Who lives in your backyard?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a view of our "backyard" from our living-room:

P1140388.jpg

We see squirrels and rabbits out in the lawn all the time, The tree line is like an aviary and we often have hummingbirds and orioles at the feeder. But we recently had a new visitor. My wife was watering the hanging plant the other day, and a bird flew out of it! :panic: It just about gave her a heart attack, but she thought it was a fluke thing and forgot about it. She went to water the plant the next day and it happened again! :panic:

Turns out a morning dove made a nest in our hanging plant!

Seems like an odd spot for a nest, and seems late in the year, but anyway here she is:

P1140330.jpg

P1140334.jpg

P1140335.jpg

It's funny, sometimes she flies away when you open the door and sometimes she just sits quiet. I went into the storage closet (which you can see above) to get the swiffer mop, and completely forgot the bird was out there. I walked within inches of her and she never moved. However, she flies away every time the plant gets watered. Thankfully she keeps coming back to keep her eggs warm. :)

P1140390.jpg

^^^ She flew away seconds after this one.

P1140386.jpg

^^^Hope these hatch soon! I feel like my porch is under siege! :lol

Thanks. :)

I'll keep the thread posted once they hatch.

In the meanwhile here are some shots of a squirrel that somehow found it's way up onto our balcony one winter:

P1060620.jpg

P1060628.jpg

:)

DSC00861.jpg

The unreasonable sense of entitlement that these hummingbirds are developing is very disappointing. They are so impatient for their food that they are coming up and all but landing on the feeders as I hang them.

Last edited:
I'm in the city so I don't really have a backyard...but I'm moving to brooklyn on the 15th and I have a patio and there is a dog that hangs out in the yard. pretty awesome!

Good lord, that hedgehog is cute. :)

Had dinner on our balcony last night. The mother morning dove never moved. It was a little disconcerting to eat poultry with her beady little eyes staring at me from a few feet away. :horror :lol

Good lord, that hedgehog is cute. :)

Had dinner on our balcony last night. The mother morning dove never moved. It was a little disconcerting to eat poultry with her beady little eyes staring at me from a few feet away. :horror :lol

Should have offered it a bit! :)

there's a family of rabbits living underneath the barn, some times I see a couple running around in the front yard in the morning when I go out to get the paper

That hedgehog is really cute.

I don't have any pics but we get Coyotes, bunnies, that my wife loves to feed and we had a chipmunk here a couple of weekends ago. We also have a herd of wild Mustangs that roam around the neighborhood. The chipmunk was pretty cool to watch.

I had a neighbor that looked like a backwoods Commissioner Gordon and would at random times ask my wife and I if we enjoyed Blue Jeans...he didn't live in the back yard really but frequented it often enough.

Mags, mourning doves are really stupid. They'll throw together a nest almost anywhere. When I turn into my driveway, the dummies will sit and I have to beep my horn to get them to move. Then they'll just stroll to the side to let me through. I've seen many of these get taken out by hawks simply because they just sit there and get picked off. They're too busy watching the hawk swoop down on them to move. I think they're high most of the time. :lol

Mags, mourning doves are really stupid. They'll throw together a nest almost anywhere. When I turn into my driveway, the dummies will sit and I have to beep my horn to get them to move. Then they'll just stroll to the side to let me through. I've seen many of these get taken out by hawks simply because they just sit there and get picked off. They're too busy watching the hawk swoop down on them to move. I think they're high most of the time. :lol

Yeah, the other day my wife went to water the plant, like she does every day, and the dumb bird almost flew into our apartment. :slap

When I went outside today, there was a pigeon in my yard. We don't have a lot of those around here and I haven't seen one in years. We have a lot of mourning doves, but not pigeons. Anyway, my dog spooked him up to the top of my garage and he sat there for quite awhile. I went back in and after while looked out and he was sitting on a wire near my house. It got dark and later I looked out and there he still sat, in the dark, on that wire. He sat there all through a small storm we had too. He's still sitting there. I would think he would move to the trees to roost and to have protection. If an owl comes through and see him, he's a goner. I know nothing about these birds, so are they just dumb or what? :lol

He's a pretty bird, looks like this one:

Pigeontrim1.jpg

Back