Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

• HOT TOYS produce much more pieces than before.

Votes: 190 60.7%
  • The Collectors are less interested to this product.

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • BOTH of the above.

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters
Price is the biggest reason.

Eg. Sideshow released a surprise MKVI Iron Man for $185, it sold out same day. (having them in stock and not a preorder helped too)

Collectors have no choice but to be very selective nowadays. Plus, on top of all that, HT's continues to re-release older released items, flooding the market further.

For me certainly it's price, if each piece was cheaper i'd probably buy more and acctually land up spending more the way it's going though i'll be very selective and land up spending less and quite possible giving up on hot toys alltogether.

The pre-order system alone guarantees a customer an action figure. Hot Toys then manufactures the pre-ordered figures PLUS extras for toy shops to have an opportunity to have stock on-hand other than the pre-order.. then there are the factory overruns which still passed Quality Control, and become 'For Sale' months after the figure is released..

In short, there is no more SCARCITY! If Hot Toys puts out serial numbered releases, then we will start seeing sell-out releases again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over production and over pricing.

Price is the biggest reason.
Collectors have no choice but to be very selective nowadays. Plus, on top of all that, HT's continues to re-release older released items, flooding the market further.

In short, there is no more SCARCITY! If Hot Toys puts out serial numbered releases, then we will start seeing sell-out releases again.

All of the above......too much of a good thing

Last edited:
1. Overproduction to curb the 'remake it for me' whiners
2. Increased prices
3. Too many figures causing people to cancel to get the latest pre-order
4. Them not being unique one of a kind limited collectibles anymore will have some collectors lose interest in them
5. Lack of variety of characters (same ones most of the time) lose interest from those who own those characters already

Last edited:
I don't think overproduction is a reason. I think that the finite number of available sellable licenses exist (and often these licenses spread over multiple manufacturers). There's not really an infinite number of figures you can make. For example when you produce numerous versions of Batman, Jack Sparrow, Spiderman, Ironman, etc, you're going to eventually run out of customers.

Plus not all licenses appeal to all collectors, so there is a limited number of customers. Like I hate superheroes, no interest at all. But I'd be all over another Godfather figure or something interesting that hasn't been done yet.

So that and price are the main reasons, in my opinion.

Sean

Last edited:
Production and pricing. But IMO, the high production is not a huge deal. I'm not looking to make 2X+ on these things. I'm more interested in just getting the characters that I like. I do think they need to dial back their pricing a bit, because in the longer run that's what's going to tick off and disenfranchise collectors.

Price for sure. These things are cheap and so it takes long to get to that sellout point.

I don't know that this a poll worthy topic as it's not something that is opinion based. If the thesis is correct - "Hot Toys figures don't sell out any more" - then there is a fact based answer to the question.

If it was phrased - "Why do you THINK Hot Toys don't sell out any more, then it might be open to opinions.

But the facts are that they DO sell out. Batman 89 is waitlisted and many other recent HT figures are sold out or waitlisted.

As with any manufacturer, they are trying to meet the demand for their product. Sometimes they over produce, sometimes they under produce. If there's sufficient demand they re-manufacture, like with the Tumbler.

As for price - SSC used to have the model of making a figure for the price they thought we would pay. If they couldn't do it for that price, they would either dumb it down, or not produce it.

However I think HT makes the figures they want to make at the highest level they can make them and then figure out how much they have to charge for it. They discovered that we will actually pay that price and that has changed the 1/6 hobby. SSC has learned that and made adjustments accordingly, as has Enterbay.

Back