Work slowdown at Port of Long Beach means "no collectibles for you!"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2002, a bitter 10-day lockout at a number of West Coast ports caused an estimated $15 billion in losses.

In a statement released midday Thursday, the Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor Employer Association said "the strike has already had a severe impact on the flow of cargo and on jobs in the harbor community."

The association, which represents the terminal operators at the ports, went on the offensive, saying it had offered to enter into mediation with the Office Clerical Unit but was met with "unreasonable demands" and now "uncompromising and disruptive tactics."

Members of the unit are the "highest paid clerical workers in America," with annual compensation in the $165,000 range, the employer association said. A spokeswoman for the association clarified that workers make an average of $40 to $41 per hour, or about $83,000 per year in salary, with the remaining compensation covering benefits.

But the unit's leaders have said the strike is not about salary or benefits.

"Everyone agrees these are good-paying jobs," ILWU spokesman Craig Merrilees told the Daily Breeze."The difference is here that the companies resent providing those good-paying jobs in the long run and have taken steps to steadily ship them elsewhere to the detriment of the local communities around the harbor."

The clerical workers have been in a contract dispute for 2 1/2 years with 14 shippers. Talks between the parties broke off Monday, and the strike followed. No new talks have been scheduled.

"We're prepared to strike as long as it takes," ***eaux said late Thursday morning.

An arbitrator had ruled Tuesday that the clerical workers' walkout was invalid, but the strike expanded Wednesday and was continuing Thursday.

The shippers contend the union wants contract language to allow "featherbedding" – meaning the employers must pay temporary employees and hire new permanent employees even when there is no work to perform.

"It is only a matter of time until the damage to our local economy has major national implications. The time for you to act is now," Villaraigosa added.

The National Retail Federation, meanwhile, called on President Barack Obama to step in to end the stalemate.

"A prolonged strike at the nation's largest ports would have a devastating impact on the U.S. economy,'' NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay wrote in a letter to Obama. "We call upon you to use all means necessary to get the two sides back to the negotiating table.''

----

Ridiculous.

I hope they all lose their jobs to China. They arent even protesting for their own "protected" rights but the arbitrary rights of future employees which is all hypothetical.

all RMAs as well...

because the Apocalypse PF had condensation problems before, waiting another 6 months only to find out its been sitting in damp cold condition is probably gonna result in the same problem(s).

probably affect Green Hulk PF, Modern Thor PF, Jean PF and all other products solicited at comic con (until the next comic con)

This whole shipping delay reminds me of Lethal weapon 2 ending with the container full of cash exploding. This has to be irritating the heck out of all the owners losing ton's of money everyday just sitting doing nothing idling at the port causing canceled orders with the shipping delays.

7kkq8Zw.gif

Thanks for the info, Dave. I didn't get an email and was wondering what happened to Supes.

Hopefully they can get a decent wage. I just don't know how they could possibly live on just $41 an hour. :lol

The wages alone made me go . . .

1e20a384dd9a2f51231910289a6ead31.jpg

They'd be lucky to get 30k a year for a job like that in my area. I'm not too worried about the figures but whats used to justify the strike just boggles the mind.

I think these guys would be in for a real shock if they lost their jobs and had to try to find something anywhere close to that pay with their skill set. Not going to happen.

So let me get this straight. Union workers who are worried about being replaced by automation are striking and losing their employer who knows how much money. Wouldn't that give the employer all the more reason to replace them and doing it as soon as possible?

Happened here in Pa. many years ago with Caterpillar. Machinist, who were making good wages at the time, wanted more money. They went on strike, company closed down and moved elsewhere. The employees sure showed that company.

I used to work for Quaker Oats company for about 5 years in the mid 90s. It was a dream job. We didn't go on strike, but the employees didn't appreciate the gravy job and generous wage we received. They were PITAs as much as possible to the company. They closed down as well. Everyone I bumped into in years to come regretted losing that job.

All current positions are secured and protected, future employees will most likely not receive the same "competitive" advantage and benefits since the companies feel that they could expedite the process and have SOME of the clerical work done in China who would be responsible for the administrative processing and paper work. Their wages would be a fraction of what current workers receive. This sounds very similar to the Canada Post strike which ended up costing a billion in losses, the union looked foolish and Canadians experienced severe delays in mail delivery all for the sake of protecting the union not workers.

Back