Will tariffs make our hobby even more expensive?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very possible. Even if the first round of tariffs don't directly affect things, trade conflicts escalate. China will respond, U.S. will respond to that, decisions in both areas will affect other countries, and next thing you know, Hot Toys dolls cost 15% more.

But this could all be bluster.

yes..... everything will be more expensive due to the trade war...
Even if its not directly affected they will use that as an excuse to raise prices....

Hell, even the American companies benefiting from the new taxes will not LOWER prices...no one lowers prices anymore....They will just pass the increased profits to our masters who own the stocks....

There's no easy way to determine if companies will decide to raise prices — and if so, by how much.

Depends on the percent of the tariffs. 10% most businesses could eat that but 25% or more we will pay and i will just not buy anymore.

A lot of companies started moving out of China (not to America) a few years ago anyway because it was getting to expensive to have things made there. Tariffs will just make them move faster.

Sideshow already priced me outta this hobby a few years ago all on their own.. prices went up and quality went down... :yess:

The 25% tariff, which would be applied to all products, won't go into effect immediately. And the list isn't final.

Fishing stuff from China already went up. Buy American you say? And pay more middlemen? Nay! Not gonna pay fishing lure that cost $12 when he can pay $4 with free shipping. And they're mostly made in China, like lots of stuff, anyway.

What about the toys and statue collectible, you say? They're continuously over priced. The more ES and products they produced, the more they're worthless, in the end.

Collecting? What's that? I can't remember. Sounds vaguely like one of those things from that time back when everything wasn't too expensive.

Fishing stuff from China already went up. Buy American you say? And pay more middlemen? Nay! Not gonna pay fishing lure that cost $12 when he can pay $4 with free shipping. And they're mostly made in China, like lots of stuff, anyway.

What about the toys and statue collectible, you say? They're continuously over priced. The more ES and products they produced, the more they're worthless, in the end.
Amen to that. A vast amount of these “collectibles” have become overpriced garbage. Sure, if you’re truly a fan of something, you’ll find a way to justify it. But it’s gettig harder and harder to do that.

Personally, I’ve cut back spur of the moment purchases. That’s not a positive thing for a business. They want those top of the pile sales, the ones that were indecisive, but ultimately a fair price and decent reception swayed them. Good luck with that going forward, while actually losing bulk sales from your target demographic(s) as well.

Amen to that. A vast amount of these “collectibles” have become overpriced garbage. Sure, if you’re truly a fan of something, you’ll find a way to justify it. But it’s gettig harder and harder to do that.

Personally, I’ve cut back spur of the moment purchases. That’s not a positive thing for a business. They want those top of the pile sales, the ones that were indecisive, but ultimately a fair price and decent reception swayed them. Good luck with that going forward, while actually losing bulk sales from your target demographic(s) as well.

While I agree with that, I just don't think companies will miss either my business or yours.

Look at the marvel boards. a $500 1/6 IM finally happened, and people literally can not wait to give $$$ to sideshow.

Yes, most of those will likely go into unnecessary debt and then sell the doll at a loss just to pay rent or child support, but that money is already made by HT (or whatever).

Collectors are BEGGING for HT to release a winnie the pooh and charge them $100+.

$100 for a plushy toy.

$100.

Please let that sink in and realize that it is not the companies that are greedy. It is us, as a society that are driving these insane prices.

No one is immune to the coming fire.

Sure, losing a few customers and sales here and there is peanuts, at first. The discontentment is building momentum though. I see comments every day about people cutting back collecting and that’s only on a few message boards and YouTube. And one Facebook group.

Say what you will, but change is inevitable. These companies will either have to adapt or fade into obscurity. You can’t keep raising prices with little to no justification. Especially, as often as it’s happenig now and how steep some of the markups are becoming.

Back