Who do you want to see next?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who would you like to see next?

• Total voters
Hasbro probably forced Hama to retro-fit Firefly as a "ninja" to further cash in on the craze at the time. Either way, it's lame and contrived.

Yet, all the same, I can't think of a better way to train in espionage and stealth, both of which are highly needed for his specialty.

But this becomes the same argument as Snake Eyes. Being a ninja and having ninja training are two different things. I still love him though. Great figure/character and will make a killer 1/6.

But this becomes the same argument as Snake Eyes. Being a ninja and having ninja training are two different things. I still love him though. Great figure/character and will make a killer 1/6.

True, and I agree with this. Yet ironically, both have the Arishikagi tattoos which makes them distinct members of the ninja clan. So for the sake of not having a huge debate, I'd say both are right.

I see we have degraded ourselves to Name calling. :mwaha

There's a reason why Duke was not the first figure to be release in the Series and there's a reason why all the figures that were released after Snake-Eye have been all Cobra. Because Cobra's Uniform and Gear has always been more interesting. Joes' Gear and uniform are way too traditional and it's something that we've all seen before. Snake-Eyes is the one that stands out the most for Joes and it is the reason why casual fans remember him the most.

If you read my previous post you would know that I do want an awesome Duke figure. But if you kept him exactly like he was in the Cartoon then it's a total waste of $100 because you could probably kitbash a better figure with the same look for around $50 or under. Case and point, (I'm going to use an announced figure as an example) on the Onesixthwarrior forums some dude was kitbash a couple of Cobra Troopers that look just as good as the Sideshow one. The Price $35 USD each.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92443

Damn Straight Hail Cobra!

Exactly. Duke as a figure is a fairly generic looking soldier figure. Where as Snake Eyes, Beachhead, Firefly, etc are all more visually interesting as figures. I'm not saying Duke is a boring character, but just that is outfit isn't as fantastical as some of the other characters. He is more grounded in reality. I suppose most of the Joes are, except perhaps Snake Eyes. I suppose this is why Cobra figures sell better than Joes. As figures, they are more visually intersting. And on a toy shelf, visually interesting sells. Or else Mattlel wouldn't make rainbow Barbies or Batmans. And it would seem childhood favorite figures still remain favorite characters. Why is Zartan so popular, he was a cool figure that changed colors. And he is still popular today. :dunno

SE only stands out cause he is black. GIJoes should have military looking outfits. Everyone keeps saying he is boring, but Duke is the second most popular Joe behind SE. I wouldn't say Cobra sells better than Joe, people army build with generic Cobra soldiers. Big difference.

I take is most were not around for the 82 and 83 and most of the 84 figures. They are all simple designs and rock.

My favorite Joe/Cobras are SE, SS, Firefly, and Beach Head but the line absolutely requires the traditional military-types to keep it grounded in good old-fashioned war stories and patriotic heroism. You lose the Dukes, Stalkers, Flints, and Hawks and you've just got a glorified superhero comic with big guns like this junk:

338972-134441-wildc-a-t-s_super.JPG

But that isn't GI Joe. THIS is GI Joe:

gijoe47-f2.jpg

My favorite Joe/Cobras are SE, SS, Firefly, and Beach Head but the line absolutely requires the traditional military-types to keep it grounded in good old-fashioned war stories and patriotic heroism. You lose the Dukes, Stalkers, Flints, and Hawks and you've just got a glorified superhero comic with big guns like this junk:

338972-134441-wildc-a-t-s_super.JPG

But that isn't GI Joe. THIS is GI Joe:

gijoe47-f2.jpg

Sounds kind of like the new movie to me.Accelerator suits= super heros with big guns and that ain't G.I. Joe.

Hey guys, I agree that it is silly. But I didn't write the Marvel RAH comics (which I believe are considered canon) and in the comics he is a trained ninja as well.

True, but at that point I think Hama should have moved on to something else.

He is a saboteur. Not some silly faceless ninja that turns his head really fast when pictures are taken.

Hasbro probably forced Hama to retro-fit Firefly as a "ninja" to further cash in on the craze at the time. Either way, it's lame and contrived.

all that came into play during the goofy "ninja force" time period.

but unfortunately, he's Arasakage now. So he is what he is. He traind in stealth and espianage from the best in the buisness.

Sounds kind of like the new movie to me.Accelerator suits= super heros with big guns and that ain't G.I. Joe.

quoted for freaking truth.

I loved Crystal Ball.. I'll collect any character up to '89. Past that... nothing... maybe some of the ninjas.. just for ninjas sake.

My favorite Joe/Cobras are SE, SS, Firefly, and Beach Head but the line absolutely requires the traditional military-types to keep it grounded in good old-fashioned war stories and patriotic heroism.

Those were my favorite characters too.

gijoe47-f2.jpg

Great storyline where the Joes invaded Cobra Island to rescue Ripcord. Man, those Mike Zeck covers were awesome as well.

Back