Whiplash Mark II/Relationship Advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think she may have overreacted a little. It is your life as you said and your finances. She has to respect your independacne and it does seem early to be talking about that kind of stuff, you guys should be focusing on the fun and not worrying about the big stuff just yet

I get that she may be a little freaked because of her parents situation, that understandable, but again she may have overreacted with this, maybe you can afford the figure comfortably without cutting back on other things, or maybe they are a good investment because of resale value. I find that whenever someone inquires about the price of a figure to me, telling them the current market price makes them jealous they don't have one lol.

All in all I think she didnt react to well, however if you really like her(and think hard) I think you should contact her and maybe have a mature discussion about what happened, convey you're feelings clearly and make sure to consider her side as well

Just my honest advice my friend :duff
and just to let you know I'm only 19 sooooo :lol maybe don't listen :rotfl

19?! Man you're very mature for your age :clap

And thanks for the advice, yeah I'm definitely going to do that if it gets brought up again.

My friend got into a relationship once. He was an avid comic book collector. His girlfriend used to bully him, telling him that comics were for kids and he needed to grow up. Eventually he sold his ENTIRE collection... for chicken feed. The worst part is, his girlfriend ended up leaving him shortly after that.

You shouldn't change who you are for anyone. If you love collecting Hot Toys... your significant other should respect that.
Fair enough if you've been living together for a while or married or whatever, your partner has the right to say 'we can't afford that at the moment'. But early stages in a relationship... forget about it. It's your money, man. If you want to buy Whiplash, she needs to respect that.

That is sad. And thank you for the advice.

Just tell her they're $20.

wnp4zAC.gif

+1000

I don't think you need to break it off right away. I think another discussion is needed but if it becomes obvious she just isn't OK with it, then you really need to make a choice. Aaaand, if you think it'll stop at figures....

I'm definitely not breaking up over this. I realize every relationship will have some speed bumps, but the important thing is how couples work through them. I'm going to try and use this to make us grow stronger together.

Thanks for the advice Natalie :hi5:

I think it is very understandable that she is nervous about finances especially if it broke up her parents.
-I don't think either one of you is over reacting, you like collecting and she wants to financially secure. Seems reasonable to me on both ends.
-I think one month is a bit early to be worrying about this personally but then again i don't know your guys' relationship
-It may be something where you two sit and work it out. I mean like make spread sheets and stuff, the whole 9 yards. Figure out how much she's comfortable with you spending etc.

Thanks for the advice Dark Angel :hi5:

I'm definitely not breaking up over this. I realize every relationship will have some speed bumps, but the important thing is how couples work through them. I'm going to try and use this to make us grow stronger together.

Thanks for the advice Natalie :hi5:

You're welcome!

My wife not only supports and shows interest in my hobby, she often buys me figures herself (she actually recently went through hell and high water to get my HT ASM2 box signed by Stan the man Lee himself). This is really my only hobby so she doesn't ever mind me buying a figure or two every so often. There are plenty of women that would be cool with their significant other being in this hobby. My wife is proof that there are plenty of understanding and approving women, not to mention the female collectors out there. You are very early in the relationship for her to be so worried about your financial situation unless you were not paying bills and your phone was getting shut off ( I am certain that is not the case). I guess what I am saying is everyone has a vice and yours isn't hurting anybody so it shouldn't be an issue. If she cares about you and trusts your judgment she'll let it go... If not maybe let her go otherwise next time it might be something else you enjoy that poses a problem ie. the car you drive or the clothes you like might be "too expensive".

My wife not only supports and shows interest in my hobby, she often buys me figures herself (she actually recently went through hell and high water to get my HT ASM2 box signed by Stan the man Lee himself). This is really my only hobby so she doesn't ever mind me buying a figure or two every so often. There are plenty of women that would be cool with their significant other being in this hobby. My wife is proof that there are plenty of understanding and approving women, not to mention the female collectors out there. You are very early in the relationship for her to be so worried about your financial situation unless you were not paying bills and your phone was getting shut off ( I am certain that is not the case). I guess what I am saying is everyone has a vice and yours isn't hurting anybody so it shouldn't be an issue. If she cares about you and trusts your judgment she'll let it go... If not maybe let her go otherwise next time it might be something else you enjoy that poses a problem ie. the car you drive or the clothes you like might be "too expensive".

That is really cool man :hi5: I like that :duff

When my wife found out how much is the price for the "iron man puppet" , she also freak out , but then after few figures coming she start enjoying as well ( thanks God !! ) along the way i tried to explained to her that this puppet is for me an art , back then in ancient time people collect statue from stone as art collection, now is instagram facebook twitty age .. this "doll" is art for me technology meet design mix with art (paint apply on them electronic they put inside it ) , they are "cheap" art compare the one in museum. finally my wife understood this and as long as i am not burden anyone with my hobby no one complain , hope you can get girl friends who understand or share the same interest of point of view with you Jeff .. wish you great relation with her in the future or with some one who understand our "freak" ... :hi5:

Wow she sounds amazing!!! :hi5:

If someone gave me a $500 wallet, I'd sell it and then buy a Hot Toy :lol

I wish I could. I guess I should check ebay. I also have several watches I don't wear. Not Rolexes, but still $1K-$2K watches. I don't even wear watches because I kill them, which is why I haven't gotten an iWatch yet.

Sounds like it's time to roll her onto the curb, and then into the gutter, where hopefully she'll be mutated into a Ninja Turtle who will better empathize with your situation. Or worst case scenario, a C.H.U.D.

Back