XB1 controller, it's comfortable.

I'll probably end up buying it because I'm stupid. :cuckoo: :lol

Everyone said HoloLens was legit when it was first announced back in January. Including us. Needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating getting to try it for myself, and Microsoft's "Halo Experience" at E3 2015 gave me the opportunity to do just that. To be clear up front, this was a tech demo. It will not be a part of Halo 5 now or anytime soon. It was merely meant to show off the capabilities of HoloLens in a gaming environment.

First, fitting the HoloLens to my head was an experience unto itself. A Microsoft rep had me look into an optometrist's device that measured the distance between my pupils, which was fed into an app that calibrated my HoloLens headset. Actually slipping the device was rather comfortable. It's lightweight and it was easy to adjust the tightness of the headband, the angle of the screen in front of me, and the distance of the screen from my eyes.

Once it was calibrated, I was told to stand up, look down a hallway (the entire "experience" took place inside a room meant to resemble a UNSC ship), and wait for further instructions. Those instructions popped up in the form of a waypoint marker that was down the hallway, exactly as it appears on Master Chief's MJOLNIR visor in the game. I walked toward it, and I couldn't help but smile. Even if just for a small moment, Halo had become real.

Once inside the briefing room, six of us assembled around a table, again modeled after what you'd see on a UNSC ship. In the center, a holographic 3D model of the UNSC Infinity spun around, and you could interact with it using a virtual pointer. And here's where the technology is still very limited right now: the field of view is very small. It's not quite as bad as looking through a mail slot, but the top and bottom of my viewing area kept getting cut off.

What's in that field of view, though, is truly fantastic. Once the mission briefing started, Spartan commander Sarah Palmer, wearing her signature white Spartan-IV armor, popped up on the table and replaced the Infinity that had been there a moment before. She explained the basics behind Warzone mode, and it literally looked like a Halo action figure had come to life and was talking to me, in real 3D space. It was a "Whoa!" moment.

As she went on, her avatar was replaced by a holographic 3D overview of the Warzone map we'd be playing on (seen in the videos above and below), and she pointed out key areas of interest. When she got to the bit about how Warzone introduces the occasional AI "boss," a giant Hunter Elder appeared in front of me, again making me feel like a ******ing Halo toy had sprung to life on the table. The HoloLens hype had been real, it turned out. And if the final, consumer version of HoloLens can deliver content experiences like this -- and hopefully increase the field of view -- than this augmented-reality device may prove to be the literal game-changing complement to the Xbox console that Kinect always wanted to be but never could.

Back