Wonder Woman gets a new costume and direction!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it a bit contradictory that even though this marks a new beginning for Wonder Woman, the covers for the for WW still feature the old costume.

Which covers? The ones on the DC site? Those are placeholder covers, all the new ones have the new costume. Since they have to preview for months ahead they just used placeholders with the old costume.

Evan

This is just par for the course for DC, who seems determined to jack up what little continuity they have left.

From eliminating the multi-universe in the original Crisis, to bring back the multi-verse with Infinite crisis, from changing Superman's origin so there was no Superboy, to bringing back Superboy and re-introducing him into continuity, to the mulitple re-boots of the Legion of Superheroes, and now they feel the need to change Wonder Woman's origin. DC seems hell bent and determined to make their books as confusing as possible. Additionally, I think the new costume is boring & forgettable. Why DC thinks bringing back the 90's "superheroes in jackets" phase is a good idea is beyond me.

I have always been a DC guy, but I have lost complete faith in DC over the past 2-3 years. My pull list at my LCS use to be full of DC titles, now I'm down to Green Lantern & Green Lantern Corps. I will be canceling both Wonder Woman and Superman. I have little desire to read about a "urbanized" Wonder Woman or spend a year reading about Superman trying to find himself. Heck as readers we just spent a year trying to find Superman ourselves because hasn't even appeared appeared in his own book.

There is a reason why Marvel kicks DC butts on a regular basis...having grown up a DC fan it pains me to say that.

...but I can almost hear the screams and outcry of todays society condemning a bodice piece and underwear as perverted and unsafe for children :monkey2

____ them. They should all be forced to stare at Ed Benes girls for the remainder of eternity. Like A Clockwork Orange. Putting Wonder Woman in pants is obscene. She may as well be wearing a burka.

This is just par for the course for DC, who seems determined to jack up what little continuity they have left.

From eliminating the multi-universe in the original Crisis, to bring back the multi-verse with Infinite crisis, from changing Superman's origin so there was no Superboy, to bringing back Superboy and re-introducing him into continuity, to the mulitple re-boots of the Legion of Superheroes, and now they feel the need to change Wonder Woman's origin. DC seems hell bent and determined to make their books as confusing as possible. Additionally, I think the new costume is boring & forgettable. Why DC thinks bringing back the 90's "superheroes in jackets" phase is a good idea is beyond me.

I have always been a DC guy, but I have lost complete faith in DC over the past 2-3 years. My pull list at my LCS use to be full of DC titles, now I'm down to Green Lantern & Green Lantern Corps. I will be canceling both Wonder Woman and Superman. I have little desire to read about a "urbanized" Wonder Woman or spend a year reading about Superman trying to find himself. Heck as readers we just spent a year trying to find Superman ourselves because hasn't even appeared appeared in his own book.

There is a reason why Marvel kicks DC butts on a regular basis...having grown up a DC fan it pains me to say that.

I can't speak much on Marvel or how their continuity works but I've heard the X-books are as confusing as anything out there.

Again I think the thing that people are glossing over is the fact not a whole lot of comic buyers read/buy WW much less the general public, who may or may not be fans of hers, they still don't buy the comic.

I think continuity is fine, its part of comics, especially when you have characters that are almost 70 years old but I think thats part of the problem, the backstory, the mythology, the origin is so bogged down by 70 years, your not going to pick up a whole lot of readers trying out a comic to learn that they need an bible just to figure out what is going on. I will take a good well written engaging story over continuity anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

They are really not changing WW origin, they are introducing an alternate time line, which may or may not go back to the origin that's been around since the dawn of time.

Just give me good stories :clap

Evan

____ them. They should all be forced to stare at Ed Benes girls for the remainder of eternity. Like A Clockwork Orange. Putting Wonder Woman in pants is obscene. She may as well be wearing a burka.

Quick question, do you read/buy WW comics?

Again its always about the costume, which doesn't sell comics, they can sex it up all folks want, it still doesn't change the fact it doesn't sell. They have cancelled better selling comics over the years, yet they continue to publish WW, partially in part due to the agreement with the Marston estate, which lets they control the license. If folks want to read a comic with half naked women, why not just move over to Tarot... (not pointing out you, but those who are fixated by her costume)

Evan

I have been reading WW for years and all I can tell you is that this...

wonder_woman.jpg

is Wonder Woman. Strong, intelligent, beautiful and heroic.​

In my eyes, and those of many other WW fans, nothing will change that.​

I look forward to reading this new storyline and hopefully be entertained by it.​

Wonder Woman has out of the "DC Trinity" been the most difficult to "get right" because people have different ideas about her. Batman is pretty simple, rich boy who build gadgets, muscular but not hulking to keep the humanity aspect. Superman again, alien, muscular, strong presence. Costumes as well have been pretty close to one another with only subtile changes.

If you look at Wondy, some like the large muscular, other the soft feminine. Some want tall, others shorter than the other heroes. Some want the Lynda Carter look without question, others more Greek. Each one of her writers tries to put their stamp on her and so do the artists which leads for strange consistencies amongst them. Adam Hughes, Michael Turner, Jim Lee, Alex Ross, the list goes on and one about how they wanted her to look and not how she looked just a couple of issues ago in terms of things from spanky length to body proportions.

Hell Perez was brought in to write the Blackest Night tie-ins and left Gail Simone pissed and out in the dark continuing her line separate. Johns even admitted that he was wrong in going with Perez instead of consulting with Simone after issue 1.

She has been treated like an afterthought even though she is one of DC's most iconic heroes and now that they are trying to streamline her I guarantee you that it'll piss off the real fans of hers more than anything else.

Personally I've always preferred the softer Wondy over the tall Amazon who is buff because it made it much more of a showing of power when she punched out Superman or lifted a car but that's me.

Quick question, do you read/buy WW comics?

Yes I do.

Jair said:
Again its always about the costume, which doesn't sell comics, they can sex it up all folks want, it still doesn't change the fact it doesn't sell.

I don't consider her sexed up. Do you consider Batman, Superman or Green Lantern to be sexed up? The power of Wonder Woman as a symbol is the fact that her sexuality is uncompromised by her virtue, and vice versa. The simple fact is that she is as superlatively beautiful as she is powerful. Why should she be modest about either?

Jair said:
They have cancelled better selling comics over the years, yet they continue to publish WW, partially in part due to the agreement with the Marston estate, which lets they control the license. If folks want to read a comic with half naked women, why not just move over to Tarot... (not pointing out you, but those who are fixated by her costume)

I think the reason she doesn't sell is because ultimately, she is not treated properly. The closer she gets to Athena/Aphrodite, and the further away from Mother Theresa/Gloria Steinem, the more worth reading she becomes.

I can't speak much on Marvel or how their continuity works but I've heard the X-books are as confusing as anything out there.

I wouldn't disagree with the comment on the X-men for one minute. But the level of confusion in DC's books (thanks to the changes in the multi-verse )is much greater because it impacts their whole universe rather than just one super group (as is the case of the x-men).

Again I think the thing that people are glossing over is the fact not a whole lot of comic buyers read/buy WW much less the general public, who may or may not be fans of hers, they still don't buy the comic.

I get that...but I'm sorry but IMHO "urbanizing" WW may take the "umph" out of that character. Personally I love the mythological upbringing and background of WW. If I want to read about urban characters I will pick up Daredevil. Truth be told I should let JMS' story play out before making a decision....but I'm just not excited by the proposed changes to her background or costume.

I don't consider her sexed up. Do you consider Batman, Superman or Green Lantern to be sexed up? The power of Wonder Woman as a symbol is the fact that her sexuality is uncompromised by her virtue, and vice versa. The simple fact is that she is as superlatively beautiful as she is powerful. Why should she be modest about either?

Exactly...I love the fact that WW is the embodiment of strength, beauty, a warrior's heart, AND she has sex appeal. Yes her costume is appealing and I have no problems stating that. But her costume is also iconic, and the current incarnation of her costume is not my cup of tea. I'm not saying that WW has to run around and fight crime in a wet t-shirt and g-string, but does she have to fight crime in a retro 1990's "New X-men" costume?

Wonder Woman has out of the "DC Trinity" been the most difficult to "get right" because people have different ideas about her. Batman is pretty simple, rich boy who build gadgets, muscular but not hulking to keep the humanity aspect. Superman again, alien, muscular, strong presence. Costumes as well have been pretty close to one another with only subtile changes.

If you look at Wondy, some like the large muscular, other the soft feminine. Some want tall, others shorter than the other heroes. Some want the Lynda Carter look without question, others more Greek. Each one of her writers tries to put their stamp on her and so do the artists which leads for strange consistencies amongst them. Adam Hughes, Michael Turner, Jim Lee, Alex Ross, the list goes on and one about how they wanted her to look and not how she looked just a couple of issues ago in terms of things from spanky length to body proportions.

Hell Perez was brought in to write the Blackest Night tie-ins and left Gail Simone pissed and out in the dark continuing her line separate. Johns even admitted that he was wrong in going with Perez instead of consulting with Simone after issue 1.

She has been treated like an afterthought even though she is one of DC's most iconic heroes and now that they are trying to streamline her I guarantee you that it'll piss off the real fans of hers more than anything else.

Personally I've always preferred the softer Wondy over the tall Amazon who is buff because it made it much more of a showing of power when she punched out Superman or lifted a car but that's me.

I think you mean Rucka on the Blackest Night tie-ins and Simone herself said while she wasn't consulted, she thought Rucka had a tremendous amount of respect and wasn't too concerned with him writing it.

Evan

Yes I do.

I think the reason she doesn't sell is because ultimately, she is not treated properly. The closer she gets to Athena/Aphrodite, and the further away from Mother Theresa/Gloria Steinem, the more worth reading she becomes.

They have been sexing her up here and there over the years, sometimes her bottoms get cut pretty close to a thong, other times she suddenly becomes PowerGirl up top, its part of comics but to think the artists don't sex up WW when they can.... When I start seeing crotch shots and close up ass shots of GL or Batman let me know! Women in comics are drawn as ideals and usually clothed less and less, its part and parcel with the audience.

Don't get me wrong I love the costume the way it is and I have no problems with it what so ever but they are trying a new direction and if it brings in readers thats all DC cares about. I have pretty much every WW statue out there, some pretty nice AH! prints, etc... her costume is iconic but I also think she is more than just the costume.

Your last response is part of the problem, you have a lot of different ideas amongst WW readers on what she should be, I've heard stuff in the line of ohh she is like my mother or sister, so she should never have a boyfriend or god forbid sex. Others have said she can't joke around and needs to be a hardass warrior women. Superman and Batman don't seem to have this problem, least from what I can tell.

I think DC should put an all ages WW out similar to Supergirl Adventures in the 8th grade, or Tiny Titans, to try and get some younger girls reading the comic. I would also like to see AH! All Star WW or something similar to what Morrison did with All Star Superman out there as well.

Evan

When I look at Cheshire or Star Sapphire, or all the old Image girls, I see sexed-up. But even when Benes draws Diana, ass hanging out all over the place (and I'm pretty sure he's the first to seriously push that boundary), excessively sexual is still not the effect I experience. Sex, yes. Prurient, not really.

All-Star Wonder Woman is the only thing I'm looking forward to right now. If this story ends up being any good, I'll pick it up in TPB.

I think you mean Rucka on the Blackest Night tie-ins and Simone herself said while she wasn't consulted, she thought Rucka had a tremendous amount of respect and wasn't too concerned with him writing it.

You're right, I meant Rucka. While Gail towed the company line eventually I do sincerely remember reading a quote where she admits she was upset that the planning of Blackest Night involving Wonder Woman continued without her input or her storylines even consulted. Think about it, Gail Simone has been praised on Wonder Woman both fanatically and critically, yet the DC Chiefs literally went completely and ignored what Simone had been writing and had her deeply infatuated and still in love with Batman leading to her acceptance of the Sapphire ring.

The fans went ape____....

I had great respect for Rucka's run on Wonder Woman but this whole unrequited love deal with Bruce is absolutely ludicrous. There is a complete disconnect to what is going on in Diana's title currently

Wow, Mr Rucka what WW comic have I been reading? Clearly no respect to what Ms Simone has been writing or any WW writer.

Diana is supposedly out of the blue so in love with Batman still that he is the only thing that represents love for her and she is still holding some torch for him?

both Rucka and Nicola did a great job in their presentation of Diana but it doesn't exactly fit in with Diana that we've seen with Simone

Honestly, how many other writers would have this happen to them? DC would never do this to Morrison or Johns, they hold continuity tight in those titles (Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern) especially during events and usually in between them. Yet Simone's run on Wonder Woman was easily just tossed aside for another WW writer to put their spin on Diana? To me that proved without the shadow of a doubt that she is seriously an afterthought in the DC Head offices regardless about how much the character itself is loved.

Exactly...I love the fact that WW is the embodiment of strength, beauty, a warrior's heart, AND she has sex appeal. Yes her costume is appealing and I have no problems stating that. But her costume is also iconic, and the current incarnation of her costume is not my cup of tea. I'm not saying that WW has to run around and fight crime in a wet t-shirt and g-string, but does she have to fight crime in a retro 1990's "New X-men" costume?

:goodpost:

You're right, I meant Rucka. While Gail towed the company line eventually I do sincerely remember reading a quote where she admits she was upset that the planning of Blackest Night involving Wonder Woman continued without her input or her storylines even consulted. Think about it, Gail Simone has been praised on Wonder Woman both fanatically and critically, yet the DC Chiefs literally went completely and ignored what Simone had been writing and had her deeply infatuated and still in love with Batman leading to her acceptance of the Sapphire ring.

The fans went ape____....

Honestly, how many other writers would have this happen to them? DC would never do this to Morrison or Johns, they hold continuity tight in those titles (Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern) especially during events and usually in between them. Yet Simone's run on Wonder Woman was easily just tossed aside for another WW writer to put their spin on Diana? To me that proved without the shadow of a doubt that she is seriously an afterthought in the DC Head offices regardless about how much the character itself is loved.

Fans always go ape____, especially with WW, the reactions to JMS's portrayal of her in BB #33 was insane, they couldn't believe she made some jokes...

I honestly think thats more of an issue with WW in general then with Simone, she always speaks highly of DC editorial and the higher-ups and isn't afraid to speak her mind, either on her forum or in person at events (luckily here in the NW, I usally see her a few times a year). While being probably the highest profile female writer, she still doesn't sell like either of those two writers you mentions ( I think her writing is great). I know she has said editorial had her add somethings to her WW run, but she has also said they have been the most supportive group she could have asked for.

Evan

Back