Statue Witch-King in True Form Statue.. Link to Buy in 1st Post!.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd pack the pieces in a bag and put everything else back as is.

The main body will move around alot Josh......will do...I look at it this way...The photos already show how badly it was...It cant get too much worse I think....or can it?...hmmmmm

That's true. It's broke all to heck so it may not matter. You could fix the styrofoam just a bit to keep it from moving so much but they've seen the pics. So you should be ok.

I'm really beginning to hate sideshow business practices. First with the NRD and now replacements depends on the amount of damage. I had a broken sheath and sideshow is offering a $65 credit on a preorder and not on THIS order for my exclusive and they won't replace it. Anyone out there willing to repair it for $65 plus shipping back and forth? I have already cut back on buying a lot this past year, I guess I need to cut back more because the sideshow guarantee is unreliable and makes me sick.

Well I picked it up tonight and wasn't very optimistic based on the condition of the box and even less so when I opened it and saw the sponge corners on one side were lifted off so the inner box was resting against the outer box. Then when removing the art box I saw that the the top lid/flap was not seated properly and bent like the styrofoam woudn't fit so it was forced in. But it's a festivus miracle, nothing was damaged. :banana

But that's where the good news ends...

First Impression:

- after seeing pics and now seeing it in person, I can confirm I don't like the skin tone. I prefer the grey/blue of the original SSW or the LS Bust over the tan of this maquette.
- the overall figure just doesn't seem to be sharp and crisp (for lack of a better description). Everything seems to be more rounded off and smooth. I think I'll attribute this to the molding process.
- I can't tell you how much I despise that the morgul blade is sculpted into the sheath so that he's actually got two of them when the exclusive hand is used. Even though you can't really see it from the angle it's displayed, I know it's there and it bothers the hell out of me. To me it would have been better just to have the sheath sculpted without the blade which works with both the exclusive and regular.
- I don't think the witchking was bald. There is no hair on the top of his head in the crown.
- the gap between the head and body is just a bit too much. I would have hoped it would fit a little more flush.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of this statue. The feeling I have is that more emphasis was put on making a dynamic statue with flowing robes to match the Ringwraith rather than just a good old fashioned Witch-king. Given the option of this statue over the original SSW, I wouldn't think twice about going with the original even though I didn't think that one was fantastic.

Mailing him back out to SS today ...They said replacement...I'm glad...I will repaint him making him a little lighter plus adding touches of white and blue...somewhat like the Weta version...

Last edited:
Good review Fritz, thank for sharing your thoughts. :hi5:
How about some pics. :wink1:
Please. :peace

I'm working on it. :lol I got home early this morning after picking it up and just couldn't wait to open it. I will try and take some tonight if I'm not too preoccupied by the NFL Draft.

I always like posting my first impressions when I get a statue because usually my opinions can change over time. :acme

Well I picked it up tonight and wasn't very optimistic based on the condition of the box and even less so when I opened it and saw the sponge corners on one side were lifted off so the inner box was resting against the outer box. Then when removing the art box I saw that the the top lid/flap was not seated properly and bent like the styrofoam woudn't fit so it was forced in. But it's a festivus miracle, nothing was damaged. :banana

But that's where the good news ends...

First Impression:

- after seeing pics and now seeing it in person, I can confirm I don't like the skin tone. I prefer the grey/blue of the original SSW or the LS Bust over the tan of this maquette.
- the overall figure just doesn't seem to be sharp and crisp (for lack of a better description). Everything seems to be more rounded off and smooth. I think I'll attribute this to the molding process.
- I can't tell you how much I despise that the morgul blade is sculpted into the sheath so that he's actually got two of them when the exclusive hand is used. Even though you can't really see it from the angle it's displayed, I know it's there and it bothers the hell out of me. To me it would have been better just to have the sheath sculpted without the blade which works with both the exclusive and regular.
- I don't think the witchking was bald. There is no hair on the top of his head in the crown.
- the gap between the head and body is just a bit too much. I would have hoped it would fit a little more flush.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of this statue. The feeling I have is that more emphasis was put on making a dynamic statue with flowing robes to match the Ringwraith rather than just a good old fashioned Witch-king. Given the option of this statue over the original SSW, I wouldn't think twice about going with the original even though I didn't think that one was fantastic.

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Nah, nothing to panic about, I'm just personally not a big fan of this one. I think my favorite Twilight Witch-king is the SSW 1/4 Bust.

The bust is fantastic. I just got a couple weeks back and its better than the SSW statue. For me personally this statue is at the top of the heap though as far as this rendition of the character.

I was thinking of buying this as my first Sideshow/Weta piece but after reading the last couple of pages I don't think it will! It seems that it's not very good. But is that because you are all experienced collectors and know what your looking at? So, for me being a new collector do you think I'd appreciate it more, as I have nothing to compare it to? Hope all that makes sense!:lol

I was thinking of buying this as my first Sideshow/Weta piece but after reading the last couple of pages I don't think it will! It seems that it's not very good. But is that because you are all experienced collectors and know what your looking at? So, for me being a new collector do you think I'd appreciate it more, as I have nothing to compare it to? Hope all that makes sense!:lol

I can see maybe not getting this because it could be fragile in transit but I think you may be misreading things if you're assuming people don't think its a good piece. Outside of the statue showing up to three people smashed its been really well recieved. Its the best representation of the character that's been done IMO so far. Its highly detailed, great likeness, skin tone is excellent, and it very much captures that moment IMO. Its a fantastic statue in the line and if its your first one its not a bad place to start.

I can see maybe not getting this because it could be fragile in transit but I think you may be misreading things if you're assuming people don't think its a good piece. Outside of the statue showing up to three people smashed its been really well recieved. Its the best representation of the character that's been done IMO so far. Its highly detailed, great likeness, skin tone is excellent, and it very much captures that moment IMO. Its a fantastic statue in the line and if its your first one its not a bad place to start.

not to mention a relevant character in the hobbit as well.

I'm getting a replacement. Ya! Here's hoping it arrives okay.
If not, I will give up on a replacement and fix the one less damaged and smash the other.

I need to have this in my collection, even if it does come damaged.

If not, I will give up on a replacement and fix the one less damaged and smash the other.

Great news!! Will keep my fingers crossed for ya that this arrives ok. :pray::hi5:

?They are giving you a replacement without shipping the older one back?

Back