Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

• HOT TOYS produce much more pieces than before.

Votes: 190 60.7%
  • The Collectors are less interested to this product.

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • BOTH of the above.

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters
:exactly:

I have a question on overpriced Hot Toys, How the hell do young collectors in their teens and twenties, which is the majority collectors here, afford to buy a single figure that cost close to $300 with shipping?

When I was that age I used my limited funds on college, clothes, food, car, entertainment, girlfriend and going out to clubs, concerts, movies and restaurants. Buying a high end action figure for $200 - $300 that does nothing for you but set on a shelf collecting dust doesn't make any sense IMO.

This is very true. I can't figure it out either. I had a part time job and went to school but couldn't imagine how many nights in and saving it would've taken to buy these figures. I spent a lot on my social life and enjoyed that...sprinkle in some CDs and video games. But, I think the life of a teen-twenty has changed significantly over the last 10-15 years. I don't tink people are as social, to be honest. It's not an insult or anything, it's just the way it is. Though, I think the majority that collects $200-$300 action figures are introverts...some extremely so.

I have a question on overpriced Hot Toys, How the hell do young collectors in their teens and twenties, which is the majority collectors here, afford to buy a single figure that cost close to $300 with shipping?

When I was that age I used my limited funds on college, clothes, food, car, entertainment, girlfriend and going out to clubs, concerts, movies and restaurants. Buying a high end action figure for $200 - $300 that does nothing for you but set on a shelf collecting dust doesn't make any sense IMO.

What makes you think the majority of collectors here are that young? I don't get the feeling most HT collectors are teenagers or broke college kids. Broke people don't buy $250 toys.

I figure most are in their upper 20s or lower 30s, maybe even a bit older ... people with more money than a high schooler.

SnakeDoc

Actually I think we are diverting from the subject here but I have to say that despite the differences between our cultures "I am from Saudi Arabia" but I think all over the world the previous generations knew the value of money and the joy of earning it more than the current generation that's why it was harder for them to spend it on a toy or a luxury items.

Now for a teenage it's easier to earn money and that's why it's easier to spend it.
15 years back who could imagine that you can sell your old toys for a very high price because you are calling them "Rare" or "hard to find" :rotfl

I figure most are in their upper 20s or lower 30s, maybe even a bit older ... people with more money than a high schooler.

There was a 'How do you guys afford this hobby' thread a while back. The overwhelming flavour of the responses was "I have a job". There may be a number of noisy teens on this forum, but I'd guess that there are more members here older than 25 than younger.

Neither. I think they try to meet demand. They try to give the collector what they want ... but, in the process, they end up with a lot of licenses, and collectors have to make choices. Meeting consumer demand isn't greed, it is business. Choices are a good thing. Profit is a good thing. Win-win.

I doesn't matter to them -- or us -- if stuff takes a bit longer to sell out. Collectors get their stuff, and its a little easier to get if it doesn't sell out instantly. They still sell out eventually ... so they still profit, as they should.

May irritate flippers, hoarders, completists, and those who use toys as an investment vehicle ... but they get what they deserve on that one. Straighten your priorities and invest better.

I don't think the industry will necessarily fail. Seems like it is doing quite well. The comics industry fell because demand cratered and the market was flooded with idiots buying too many copies as investments. I don't see demand cratering on these anytime soon, and most people aren't buying these for stupid reasons like "investment".

SnakeDoc

You got a point here, giving to collectors what they want.

EXACTLY.
And most collectors want to collect something its going to be sold out.
But what if they overproduce and their Figure don´t sell out AT ALL anymore?

You know one thing? SSC and HT LOVE (I wrote love not like) to produce what the know it´s almost sold out.
You know what is happening these days?
Since their toys are not going to be sold out on the release people is taking time, ergo.... they are NOT preordering anymore.

These days preorders don´t make anymore sense,
why do you have to commit yourself to SSC with a preorder, when you probably will get a better price from a shop or a flipper that overordered and want to get rid of his stock fast?

Another good question is PRICE.
In every economy there is a rule, larger the production of something, lower the price of each piece.
Around one year ago the price of a DX was 199 bucks,
now with that money you cant even buy most of the normal MMS.
They produce 2X maybe 3X times the quantities of 2 years ago, and instead of lowering the prices the rised it about 30/50%.
(Sideshow is doing the same with statues,
Premium Format one year ago were priced 230/260 and had a lower run,
now they have increased the Edition Size and rised the prices of 30% or more.

Does all this make sense?

I think Hot Toys increased production because of increasing demand.
But on the other end Hot Toys is acquiring more licenses and simply it's hard to ask for that much money from customers.

I really hope people on here arent complaining about over producing stuff. I personally am sick of jerkoffs buying all this stuff only to mark it up to astronomical prices, not allowing somebody that might actually be saving up to buy that figure! Prices are already redicilous as it is.
So to Hot Toys, please keep production runs high, but lower your prices! Problem solved.

No doubt. Secondary sellers can suck it.

There is no economic law that says higher production runs equate to lower prices, but if they discover that their higher runs can't support higher prices, they'll learn or crash. Only time will tell.

Can I vote for bad character decisions?

Rorschach not made, and Spectre IS made?

What were they thinking?

I bet a Rorschach would have sold out, as would a nighthawk, or Ozy. I know I'd have bought em.

Can I vote for bad character decisions?

Rorschach not made, and Spectre IS made?

What were they thinking?

I bet a Rorschach would have sold out, as would a nighthawk, or Ozy. I know I'd have bought em.
its not nighthawk its Nite Owl

Ive been collecting Hot Toys figures for 2 1/2 years now. Ive got nine HT figures so far and out of those nine Ive had problems right out of the box with 5 of them. Granted most were minor issues,they were issues none the less. So its been a 50/50 chance that I will get a flawless figure so far and that really bugs me. So lately Ive been really skeptical of purchasing every HT figure I want,skipped 4 so far. Ive seen increases in price and not the best quality control. Im starting to feel my money might be spent better elsewhere....which sucks cause overall HT is the ****! Thankfully Sideshow has been excellent with replacement pieces or I would of quit collecting Hot Toys.

Ive been collecting Hot Toys figures for 2 1/2 years now. Ive got nine HT figures so far and out of those nine Ive had problems right out of the box with 5 of them. Granted most were minor issues,they were issues none the less. So its been a 50/50 chance that I will get a flawless figure so far and that really bugs me. So lately Ive been really skeptical of purchasing every HT figure I want,skipped 4 so far. Ive seen increases in price and not the best quality control. Im starting to feel my money might be spent better elsewhere....which sucks cause overall HT is the ****! Thankfully Sideshow has been excellent with replacement pieces or I would of quit collecting Hot Toys.

I've bought 9 since November 2011 (actually 8 since Nov, I've had DX01 for a couple of years.) Indy's arm was broken and Captain Jack had box damage. Otherwise they've all been great. Sideshow replaced Indy's body and gave me $25 back for Jack's box. The $25 might not have quite been worth it, but I gave them a break and accepted it since they had taken such good care of me with Indy.

Over production and over pricing.
This.

Their prices could take a slight reduction. For instance, the new TDKR Batman should be around $200 and the ASM Spidey should be $170 tops, and that's their msrp, not what a select few stores are willing to charge.

There is such a thing as pricing yourself out of business. We are starting to see the tip of that iceberg, I'm afraid. It's not like they are producing less figures and reducing projects. And it's not like the economy isn't still in a mess, compounded each year by inflation. And it's not like pay is going up by much, if at all. I'm sure America isn't the only one feeling the pinch either. In a way, we are all linked. We all import and export. So, a rough economy in one country can impact the others, to a degree.

Hot Toys should wake up. They really can't "afford" to raise their prices much higher... at least not for a good while anyway.

Last edited:
This.

Their prices could take a slight reduction. For instance, the new TDKR Batman should be around $200 and the ASM should be $170 tops, and that's their msrp, not what a select few stores are willing to charge.

There is such a thing as pricing yourself out of business. We are starting to see the tip of that iceberg, I'm afraid. It's not like they are producing less figures and reducing projects. And it's not like the economy isn't still in a mess, compounded each year by inflation. And it's not like pay is going up by much, if at all. I'm sure America isn't the only one feeling the pinch either. In a way, we are all linked. We all import and export. So, a rough economy in one country can impact the others, to a degree.

Hot Toys should wake up. They really can't "afford" to raise their prices much higher... at least not for a good while anyway.

I think they're hitting the limit. I don't think the prices can go over the $300 mark. I understand why Hulk is pressing against it. He's 16.5 inches, thick, and the best Avengers character, but if they think the average price for their figures can be $250 or so anytime in the next few years, then they're going to see a big drop in volume.

I plan on cutting way back on my HT purchases after Avengers and TDKR. Way back.

What I meant by hitting the tip of the iceberg is a significant drop in sales, and in effect "interest," by current or past fans. I've noticed a lot of people are complaining about the price and, as such, are using that to justify literally every nitpick about prototype/production images of a given figure.

We've hit the overhead. Hot Toys is beginning to "essentially" price themselves out of business. Although, it's not like they're alone in that, sadly. Unless it's a figure that people can't try and do themselves, or it's simply something they have to have, as a die hard fan... it's looking like there could be a lot more selectiveness as a 1/6 consumer these days.

What I meant by hitting the tip of the iceberg is a significant drop in sales, and in effect "interest," by current or past fans. I've noticed a lot of people are complaining about the price and, as such, are using that to justify literally every nitpick about prototype/production images of a given figure.

We've hit the overhead. Hot Toys is beginning to "essentially" price themselves out of business. Although, it's not like they're alone in that, sadly. Unless it's a figure that people can't try and do themselves, or it's simply something they have to have, as a die hard fan... it's looking like there could be a lot more selectiveness as a 1/6 consumer these days.

Yeah, well that happens and it's reasonable. The higher the price, the less patience the consumer should have for imperfections.

No doubt.

However, I believe it's forcing excessive scrutinizing of every aspect about a figure anymore. Things we used to be okay with are now completely unacceptable and these days people have to have the source entirely replicated... spot on, or the product gets slammed and discarded like trash. This is a generalization of course, as not all are like that. Anyway, the prices going up means Hot Toys can afford to make far, far, far less mistakes with each product. This is counter productive when there's already discontentment about pricing.

That is a good point. Some of us are professionals but regardless most of us are holding down a job with money committed to a number of more important things. Maybe the news guy is right, the internet and mobile phones means young people do less of the meeting up and leaving the house?

Back