X-Men: First Class

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review Mike. Good read honestly. Agree with some and not with other parts. You're not the first person I've seen say best Marvel movie. I just cannot agree with that at all for me personally. This movie might only be # 5 for me to be honest.

Why do I feel compelled to ask you what other four movies you like more than this one? :lol

Anyway, I'm always hesitant to claim that something is the "best of anything" when it is the newest thing in my mind. I usually like to let it settle in before I can rank them. This one, as far as superhero movies go, will probably end up near the top for me.

Thanks Josh! :duff

No problem. :duff I always enjoy reading your thoughts. They're well articulated and make you think on this subject. Helps me improve my own knowledge as well.

Its tough. I loved Iron Man 1 and Thor. Spider-Man 1 & 2 don't hold up well, given I just watched them a couple of weeks ago although there are some classic parts but something about knowing it's in the Silver Age timeframe and how well it weaved in their own continuity into the established Marvel continuity was fantastic. By far better than anything 20th Century Fox has done with their licenses IMHO and I really hope that their Daredevil and Fantastic Four reboots are given the same TLC.

I understand. I love the X-Men growing up that was probably my favorite group. So I dig these movies somewhat because of that. While I think this movie is solid and enjoyed it a great deal I just didnt walk out of it feeling the same way I did with Iron Man 1/2 or Thor. Its close to Spiderman 1 if I was getting really picky on a ranking scale.

Agreed. I hope those get treated the way this and recent marvel movies have been.

Why do I feel compelled to ask you what other four movies you like more than this one? :lol

I don't know but I'll tell ya. :lol

1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Iron Man 2
4. Spiderman
5. X-Men First Class

Anyway, I'm always hesitant to claim that something is the "best of anything" when it is the newest thing in my mind. I usually like to let it settle in before I can rank them. This one, as far as superhero movies go, will probably end up near the top for me.

Thats understandable. In a few months or years my feelings may change on things. If Captain America is as good as I think its gonna be X-Men won't be in the top 5 very long.

That all being said I will buy this when it comes out on Blu.

The funny thing is that now that after I've seen the movie, when I go back and look at the promotional pictures I still think they look cheesy. The movie just works when it is in motion. I do think that some of the character designs are pretty weak, though.

The character designs are unique but a lot of that is the 1960s timeplacing. The original X-Men trilogy character designs were fairly bland as well if you really look at them. They won't really intermingle with other Marvel properties on the shelves which is unfortunate since HT won't go that deep into this line but a flight suit Magneto with blue helmet will be a fantastic display piece. I really hope the next one is also in the 60s and the last if it gets that far is in the 1970s.

I definitely prefer the Blue/Yellow flight suits over the black leather.

The character designs are unique but a lot of that is the 1960s timeplacing. The original X-Men trilogy character designs were fairly bland as well if you really look at them. They won't really intermingle with other Marvel properties on the shelves which is unfortunate since HT won't go that deep into this line but a flight suit Magneto with blue helmet will be a fantastic display piece. I really hope the next one is also in the 60s and the last if it gets that far is in the 1970s.

I definitely prefer the Blue/Yellow flight suits over the black leather.

I agree with you, the new look is better than the X1-3 look. Though, I like the Magneto and Xavier civie look more than the suited up look (Sans the blue/yellow Magneto look with helmet).

Spoiler Spoiler:

I just saw this and well, I really enjoyed it but not the amazing movie I had expected. I was a little disappointed in all the WTF moments, because let's face it, there are a few.

I agree with the general consensus that Magneto, Xavier, Shaw and even Mystique or Beast (in human form) were perfectly casted. Azazel was cool too in his fighting scenes. Emma Frost was a little meh, January Jones is not sensual enough to portray her IMO. The rest of the cast is pretty forgettable.

Can anybody explain me...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Though, I like the Magneto and Xavier civie look more than the suited up look (Sans the blue/yellow Magneto look with helmet).

I will agree I want the brown leather jacket, purple mock and slacks for Erik the most, but I doubt it'll be available but hopefully easy to bash with the HS that HT will provide.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I blame Singer.

Spoiler Spoiler:

What? :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sure here you go:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I did too. :hi5: :duff

At that point I was already seatbelted into the Singerverse so in a way it made more sense.

Just saw it, definitely the best movie of the franchise...the script and the characters really made you care about this story. I still prefered Thor over this movie but still a very solid movie. 8/10.

Strongest point: the Guy playing Magneto steals this movie for me.Brillant performance IMO.

Weakest point:January Jones is definitely not Emma Frost material.

I did too. :hi5: :duff

At that point I was already seatbelted into the Singerverse so in a way it made more sense.

:hi5::hi5::hi5::hi5:

I like the look because it reminds me of the comic look. Its not exact but it just reminds me of it.

Strongest point: the Guy playing Magneto steals this movie for me.Brillant performance IMO.

Weakest point:January Jones is definitely not Emma Frost material.

Agreed the performance playing Magneto was really really good.

The thing with January Jones playing Emma was they way they used her sucked. They used her as badly as POTC used Blackbeard.

No problem. :duff I always enjoy reading your thoughts. They're well articulated and make you think on this subject. Helps me improve my own knowledge as well.

I understand. I love the X-Men growing up that was probably my favorite group. So I dig these movies somewhat because of that. While I think this movie is solid and enjoyed it a great deal I just didnt walk out of it feeling the same way I did with Iron Man 1/2 or Thor. Its close to Spiderman 1 if I was getting really picky on a ranking scale.

Agreed. I hope those get treated the way this and recent marvel movies have been.

You didn't feel that way about this movie at the end because it's not something that you can rejoice over. You see the beginning of 2 friends going their separate ways, not really a theme to be excited about. It is however a great origin story and was told in a very good way. As fans know what it will eventually lead to and I feel that they did a great job in making me care about all of characters involved.

Given the time and the way that a man with Shaw's power would have treated women I don't really see how they could have used her differently, she was basically shoulder candy back in the Dark Phoenix Saga as well and only came into her own really later on. January Jones definitely wasn't the right person for it, I wish they had kept Alice Eve or casted her over Jones because she would have at least been sexy in the role.

Sure here you go:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah, I agree and I guess that is the key question that sums everything up... but still

Spoiler Spoiler:

Jones seems like a one trick pony as an actress. She was supposed to be sexy but she played her role exactly like her character in Mad Men but with less clothing.

Back