Why does Gandalf say "Fly you fools"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know, i ponder the same thing everytime i see that scene. It looks as if he is mad or something.

I just assumed that he's saying fly like you might use the word run. "I've got to fly" isn't literal, for instance. He sees Frodo is making a move to come back to him and wants Frodo and the rest to get out.

He's saying, "Don't head back this way and try to help me, you idiots! As powerful as I am, I couldn't make it--and you think a little hobbit is going to do any better? Don't make my sacrifice count for nothing. Fly! Get the heck out of here!"

Or he's thinking, "I'm not gonna make it... I guess the best thing for them to do at this point is to call up Gwaihir the Eagle and have him fly Frodo directly to Mount Doom to destroy the ring. I had better tell them to do that before I drop to my death, or the idiots are going to walk the whole way there." But all he could get out was, "Fly, you fools!"

So pretty much he is saying that they should "run away" and "don't be a fool to go get him". :cool: That Gandalf is cool.

:lol At first, after Gandalf said "Fly you fools!" , the first thing that came to my mind was , Damn this hobbits got wings. I actually thought that they were all going to bust out their wings and fly away. :lol

I think he say that because there were many orcs, like saying "run away idiots or you will be killed by those orcs".

I think he say that because there were many orcs, like saying "run away idiots or you will be killed by those orcs".

Or by a giant Balrog that might regain use of it's wings at any moment. Oh wait do balrogs have wings or not? :monkey1 :rotfl

JohnnyFavourite said:
In german he says "flee you fools" and this makes sense.

"flee you fools" is not German so that makes NO sense at all!:monkey1

The "flee" part is so obvious ofcourse. I'm just wondering why he's calling them fools! They didn't diserve that! If I was Frodo over there, I would have stepped on his fingers and kicked Gandalf right in that big black hole!

tomandshell said:
English: "Fly, you fools!"

English to German: "Fliege, täuschen Sie!"

German translation back to Engrish: "You deceive fly!"

If you translate it 100 times you get Grievous is in da house:lol

You are all wrong, Gandalf said "Get McFly you fools".

Meaning that the Hobbits should go get Marty McFly, hop into the Delaurian, go back in time, and save Gandalf from falling to his death.

Back