Will Hot Toys ever make General Grievous?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so. Make it diecast. Put some weight behind it. The SSC version is plastic, comes off as cheap, and hard to pose, don’t really care for it to be honest.

With all these PT characters, gives me hope we will see this eventually, along with a ROTS Palpatine.

Sorry, but movie Grievous did a lot more cool stuff than movie Boba Fett.

You think Grievous is a choad, at least he didn't scream like a girl when his jetpack malfunctioned.

I just remember him coughing and doing the twirly-whirl with a half dozen sabers a lot.

What were his big/cool moments? He seemed like a bit of a stooge often played for comic relief in my memory, though I haven't watched anything with him in it for 15 years or so. Didn't seem like the movies treated him all that seriously.

That being said, he's one of those kinda-cool PT designs so I can see why people would love a HT fig of him/it.

He crossed sabers with Kenobi and Skywalker, then escaped leaving them to die aboard a crashing ship. He insulted Nute Gunray. He had a lightsaber fight -- with excuse for twirly action unlike Anakin -- and a car chase with a lizard... and then had an excellent hand-to-hand fight with Obi-Wan... AND had an excellent death (which few Star Wars villains ever get).

He crossed sabers with Kenobi and Skywalker, then escaped leaving them to die aboard a crashing ship. He insulted Nute Gunray. He had a lightsaber fight -- with excuse for twirly action unlike Anakin -- and a car chase with a lizard... and then had an excellent hand-to-hand fight with Obi-Wan... AND had an excellent death (which few Star Wars villains ever get).

Yeah, I forgot about the lizard chase (love the lizard's sound effect) and his death did have a kinda cool end-of-Raiders vibe, though everything was undermined by that PT video-game cutscene CGI look that never quite felt real, thereby diminishing the thrill/stakes (I just took a look at the hand-to-hand and while I love it when Grievous knees Kenobi in the shin, the animation on Grievous doesn't quite look real.) That whole crashing ship scene is just PT-silly though, even if I do like ROTS best of the PT by a long shot.

A figure with him on fire would be cool but I'm guessing HT would focus on twirly saber effects - like a full disc version of those blurred saber additions they included with Vader and Luke.

- like a full disc version of those blurred saber additions they included with Vader and Luke.

That would be kind of neat actually.

Though I never liked the coughing gag and thought his name was lazy/obvious as hell, I always liked the Grievous design and thought he was a good old-school villain on the level of Jabba -- not cool like Vader and Fett (pre-screamer), but just gloriously in love with his own villainy.

Two OT-purists discussing about the possibility of a PT tuberculosis cyborg whether being made or not.

Interesting.

Well now that we have the ST...

I mean, what would you rather have: Grievous or Phasma?

Three movies, three opportunities for more great Star Wars villains, did we get any? Any alien bad guy...? a robot bad guy...? nope. Just a bunch of weird looking white males, and one faceless woman.

That would be kind of neat actually.

Though I never liked the coughing gag and thought his name was lazy/obvious as hell, I always liked the Grievous design and thought he was a good old-school villain on the level of Jabba -- not cool like Vader and Fett (pre-screamer), but just gloriously in love with his own villainy.

Now there's where we depart. Jabba's an iconic villain that even non-fans use as a point of reference (usually for umm... commenting on the body diverse) whereas nobody outside of SW fans would have even heard of General Grievous. Jabba's also instantly recognizable by his image versus Grievous would have people shrugging as to who he is.

And yeah, names like maul, sleazabaggano and grievous were... hmm, not sure what the word is. Though Greedo is probably almost in that category. At least Jabba wasn't Fatta the Butt or something.

But yeah, while I really can't watch the PT ever again (for the most part - there are bits I can tolerate like Jango vs Obi in the rain) and was indeed one of those traumatized by the whole thing, I will concede liking maybe 1/3 of the designs in the movies. Even JarJar could have been an interesting design for a totally different take on the character. And Greivous is one of those kind of cool designs (even if he doesn't look like a real object in a physical environment maybe 50-75% of the time.)

Two OT-purists discussing about the possibility of a PT tuberculosis cyborg whether being made or not.

Interesting.

:rotfl

How many will pay $400 -$450 or more for it?

I gotta win the lottery or somethin' to keep up!
I'm already mentally prepared for it. I had the SS Grievous but sold it because it was terribly proportioned and could barely stand up. The HT Grievous, Palpatine, and Mace are my top 3 wants. With my luck, they will all go up for order at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm already mentally prepared for it. I had the SS Grievous but sold it because it was terribly proportioned and could barely stand up. The HT Grievous, Palpatine, and Mace are my top 3 wants. With my luck, they will all go up for order at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It would be a nice piece for sure....I am still waiting for their Jango

Now there's where we depart. Jabba's an iconic villain ...

I knew that would trigger you. :lol

I wasn't comparing Grievous to Jabba in pop culture. I was comparing their comic villainy -- both are big, bold, overly confident villains who lavish in their own villainy. Both are the "other villain" to the Emperor in their respective finale of their trilogies. Structurally, they serve similar purposes.

How many will pay $400 -$450 or more for it?

I gotta win the lottery or somethin' to keep up!

I’d spend over $500, probably $600. Give me his Wheel Bike while we are at it too. And Boga for Kenobi. But that’s because I’m probably the only one on this site that personally likes the PT more than the OT (yes I realize I’m probably dead to you guys now :lol).

All diecast GG, with swap out battle damaged parts, the 4 arm look, the 2 arm look, wired cape, 4 lightsabers, a blaster, swap out head and chest plate pieces for his “demised” look (aka on fire death scene), and maybe some sliced up Clone Trooper parts, like they did with the Battle Droids, and a unique base from Utapua.

...But that’s because I’m probably the only one on this site that personally likes the PT more than the OT (yes I realize I’m probably dead to you guys now :lol).

rethink your life.jpg

His bike was a great design. While I do like Grievous and his design, I would hardly say his hand-to-hand with anyone in the film was excellent. He was trying to escape in pretty much every scene he shared with a hero. He failed against the Jedi and ran away in the first act, he failed against ObiWan and ran away in the second act, had a cool bike scene, then died horribly, meanwhile while Obi-Wan essentially only had his hair out of place. A villain that always runs away and fails against the heroes at every turn is a failure as a villain. Obi-Wan is never at any point intimidated, concerned or even unsure that facing Grievous will be anything other than a total victory. As a viewer you never once feel Obi-Wan was in danger so Grievous sort of becomes a bore as a villain. He even stops speaking once the clone army arrives, he just growls and coughs a bit from the time the army arrives to his death. As a viewer you're not engaged and are just watching things happen. Imagine if Vader never spoke to Luke once they started their duel in ESB, or if the Emperor never spoke during the climax of ROTJ. Meanwhile, in the old Micro-Series, Grievous taunted and hounded the Jedi, he was competent, scary and they were absolutely terrified of him. I still find that Grievous to be very memorable.

Sorry for the rant, these are really larger storytelling issues more than just General Grievous issues, but it is the reason you don't really care about Grievous as a villain, despite him doing some cool things.

But yeah, while I really can't watch the PT ever again (for the most part - there are bits I can tolerate like Jango vs Obi in the rain) and was indeed one of those traumatized by the whole thing, I will concede liking maybe 1/3 of the designs in the movies. Even JarJar could have been an interesting design for a totally different take on the character. And Greivous is one of those kind of cool designs (even if he doesn't look like a real object in a physical environment maybe 50-75% of the time.)

:rotfl

The Prequels had so many great designs, it had so much going for it, it's just such a shame how they turned out.

Obi-Wan is never at any point intimidated, concerned or even unsure .....

Well, Obi-Wan does step back with concerned once Grievous starts spinning those blades... but I get you're point, and yes he spends too much time running away.

But I always chalked Grievous up to one of those type villains, much like Hux. You can't have every villain be as cool as Vader, or no one would be cool.

Grievous was awesome and intimidating in the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars facing the Jedi surrounded on the crashed ship. I loved that.

I knew that would trigger you. :lol

I wasn't comparing Grievous to Jabba in pop culture. I was comparing their comic villainy -- both are big, bold, overly confident villains who lavish in their own villainy. Both are the "other villain" to the Emperor in their respective finale of their trilogies. Structurally, they serve similar purposes.

Here's another one you'll love in that department, they're kind of dime a dozen in major franchises....

maxresdefault.jpg

:lol

And I can't dispute Grievous' purpose as I really can't remember all that much about what he did. I seem to recall he was allied with the bad guys (I was unclear on who the bad guys were exactly in the PT) unlike Jabba who was kind of a free agent totally independent of the Empire.

His bike was a great design. While I do like Grievous and his design, I would hardly say his hand-to-hand with anyone in the film was excellent. He was trying to escape in pretty much every scene he shared with a hero. He failed against the Jedi and ran away in the first act, he failed against ObiWan and ran away in the second act, had a cool bike scene, then died horribly, meanwhile while Obi-Wan essentially only had his hair out of place. A villain that always runs away and fails against the heroes at every turn is a failure as a villain. Obi-Wan is never at any point intimidated, concerned or even unsure that facing Grievous will be anything other than a total victory. As a viewer you never once feel Obi-Wan was in danger so Grievous sort of becomes a bore as a villain. He even stops speaking once the clone army arrives, he just growls and coughs a bit from the time the army arrives to his death. As a viewer you're not engaged and are just watching things happen. Imagine if Vader never spoke to Luke once they started their duel in ESB, or if the Emperor never spoke during the climax of ROTJ. Meanwhile, in the old Micro-Series, Grievous taunted and hounded the Jedi, he was competent, scary and they were absolutely terrified of him. I still find that Grievous to be very memorable.

Sorry for the rant, these are really larger storytelling issues more than just General Grievous issues, but it is the reason you don't really care about Grievous as a villain, despite him doing some cool things.

The Prequels had so many great designs, it had so much going for it, it's just such a shame how they turned out.

Yeah, after killing Greivous Obi Wan kinda fixes his foppish-dandy hair, rolls off a "so uncivilized" line and saunters away.

My favorite moment in that fight is when Obi-Wan exposes Greivous' alien pee-pee by tearing open his armor and Grievous growls in protest.:lol

And Obi Wan basically just plain ol' shoots Greivous to kill him, using a gun that Greivous could easily have used to kill Obi Wan a few moments earlier, but instead chooses the mano-a-mano. That's the problem with being a massive cyborg run by an alien comprised of a pair of eyes and a pee-pee.:lol

Back