Wow! Weta partners w/ DC Direct for Superman Returns!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elwood49 said:
I saw this posted on the StatueForum by Parker, so credit goes to him
Actually, credit goes to Toy Fare magazine, and I scanned that spread that "Parker" re-posted, yesterday, here:

Linky

cryrsvl.jpg

Last edited:
Collector Freak said:
No, the credit goes to WETA! :banana

Ahem, WHOMEVER the credit goes to, some of these pieces should be very cool. I'm glad that Weta decided to go significantly larger with the 4 statues they have listed.

Here are the sizes:

All products created by Weta and Bryan Singer, distributed by DC Direct

THE RETURNING SON

Made of polystone.

Dimensions:
Height – 20 inches
Width:-- 20 inches
Depth – 13 inches

THE DAILY PLANET

Figures made of polystone, base in metal

Dimensions:
Height – 25 inches
Width:-- 12 inches
Depth – 8 inches

FALLEN HERO

Made of polystone

Dimensions:
Height – 22 inches
Width:-- 19 inches
Depth – 16 inches

DISASTER AVERTED

Made of polystone.

Dimensions:
Height – 26 inches
Width – 14 inches
Depth – 14 inches

Thanks for the news, Elwood!

Judging by the pics in the thread at the bottom of the linked page, the Weta pieces will be quite interesting as sculptures... real works of art in themselves.

Wow. Toy Fair has just become that much more exciting.

Seretur said:
the Weta pieces will be quite interesting as sculptures... real works of art in themselves.

I agree completely. That Daily Planet mixed media piece looks incredible. Around 25" tall with a metal base and 2 polystone characters suspended above it. I may get that one if I like the movie.

I can't wait to see the other 2 statues. Hopefully they will show all 4 of them at ToyFair.

Did Weta Workshop supply any of the effects for the film? It is always cool when the guys who made the movie also made the collectibles!

Thanks for the info, Weta really seems to be diversifying. I found a link on their website that they now make chain-mail reproductions for films, and plan on making them available to the public before too long! I guess those kiwis can make anything!

Thanks for that, I forgot to check Zorro's credits page.

But yes, Weta Workshop has quickly become the film industry's premier supplier of weapons, armor and chainmail. (Mainly because there are very few other firms willing to have guys sit and assemble chainmail until they lose their fingerprints, I'd guess.) The work they did on Kingdom of Heaven was superb too.

2.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Take a look at the Daily Planet sculpt. I LOVE the look of this. The 3rd picture down is mind blowing. I might get it if the film is good. Weta is really on a roll with some of their work lately. LOTRFan made a good post about this on the StatueForum, that it's a shame that the LOTR pieces pale in comparison to the new sculpts, IMO.

He said it perfectly with this post:
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=23288

I think this press release has been seen, but its new to the Weta site.

https://www.wetanz.com/collectibles/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

elwood49 said:
Weta is really on a roll with some of their work lately. LOTRFan made a good post about this on the StatueForum, that it's a shame that the LOTR pieces pale in comparison to the new sculpts, IMO.

I think the Weta sculptors are getting better and better with time, which would seem to be a logical thing. The talent was always there, but it needed time and practice to refine the skill. Not a black mark on Weta in the least. There is some real eye candy in the LotR line, some of it loved and some overlooked.
As far as the new Weta, I can say that the Otmin Narnia statue, to quote JLC "kicks arse". The sculpt is top notch, and not only that, the paint work is out of this world. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the statue to anyone.

Ok Weta WTH is going on?!?! Stop with the Zorro and Superman and do some Lord of the Rings would ya! :banghead :D

That's impressive for sure and I agree their skills have improved over the last few years on these items. However, I have to totally disagree with Elwood and Matt for that matter that any of the Kong, Narnia, Zorro, Super Man, etc. is better than a very good portion of the LOTR items. Let's put it this way I wouldn't pay 2k for any piece including the Kong v Rex as I did with the Original Balrog.

Back