Wonder Woman gets a new costume and direction!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a stage costume for Hannah Montana. I realize they're tweaking her origin, but if they wanted to make her look more 'modern' or 'functional' when they're done peeing in DC's primordial ooze (retconning) then just make it look like ARMOR that a Greek Goddess would wear.

Ugh...

Yeah, I think they should go full realism. Have it be some nutty woman who thinks she can stop bullets with her bracelets. First time she tries it out, she dies. The end.

Trying to make super heroes realistic is dumb.

DC does this with all of their characters, and always goes back to the classic backstory/look. It's like the New Coke/Coca-Cola Classic thing.

Also, maybe this is just to pave the way for All-Star Wonder Woman and a return to basics.

DC does this with all of their characters, and always goes back to the classic backstory/look. It's like the New Coke/Coca-Cola Classic thing.

Also, maybe this is just to pave the way for All-Star Wonder Woman and a return to basics.

I'm highly anticipating All-Star Wonder Woman by Adam Hughes! :rock :yess: :rock

Just finished reading WW #600 was pretty good, lot of good interior pinups and the stories were decent, I thought it was the best of the 3 big anniversary issues with WW first, then Batman and Superman last.

I'm really not seeing the issue with the costume change or the new storyline, I've been reading WW and DC for close to 30 years now and a good story is a good story no matter if its in continuity or out of. JMS starts off keeping me interested in what happens next and honestly for most readers out there, especially the newer ones, who don't want to know about 50 years of backstory this may be a good jumping on point and I think thats what DC is hoping for.

Sometimes I think fans, especially comic fans and very much so with WW fans, is all they care about is the costume and Lynda Carter. The character needs to be defined by more than that, least in my opinion and if this story line can add to that definition by all means lose the star spangled panties.

Only real problem I had with #600 is none of the local comic shops had the AH alt cover, so not sure I want to spend $25+ on ebay for it :(

Evan

I've got to agree that this needs to have farther reaching effects than just her. Hippolita being dead changes some events of 52, and diana not being there goofs several other things too.

That said, I like the costume.

Only real problem I had with #600 is none of the local comic shops had the AH alt cover, so not sure I want to spend $25+ on ebay for it :(

Evan

A friend of mine picked me up a copy of the AH! variant for $10.00 from Frank & Son Warehouse in SoCal! He said there wasn't many of them and sold out fast! I can't believe he got two for that price. :D :rock

985b65f10aba927c60357de7db093119.jpg

Ugh. Why the ____ does she look like the 1990s Reign of the Supermen Superboy?

superboyfirstcostume.jpg

It's pretty basic, Wonder Woman while being a great female icon and recognizable to the general public just doesn't sell comics. If you look at the sales numbers in the past 20 years.....

2007 to 2010 - The last reboot with Allan Heinberg, who coming off a popular marvel run and being a tv writer couldn't even finish a single year of issues. First few issues sold well, over 100k but by the time he left at issue 6 it was down to 50k area and even after adding a big name writer in Jodi Picoult it still continued to spiral. Once Gail came aboard the numbers sorta solidified but by that time it hovered around mid to high 20k.

1987 to 2007 - Perez rebooted the run in 1987 with a lot of fanfaire and may be the most well looked upon writer/artist for WW. Sales numbers are hard to come by back then, at least good numbers but it seems with Perez in the beginning the numbers were 80K plus for a while, with the first bunch over 100k. Over the years after Perez, you had Messner Loebs, Byrne, Simonson and then Rucka, who finished up Vol2. For the most part after Perez left the numbers through out averaged about 35k to 45k, with big issues like 100 and 200 getting double that. When Rucka closed down shop, the last issue of Vol2 sold about 45k.

So if you take the last 25 years, her single solo book sold about an average of 40k, not really good numbers :(

She has always had just one book while Superman and Batman for the most part had solo titles, group titles, family titles, etc... DC has always kinds treated her as small part of the so called trinity. I honestly couldn't even tell most folks who her fans are within the comic community. My LCS orders about 6 WW issues a month, with 2 of those going to reserves. I called around to shops locally to try and get the AH! variant cover and only 1 out of the 6 shops I called was actually ordering 25 to get the cover, so she is almost at an all time low in popularity among those who actually purchase comics. So while she is popular in media to some degree, the people who actually spend money on her are pretty limited, so DC had to try something.

I have every issue starting with Vol2 and about 100 odd issues prior to that reboot, I've been a big fan of hers for a long time and even I knew something had to give.

Evan

I'd also bet money this change was partially done with a mind towards getting the movie moving along.

True.

I still believe that this costume change is a temporary one. WW's costume is to iconic to make the change permanent.

Minor tweaks to her suit, sure. But to drastically change it forever, no.

Just look at Spider-Man's black costume. Although it was very cool it didn't last and the familiar red & blue union suit came back.

I don't read the comics regularly, but the new origin sounds pretty lame.

The new costume gets two thumbs way down. The original style will always be the best. You can't blame the comic's lagging sales on her costume. Heck, that costume/comic girl physique is probably what sells the books IMO!

I hate it. It does nothing for me.

She is part of the trinity. There are not real acceptable changes to them... it is who they are and makes them what we perceive them to be... Awesome...

This one.. meh

The new costume gets two thumbs way down. The original style will always be the best. You can't blame the comic's lagging sales on her costume. Heck, that costume/comic girl physique is probably what sells the books IMO!

I agree. WW needs another strong writer like Gail Simone. Her run on WW was awesome. Maybe JMS will prove to be that writer.

I hate it. It does nothing for me.

She is part of the trinity. There are not real acceptable changes to them... it is who they are and makes them what we perceive them to be... Awesome...

This one.. meh

And that's why I believe that this change is temporary. This is nothing but publicity stunt, no more or less.

This alternate reality story will go for about six months or even a year and then everything will be put back in it's place by the end of the storyarc.

I agree. WW needs another strong writer like Gail Simone. Her run on WW was awesome. Maybe JMS will prove to be that writer.

And that's why I believe that this change is temporary. This is nothing but publicity stunt, no more or less.

This alternate reality story will go for about six months or even a year and then everything will be put back in it's place by the end of the storyarc.

JMS has already said this is an alternate time line and she is trying to fix it over a year worth of stories, so some stuff may stick some may not.

Sales aren't blamed on the costume in the least, they sexed her up here and there and sales still didn't increase, they have given her big name writers and sales didn't increase, what is the solution? I think Gail Simone is a fantastic writer and I enjoyed her run but her average month sold about 27k for over 2 years..... that's not a lot of comics for a member of the trinity.Comics to some degree is a closed insular perodical where most of the readers are white males age 16 to 50 and they just don't buy comics headlined by women, even when they are sexed up.

Evan

Back