Will there be 1/6th scale droids?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers there was a post on here a few weeks ago about the best c3po to use within a 1:6th collection

I have the "funky looking hasbro one" and have never been happy with it (have the funky r2d2 also)

So when I saw a recommendation for resin kits and a link to an ebay vendor I bought one

That said I expected a model kit not a bag of plastic parts, cast solder and a photo of a film c3po as instructions on how it goes together

The parts for the c3po need to be trimmed down as they had excess plastic from the casts and also once trimmed down they didnt fit together right, (hence the real wires in the belly) that was due as much to improvement as it was to badly fitting default pieces. I had to use some milliput to hide some of the ill fitting joints and use screws to hold and piece it together. Hence the articulation in the arms and head (basically screws)

Bought the c3po kit and the r2d2 kit but unfortuately the r2d2 kit has a major flaw

The barrel or body of the r2 is deformed and looks like its dented (badly) - think due to the thinness of the plastic used to cast it

I think they are casts of either a kotobukiyaka (bad spelling i know) or something similar

bought from Thailand :

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-C3...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

The "instructions" for piecing it together was the photograph used in the ebay listing

The arm and knee "fiddly bits" are basically metal solder poured into a cast

I had to re-solder a few pieces that had snapped during postage.

For the price and what can be done with them they are worth the money well c3po is

I may contact them and ask them to send me a replacement barrel for r2d2, but I doubt that it would help tbh

I may try filling it with expanding foam to see if it cant fill out the dents and the deformed areas

Or I may ask Glenn if he can sort it for me - maybe ask him to re-make this part for me

Last edited:
back on subject of original post

Having done this model and realised how intricate some of c3po's parts are, I wonder :

1. If a successful articulated version - new SSC body with moulded c3po armour would work eg. the elbow mechanics, links from top arm to elbow and top arm to forearm . . . they would need to move with the arms etc to be accurate ?

2. Given how intricate he is, how far away would an SSC resolution to making him be ?

Last edited:
I've thought about the articulation on him before as well. I think probably going with ball jointed shoulders and hands. But maybe have 2 sets of arms. 2 straight and two bent at the elbow. He never moves them that much (if any) on screen and those two would probably cover most of the options.

I personally like the Hasbro droids for what they are and was satisfied with them at $20 each, but certainly they don't fit in well with SSC product. The threepio is much too big, especially standing next to the female figures.

The articulation in the arms should be cake for SSC. I think an above average customizer could put joints to the Gentle Giant minbust so SSC should knock that out of the park.

I believe the hardest part will be making hips/legs that could be set at a seated position. I'm not even sure the actual costume was able to "sit".

Yeah, the Hasbro droids really were great for the price and time. That was one thing Hasbro was able to do right was make the odd bodied characters. Some of which look fantastic after a repaint.

back on subject of original post

1. If a successful articulated version - new SSC body with moulded c3po armour would work eg. the elbow mechanics, links from top arm to elbow and top arm to forearm . . . they would need to move with the arms etc to be accurate ?

Since the new body for troopers is already made slimer to cater for the armour, maybe this new body would work for C3P0 too. If SSC can make C3P0, then we did be seeing 4LOM.:lol

Since the new body for troopers is already made slimer to cater for the armour, maybe this new body would work for C3P0 too. If SSC can make C3P0, then we did be seeing 4LOM.:lol

I don't get the concept of building a droid around a base figure. Seems easier to cast a whole body and fit the pieces together at the joints than to make a whole lot of pieces to wrap over a current body.

The "resin" kits out there are just recast Kaiyodo vinyl kits I believe. I have all the Kaiyodo kits from the early 90's and they're great but too small to go with SS figures.

Glenn and I spoke several years ago about a light-up R2 project and considered using the Kaiyodo kits. However, since Sideshow now defines most people's collection for SW 12", I've noticed my Kaiyodo R2 looks like a mini-me R2.

Anyway, as to the question of DROIDS from Sideshow...some day I'm sure. So best to just wait it out. Then have Glenn make your R2 light-up and "beep".

Right, the exclusive version of C3PO can then come with a Anthony Daniels head sculpt.

I'd prefer a Darrell Hammond as Richard Dreyfuss headsculpt.

SNL_DarrellHammond_RichardDreyfuss.jpg

Why not? That's what they did for Anthony daniels.

The dynamics for making a figure is a lot different than what they did in the real world.

Making a suit to fit around a figure would either make the figure too bulky or make the material really thin (thus fragile). The scale of thickness of materials doesn't work for this character. I think its much better to just use an original body and cast all the parts and build it from there.

If Hot Toys can make an all original sculpt Davy Jones I think SSC can pull of C3PO.

Yeah, I think that looks like the way to go IMO. Individual parts for the limbs with ball joints connecting them.

Mooncat those kits are awesome! As for droids, I can't wait. Besides C-3PO and R2-D2 I wouldn't mind seeing Imperial droids like R2-Q5, Mouse Droid, DS Droid and Probe Droid. :)

I would love to have a HT Grievous. But knowing Hot Toys there would be at least three variants: Normal version w/ cape, TWO lightsabers, Blaster and a stand; second version, no cape, four arms; third version, battle damaged chest, no cape, blaster and electro staff and battle damaged hands.. All with the same head and legs.

I'm looking forward to seeing how SS tackles the droids - having a Star Wars line without R2D2 and C3PO is like having a Star Wars line without Darth Vader and Stormtroopers...

...Hmm? Oh, nevermind.

Perhaps three variants for 3PO and R2? Tatooine (dirty), Celebration (clean), and Dagobah and Jabba's Palace (slimey)?

Back