Why Hot Toys taking so long to sell out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not really u can get below retail on ebay, i just scored one extra superman reeves for 50$ less than i got when i pre ordered my first one,.they have increased their production, because they know thei market is big and interest will be there for years after one item is released, its just a myth that the hot toys bubble has burst, it will only burst if another company released something better from the same lines, but i suspect enterbay and 3a gaining film rights, that might have already started . lets see where this will go

Well, Ebay is a separate entity and does not affect retail pricing. If these things retailed for an average of $100-150 as opposed to nearly $300 they would sell like hot cakes.

Dude, no offense, but that's really asinine. That's like saying why are porsche sold for a ridiculous amount of money. I want one but I can't afford it, but when I can afford one, they come out with a new model making the one I just bought obsolete.

Yep, and by your own example the value of that Porsche halves as soon as you drive it out of the showroom. Pretty much where HT is headed with their figures, which is what Singuy was suggesting.

What? Porsches are expensive because they are of quality (not for display, but for it's performance and pedigree)...and they are not really expensive if you compare to what you actually get.

Hot toys should be like Enzos (mostly for display, and knowing that you have one), which are limited and if there's a new model..it's completely different..making them collector items. Their value only goes up (as long as you don't drive them across country). Porsches, are like Lexus and Infinities..who the heck collects them, you are suppose to use them?

When it comes to plastics, you can't get more expensive than Hot Toys. Like what people said, it SHOULD be limited with edition sizes.

Most people have "disposable income" while they have a credit debt, mortgage, and student loans. Just because you are making your monthly payments, doesn't really mean you have disposible income UNTIL all your debts are paid off (because any disposable income should go towards your debt).

If you want to spend thousands on hot toys if you are debt free and have no kids, be my guest..but that's not the case for most people...and this is why it is necessary for Hot Toy figures to retain their value(at least their retail price) for it to be justified as a worthy "investment" (investment as in, you don't want to look at cash, so you turn the cash into something you want to look at like Hot Toys without a financial lost).

you're still linking these toys to items that SHOULD raise in value when clearly HT themselves don't. hence releasing more of their figures and RE-releasing others (tumbler).

yeah we're all aware that once cars hit the pavement, they depreciate in value. but value is always in the eye of the beholder. i don't like hondas, but someone's honda is their baby, see what i mean?

cars are meant to be used, toys are meant to be played with. thats why they have articulation. you want something that just sits there, buy statues.

these toys should be viewed as collectors items for your own personal collection, no more no less. your justification for those that don't have disposable income...look, bottom line is, if your cash is better spent elsewhere like food and bills, you REALLY can't afford to buy $200 worth of plastic. just like how HTs recent business practice is not an option for those that are tight with money....that makes absolute zero sense. did i miss something here? speaking for myself personally, if i have to pay rent, bills, and buy food to like...live, i have to be out of my mind if i chose to buy iron man MK 8-11. but, that's just me.

when superman was released, i was bummed that i couldn't buy him right then and there due to financial difficulties. i thought to myself, i am never gonna be able to get him because by the time i have money to buy him, his price is gonna double.

much to my surprise, months later, and finally having disposable income, i bought 2 a week and a half ago. a little cheaper than what he was going for. HT's new business structure...THANK YOU. not having to pay out of my arse for something i want...priceless.

Used to be they'd all sell out months before they released, some even a few days after going up for order.

In my opinion they are doing some or all of the following:

• Releasing more figures per year than before which divides their customers into choosing between figures rather than ordering both
  • Increasing the quantities of their figures production
  • Overproducing from particular licenses (and underproducing from others)
  • Undermining their collectability with reissues and remakes
  • Losing customers through poor Quality Control, delays or lack of variety
  • increasing prices for even 'basic' level figures
These are all the reasons why I am on the verge of giving up my collecting. I just hope I don't lose too much money when I sell them. The only people to benefit from me selling my collection would be ebay with their scandalous 10% fee and the post office. :mad:

I think you see this with a lot of things. Product starts out. it's good quality and popular, but limited. More people become aware of said product and interest grows. People realize you can make a buck off said product and interest really grows. Limits and production runs increase. Eventually the speculators realize they're too late and can't make the money the early figures made and then leave the market. Market shrinks. That means less demand for the same items. Beanie babies might be a reasonable comparison.

I think you see this with a lot of things. Product starts out. it's good quality and popular, but limited. More people become aware of said product and interest grows. People realize you can make a buck off said product and interest really grows. Limits and production runs increase. Eventually the speculators realize they're too late and can't make the money the early figures made and then leave the market. Market shrinks. That means less demand for the same items. Beanie babies might be a reasonable comparison.

Baseball cards
Comic books in the 90s
American housing and loan market.

The thing is I don't give a rats booty how collectible a figure is. I just want the figures I think are well made and based off of things I love.
I'm happy that everyone who can afford these will have a chance to get them. Let's get rid of all of the "collectors" and scalpers who are only buying these to rip people off and soak up real fans money. These same people almost destroyed comics back in the nineties and the industry is still trying to recover.

The thing is I don't give a rats booty how collectible a figure is. I just want the figures I think are well made and based off of things I love.
I'm happy that everyone who can afford these will have a chance to get them. Let's get rid of all of the "collectors" and scalpers who are only buying these to rip people off and soak up real fans money. These same people almost destroyed comics back in the nineties and the industry is still trying to recover.

seinfeld.gif

These are all the reasons why I am on the verge of giving up my collecting. I just hope I don't lose too much money when I sell them. The only people to benefit from me selling my collection would be ebay with their scandalous 10% fee and the post office. :mad:

Why would you sell them? If I give up collecting these I plan on keeping what i have.

I get what I like for the sole reason that I like it. If the price being asked I am comfortable paying, then I do. I could careless if a particular figure or other "increases or decreases" in value.

If anyone thinks that a $300 figure is expensive, try collecting fine art, screen used movie props/costumes, vintage cars, or game used sports memorabilia. I can assure you that the $300 figure will look like a steal after that.

Hennypenny if you are unhappy.....it's simple.....don't buy. Hot Toys puts out a remarkable product, their prices while "high" reflect the cost of licenses and quality work. I have no complaints.

Totally don't get that attitude. Understand if say you've collected all you really want and then drop the hobby and move on to something else, but sort of throwing a fit, dropping it and then selling everything off seems odd to me. What was the appeal in the beginning if you don't want to keep what you have now? I read your "investment" thread, too, so I guess the answer's obvious, but this hobby's a strange choice if you initially thought you'd be sitting on an HT goldmine 20 years from now.

Yep.

American housing and loan market.

That was actually much worse than the average scalper pondscum. Not because of the scale, but because of the political influence. It's one thing when companies take risks that crash a market. It's a whole other story when they are forced by law to crash it, and then made to take the blame.

(Not that I am opposed to Uncanny Web Slinger, I often agree with his points but) As others have intimated one has to question what you were doing in this hobby in the first place if that's all you're worried about. Do you like movies or not? Do you want to own action figure representations of these things or not? Don't ****ing buy this stuff if you have no real care for it beyond what it may or may not earn you back in a few years time.

I've bought stuff and sold stuff that I previously thought i was interested in enough to keep. If I've sold stuff and made a loss on what I originally paid, well tough $h!t. No one's fault but my own, I'll move on. At least I'm getting some money back. **** it.

Last edited:
Back