Whiplash Mark II/Relationship Advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my two cents:

If collecting is what you love and she has a problem with it, then you have to weigh which you like more. Personally, based on how long you've been together, that has red flags written all over it - and I'd say this may not be the ideal relationship - if you're looking to settle down. If collecting is just a 'phase' for you, then maybe think about compromising and giving up some of your collection and spending habits on that kind of thing.

IF it were me though....not gonna fly. :lol With me, when she asks, I'm always honest about the cost. Thankfully, she's never really had a problem with it, but that's because she knows I'm responsible with what I spend, etc. Don't play the 'fudge the numbers' game though. Nobody ever wins that game. :lol

I don't think you need to break it off right away. I think another discussion is needed but if it becomes obvious she just isn't OK with it, then you really need to make a choice. Aaaand, if you think it'll stop at figures....

She sounds like a nice girl that he really likes. She's probably just a little traumatized about her parents. I wouldn't just break up with her without having another honest discussion about everything.

My friend got into a relationship once. He was an avid comic book collector. His girlfriend used to bully him, telling him that comics were for kids and he needed to grow up. Eventually he sold his ENTIRE collection... for chicken feed. The worst part is, his girlfriend ended up leaving him shortly after that.

You shouldn't change who you are for anyone. If you love collecting Hot Toys... your significant other should respect that.
Fair enough if you've been living together for a while or married or whatever, your partner has the right to say 'we can't afford that at the moment'. But early stages in a relationship... forget about it. It's your money, man. If you want to buy Whiplash, she needs to respect that.

My friend got into a relationship once. He was an avid comic book collector. His girlfriend used to bully him, telling him that comics were for kids and he needed to grow up. Eventually he sold his ENTIRE collection... for chicken feed. The worst part is, his girlfriend ended up leaving him shortly after that.

You shouldn't change who you are for anyone. If you love collecting Hot Toys... your significant other should respect that.
Fair enough if you've been living together for a while or married or whatever, your partner has the right to say 'we can't afford that at the moment'. But early stages in a relationship... forget about it. It's your money, man. If you want to buy Whiplash, she needs to respect that.

:slap

Not of fan of people like her....

All excellent points :clap
The last one is funny
"Sorry hun I'm buying Hulkbuster, you can't stop me mwahahaha" :lol

Yeah definitely sounds like she overreacted in my opinion. Like others have said if she's all up in your business about how you handle finances at this point I can imagine how she'll be later. I think it'd be a different story if your collecting was causing you to neglect other bills or whatever, but if you're in a place where you can budget for figures and it's what you like that's your business. She's acting like your super serious and wants to control your every move. I'd watch it if I were you.

Us ladies know what's up!

Yeah we do!

Bo-Lauren-bo-and-lauren-18696445-500-183.gif

Ah the pitfalls of dating. My guess is, with her history and parents issues this would have been something that came up or comes up in every relationship for her. No matter the catalist..hot toys, art, electronics, drinking...anything that costs money was going (or is) to evoke this in her.

It's pretty early in your relationship for these types of discussions..but it's not unheard of or way crazy. I'd talk to her and explain how you feel and let her know that despite what the collections costs it doesn't effect your ability to be financially stable. And that her reaction to your hobby was a bit insulting. If you can't get past it you can't. But chances are it just touched on some deep seeded fear she has.

It is early in the relationship...but I once meet a girl at a club and she came home with me and never left. For years. We got married even. Lol outside of deployment and work stuff after that first night we where never apart, for like four straight years. Lol so thugs happen.

I wonder how many of you guys will disappear from Sideshow Freaks when Hulkbuster is released because your significant other is going to kill you when the giant $900 box arrives.

Back