Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

• HOT TOYS produce much more pieces than before.

Votes: 190 60.7%
  • The Collectors are less interested to this product.

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • BOTH of the above.

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters
I don't think it can be "both". If they weren't selling more than they did back in say 2010 then they wouldn't be producing so many.

People were paying $300-500 for used AVP figures years ago. Back then, that was more than a PF (and for the most part, it still is).

You guys really think price has something to do with it? No doubt the price is much higher than before (First DX joker was only 165!), but I know people are willing to pay stupid money for a sold out figure.

When a figure is sold out, it's suddenly okay to pay 400 dollars, but prior to selling out..everyone complain about it being 219. Also after it's sold out, the same peeps who complained about the price will say things like "thank god I PO when I had the chance" as if they got the steal of the century! I think it's the over production, not really the price.

It is partially price ... but mostly that HT is cannibalizing its own market. They're competing with themselves.

Just since summer started ... Hot Toys has announced Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Hawkeye, Widow, Coulson, Thor, Loki, Fury, 1/4 Batman, DX Batman, Joker 2.0, Bane, Catwoman, Gordon, Black Tumbler, Camo Tumbler, Batpod, 89 Batmobile, The Bat, 66 Batmobile.

Buying all that crap would cost, I don't know, $6K-$8K depending on the price of The Bat. That's just from two licenses -- Avengers and Batman. I know they've also got Expendables, Avatar, Star Wars, Batman Returns, Superman, Man of Steel, Raimi Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man, Indiana Jones, X-Men, Wolverine ... etc., etc.

With so many figures coming at once, collectors are having to choose between HT licenses ... skip Avengers for TDKR, or vice versa. Forget Spider-man or Expendables or Indy for Superman or 89 Batman or Wolverine.

Same number of fans (maybe even more). Same amount of money (maybe even more). LOTS more licenses and DOZENS more figures a year ... items sit on the shelf longer. Simple economic scarcity.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
It is partially price ... but mostly that HT is cannibalizing its own market. They're competing with themselves.

Just since summer started ... Hot Toys has announced Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Hawkeye, Widow, Coulson, Thor, Loki, Fury, 1/4 Batman, DX Batman, Joker 2.0, Bane, Catwoman, Gordon, Black Tumbler, Camo Tumbler, Batpod, 89 Batmobile, The Bat, 66 Batmobile.

Buying all that crap would cost, I don't know, $6K-$8K depending on the price of The Bat. That's just from two licenses -- Avengers and Batman. I know they've also got Expendables, Avatar, Star Wars, Batman Returns, Superman, Man of Steel, Raimi Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man, Indiana Jones, X-Men, Wolverine ... etc., etc.

With so many figures coming at once, collectors are having to choose between HT licenses ... skip Avengers for TDKR, or vice versa. Forget Spider-man or Expendables or Indy for Superman or 89 Batman or Wolverine.

Same number of fans (maybe even more). Same amount of money (maybe even more). LOTS more licenses and DOZENS more figures a year ... items sit on the shelf longer. Simple economic scarcity.

SnakeDoc
Do you think they do it because they are greedy or because they know this industry will fall so they are cashing as much as they can until it will happens?

Aren't we the same people that kick started those comics in the 90's? Look what happened there. We're older and make a little more money now, but here we go doing the same sorta thing, only with toys, statues, omnibuses and other collectibles...

Do you think they do it because they are greedy or because they know this industry will fall so they are cashing as much as they can until it will happens?

Neither. I think they try to meet demand. They try to give the collector what they want ... but, in the process, they end up with a lot of licenses, and collectors have to make choices. Meeting consumer demand isn't greed, it is business. Choices are a good thing. Profit is a good thing. Win-win.

I doesn't matter to them -- or us -- if stuff takes a bit longer to sell out. Collectors get their stuff, and its a little easier to get if it doesn't sell out instantly. They still sell out eventually ... so they still profit, as they should.

May irritate flippers, hoarders, completists, and those who use toys as an investment vehicle ... but they get what they deserve on that one. Straighten your priorities and invest better.

I don't think the industry will necessarily fail. Seems like it is doing quite well. The comics industry fell because demand cratered and the market was flooded with idiots buying too many copies as investments. I don't see demand cratering on these anytime soon, and most people aren't buying these for stupid reasons like "investment".

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Riiiight. I guess I'm the only one that remembers people buying 6+ Christopher Reeve Superman figures because they thought they'd be worth tons! :lol

Riiiight. I guess I'm the only one that remembers people buying 6+ Christopher Reeve Superman figures because they thought they'd be worth tons! :lol

Most people aren't that stupid, and the rest get what they deserve.

SnakeDoc

IMO the over pricing is the main reason, 300$ tag in a monthly basis is not affordable to everyone and EVEN if it's affordable it dosent make sense sometimes.

Personally I might pay for the figure of my most beloved characters but other than that I will stick to the other producers who's providing a little bit lesser quality alternatives for half the price.

IMO the over pricing is the main reason, 300$ tag in a monthly basis is not affordable to everyone and EVEN if it's affordable it dosent make sense sometimes.

Personally I might pay for the figure of my most beloved characters but other than that I will stick to the other producers who's providing a little bit lesser quality alternatives for half the price.

:exactly:

I have a question on overpriced Hot Toys, How the hell do young collectors in their teens and twenties, which is the majority collectors here, afford to buy a single figure that cost close to $300 with shipping?

When I was that age I used my limited funds on college, clothes, food, car, entertainment, girlfriend and going out to clubs, concerts, movies and restaurants. Buying a high end action figure for $200 - $300 that does nothing for you but set on a shelf collecting dust doesn't make any sense IMO.

Back