Wonder Woman - June 2, 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017

Anyone who has directed Game of Thrones is better than Zach Snyder, and to me, that makes this a positive move. And she's actually had a lot more experience than Josh Trank, for what that's worth.

She doesn't have more experience directing a superhero movie, that's what really matters, Trank succeeded in making a successful superhero movie with a premise and style similar enough to the F4. Directing an ongoing show is quite different from directing your own movie, the foundation has already been laid episodes and seasons before, with a movie especially one that will be as big as Wonder Woman she has to bring a lot of originality and her own distinctive style to the film in a popular but oversaturated genre instead of following up on someone else's work.

At the end of the day though she could be awesome and I hope she is, but look at Alan Taylor, he made one of the worst MCU films to date and he's directed some of the best shows of all time including GOT, hopefully he does a better job with the new Terminator film.

Last edited:
Re: Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017

The Russos did a great job with Winter Soldier and were cool to work with.

:lecture

Goes to show that there are people out there that have what it takes. You don't have to be well known veteran director to do something well such as a comic book movie. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

She doesn't have more experience directing a superhero movie, that's what really matters
Neither did Trank. He did a movie of characters with powers. Game of Thrones has characters with powers.

That shows that it is really a crapshoot when you have folks without a track record IMO. It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't. Possible the WW film will suck. Also possible it will be great. I am more optimistic about it than the Snyder films. Expectations about on par with Fantastic Four, which makes sense considering we have no strong idea how either is going to turn out considering the lack of a track record from either creative team.

When did I say you have to be well known?

The Russo Bros made quite an impression on Marvel after they gave their pitch to direct TWS, I have no problem with relatively unknowns directing these films, I'm saying WB seemed to restrict themselves to possibly getting better directors because they wanted a female to direct this movie which I think is wrong, especially when most of the general audience doesn't even think about who directs the film they're watching.

But of course I don't know if they met with a ton of male and female directors and this woman just so happened to be the best of the bunch, but based on most of the reports regarding this film it seemed like from the start they wanted only a woman to direct.

Last edited:

When did I say you have to be well known?

The Russo Bros made quite an impression on Marvel after they gave their pitch to direct TWS, I have no problem with relatively unknowns directing these films, I'm saying WB seemed to restrict themselves to possibly getting better directors because they wanted a female to direct this movie which I think is wrong especially when most of the general audience doesn't even think about who directs the film they're watching.

But of course I don't know if they met with a ton of male and female directors and this woman just so happened to be the best of the bunch, but based on most of the reports regarding this film it seemed like from the start they wanted only a woman to direct.

You certainly seemed to have implied that unless a director was "known", anyone else would be a bad choice to direct. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that they should have hired a male over a female to direct this? At the end of the day, the gender of the director doesn't really matter. It's the talent within the individual regardless if they're male or female. In the case of this and all other CBM's, as long as the director can come up with a story that is faithful to the source material (yes, some liberties are often taken, and that's to be expected) and the characters are portrayed in a way that is reflective of the source material then that's what is going to resonate with the fans of the comic books, and the general audience.

Neither did Trank. He did a movie of characters with powers. Game of Thrones has characters with powers.

That shows that it is really a crapshoot when you have folks without a track record IMO. It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't. Possible the WW film will suck. Also possible it will be great. I am more optimistic about it than the Snyder films. Expectations about on par with Fantastic Four, which makes sense considering we have no strong idea how either is going to turn out considering the lack of a track record from either creative team.

By your logic every single person who has directed an episode of GOT has just as much experience as Trank in directing their own film involving people with superpowers. That's a little crazy, directing a show and directing a movie are two different things.

Even if you don't want to recognize Chronicle as superhero film, it still proves that Trank can make a successful film that involves a young group of people that accidentally get superpowers and have to learn to use them and how they plan on using those powers, that's similar enough to the Ultimate Fantastic Four. Also with what Trank was able to achieve on a small budget should really give you hope what he can do with a larger budget for F4.

I don't see how directing a few episodes of GOT equals that. But that's me getting off topic, like I said, her resume is not why I'm worried about her directing Wonder this movie, if they would have gotten someone that's only directed commercials to direct Wonder Woman, I wouldn't have had a problem with it, my problem is with WB limiting themselves to a select group of directors for reasons that don't really have anything to do with the film.

Last edited:

You certainly seemed to have implied that unless a director was "known", anyone else would be a bad choice to direct. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that they should have hired a male over a female to direct this? At the end of the day, the gender of the director doesn't really matter. It's the talent within the individual regardless if they're male or female. In the case of this and all other CBM's, as long as the director can come up with a story that is faithful to the source material (yes, some liberties are often taken, and that's to be expected) and the characters are portrayed in a way that is reflective of the source material then that's what is going to resonate with the fans of the comic books, and the general audience.

I don't see how I implied that, and no I'm saying they should have hired a male director, I'm saying they should have met with both male and female directors and picked the person they felt could make the best movie possible. Based on reports, it seems they've only been looking for female directors and that's limiting their potential to find the best available director possible.

Last edited:

it still proves that Trank can make a successful film that involves a young group of people that accidentally get superpowers and have to learn to use them and how they plan on using those powers, that's similar enough to the Ultimate Fantastic Four.
If you say so, but Chronicle were teenagers ill equipped emotionally or developmentally to handle the powers they had, and ended up committing crimes and murder. Fantastic Four isn't even in the same ballpark as that. Very superficial similarities. I don't care if you or anyone else wants to be optimistic about FF, but based on all the info. I've seen, the simple truth is that there isn't much out there to suggest Trank is better suited than this woman to direct Wonder Woman.

If you say so, but Chronicle were teenagers ill equipped emotionally or developmentally to handle the powers they had, and ended up committing crimes and murder. Fantastic Four isn't even in the same ballpark as that. Very superficial similarities. I don't care if you or anyone else wants to be optimistic about FF, but based on all the info. I've seen, the simple truth is that there isn't much out there to suggest Trank is better suited than this woman to direct Wonder Woman.

So directing a good movie on a small budget that involves young adults getting superpowers equals directing episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Even if you don't see any similarities between Chronicle and the Fantastic Four, there's still a lot of other positives qualities from Chronicle that you can take away from, like what Trank did with the action on a small budget and such, you can't do that for Maclaren because she pretty much has had no creative freedom in those episodes she directed.

I guess we'll see how it turns out, and I hope it turns out well because I like Wonder Woman both as a character and its comic book universe. This just feels like a publicity move

I don't see how I implied that, and no I'm saying they should have hired a male director, I'm saying they should have met with both male and female directors and picked the person they felt could make the best movie possible. Based on reports, it seems they've only been looking for female directors and that's limiting their potential to find the best available director possible.

Seems you are implying they should have hired a male director. Women can be just as talented as men. Gender is not a factor of a director being able to do the job well.

People have to be given a chance somewhere. :dunno

She has directed some highly rated dramatic shows. Then you have Snyder who can step in and show her how to have some action scenes and blow **** up gloriously.

Seems you are implying they should have hired a male director. Women can be just as talented as men. Gender is not a factor of a director being able to do the job well.

I don't know if you knows this but you're proving my point. If gender isn't a factor then you should agree with me that they shouldn't have limited their search for a director to just women.

I don't know how you think I'm implying that they should have hired a male director over a woman director by that statement.

People have to be given a chance somewhere. :dunno

She has directed some highly rated dramatic shows. Then you have Snyder who can step in and show her how to have some action scenes and blow **** up gloriously.

I think they should deserve it.

If I had to pick between Kathryn Bigelow or Zach Snyder to direct this film, I would easily pick Kathryn Bigelow.

I just think only looking for a female director is a marketing ploy, why not look for the best director possible?

Yeah, hiring a woman just because the main character is a woman would be about as lame as, say, hiring a director to a movie just because a previous movie he/she directed had vague, superficial similarities to the newer movie. I would hope studios execs would have better judgment, more integrity, and more respect for moviegoers than to engage in this kind of lowest common denominator thinking. Makes me want to throw up all over the computer.

WB better get a Green Lantern to helm the Green Lantern reboot or its likely to fail.

I think they should deserve it.

If I had to pick between Kathryn Bigelow or Zach Snyder to direct this film, I would easily pick Kathryn Bigelow.

I just think only looking for a female director is a marketing ploy, why not look for the best director possible?

How does someone deserve to make a movie? Fincher made some music videos and a piss poor Alien sequel and then gave us SE7EN.

Based on 300 and Watchmen, I would choose Snyder for a comic book flick. I like MOS and it made money. :dunno

How does someone deserve to make a movie? Fincher made some music videos and a piss poor Alien sequel and then gave us SE7EN.

Based on 300 and Watchmen, I would choose Snyder for a comic book flick. I like MOS and it made money. :dunno

I'm not talking about strictly their resume, but like the Russo Bros, they met with Marvel, the studio liked what they heard, and an awesome Captain America movie got made. I'm sure Fincher got the gig for reasons more than having an awesome commercial and maybe Maclaren did to, but I just don't like how the director's position for this film was limited to only women, I don't know why that seems to bother everyone.

I liked 300 but I found Watchmen and MOS to be underwhelming, I still think he's going to do a good job with BvS though, but Katheryn Bigelow already has a better resume than him so that's why I would choose her over Snyder.

Last edited:
Back