Whiplash Mark II/Relationship Advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many of you guys will disappear from Sideshow Freaks when Hulkbuster is released because your significant other is going to kill you when the giant $900 box arrives.

I already have my hiding spot so I'm ready. I just gotta get a LV bag for my girl and then reveal Hulkbuster at some point in time, LOL.

My SO has no issues with me collecting hot toys, SS, etc. It's just another way that I choose to spend and delve into this hobby. For your case, you just have to convince her that you have your financials under control and that you will not be jeopardizing your financials (buying something way over your financial capability). In fact, any hobby is the same. It all depends on how crazy you are into it. At the end of the day, it's all about check and balance and prioritizing your responsibilities.

This is a tough one, but I would cut her some slack. What if the situation were reversed and you found out that she buys 3 or 4 hundred dollar designer purses on a regular basis? It might concern you a bit and probably should. Finances have ruined many a relationship. People want different things in life. The key is to find someone that appreciates the things that you love and understands that a certain amount of money can and should be budgeted for these things. This goes both ways of course. Each person deserves to have an agreed upon "allowance" that they are free to spend on whatever they want. The first step however should be to sit down and discuss what each of you want in terms of the big stuff like houses, cars, etc. If you jump into a huge mortgage and car payment right off the bat, there won't be anything left for "allowances". This is where the resentment creeps in. Have an honest conversation about expectations and consider starting out with a modest home and car.

I wonder how many of you guys will disappear from Sideshow Freaks when Hulkbuster is released because your significant other is going to kill you when the giant $900 box arrives.

zV1X4kY.gif

Looking for some relationship advice that maybe some collectors who are experiencing or have already gone through what I currently am going through.

I don’t even know where to begin so I’ll just give you the basics. I have been seeing my girlfriend for about 3 months now (officially one month). She’s 22 beautiful and has a really cool personality, can pretty much talk to her about anything.

Anyways, she comes over to my place yesterday (first time) to watch the US vs Japan World Cup Championship. Things are going great and we were had a really good time. After the match she asks for a “tour” which implies seeing my bedroom. So I’m thinking everything is going great and as soon as she walks in my bedroom she sees my Iron Whiplash Mark II and walks directly to it asking allll kinds of questions. What is it, Where did I get this, Who made it, (she knew it was from Iron Man) she was verrrry interested.

And then, she asks how much it was.

This is hobby is something I rarely talk about with friends and family because few people understand it. Everyone thinks they are amazing, high quality detailed figures…..but when I let them know the price-they can’t believe it.

So I kind of begin to panic, not really wanting to reveal the cost of each figure.

I ask her how much she thinks it was.

She literally has no idea, and guesses $50!

Soon after, I told her the retail price.

She didn’t believe me. And starts to laugh. So she asks again.

And I say the same price.

She became very quiet and went back into the living room and sits down. I could tell she was shocked.

At this point, I began to worry, but tried my best to act like everything is fine. So I asked her if she feels like going to IHOP.

She says no-and that we needed to talk. I tried my best to act like I didn’t know about what. But I knew….I knew.

This is when she let me know that if we are going to be together and if we had any future together we would need to watch our finances and that her parents fought a lot about money causing them to end their marriage. And asked if I was going to buy anymore of these figures. (This morning I just ordered early processed my Mark VII Stealth and have a Mark III coming with one flexpay left-not to mention my Mark 1 currently boxed up LOL)

So I said, look I think you’re overreacting and I am not financially irresponsible and have my finances in order. Also, maybe she is thinking too far ahead and too much into this situation. And tell her lets go get some dinner and that would make everything better.

She finally agreed, but I could tell it was still on her mind the rest of the night.

I haven’t heard from her since last night. And she always texts/facebooks me something in the morning or by the afternoon. I’m thinking she is either upset or scared about the whole situation. And can’t stop thinking about her now and feel kind of bad for charging my Stealth Version now.

Anyways I’m not texting/calling her until she contacts me. I don’t appreciate the way she handled the situation. We barely know each other and I feel like she waaaayyyy overreacted. If we were married or engaged I could see her having this talk with me. But I’m in charge of my own finances. To be honest, I really don’t think it’s none of her business and this could be an inidicator of things to come.

But then I started thinking, I really like this girl! I could see myself ending up with her and I know loving someone takes sacrifice. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about her all day.

I still haven’t figure out what to do. I'm going to give a couple of days.

So my question to you collectors out there is
-How would you handle this?
- Am I the one over reacting?
- Have you been in a similar situation?
- How do you and your significant other handle expenses when it comes to collectibles?
-What's your take?

redflag.gif

That said, as long as you exercise discipline, stay within your budget, put money in the bank, have some liquidity you will be fine as a single guy. If/when you get married, expect things to change. When you have kids expect things to change again. Still 3 months in is very early.

This!

Also, don't tell her that you asked for advice about this situation on here. That would be bad.

Looking for some relationship advice that maybe some collectors who are experiencing or have already gone through what I currently am going through.

I don’t even know where to begin so I’ll just give you the basics. I have been seeing my girlfriend for about 3 months now (officially one month). She’s 22 beautiful and has a really cool personality, can pretty much talk to her about anything.

Anyways, she comes over to my place yesterday (first time) to watch the US vs Japan World Cup Championship. Things are going great and we were had a really good time. After the match she asks for a “tour” which implies seeing my bedroom. So I’m thinking everything is going great and as soon as she walks in my bedroom she sees my Iron Whiplash Mark II and walks directly to it asking allll kinds of questions. What is it, Where did I get this, Who made it, (she knew it was from Iron Man) she was verrrry interested.

And then, she asks how much it was.

This is hobby is something I rarely talk about with friends and family because few people understand it. Everyone thinks they are amazing, high quality detailed figures…..but when I let them know the price-they can’t believe it.

So I kind of begin to panic, not really wanting to reveal the cost of each figure.

I ask her how much she thinks it was.

She literally has no idea, and guesses $50!

Soon after, I told her the retail price.

She didn’t believe me. And starts to laugh. So she asks again.

And I say the same price.

She became very quiet and went back into the living room and sits down. I could tell she was shocked.

At this point, I began to worry, but tried my best to act like everything is fine. So I asked her if she feels like going to IHOP.

She says no-and that we needed to talk. I tried my best to act like I didn’t know about what. But I knew….I knew.

This is when she let me know that if we are going to be together and if we had any future together we would need to watch our finances and that her parents fought a lot about money causing them to end their marriage. And asked if I was going to buy anymore of these figures. (This morning I just ordered early processed my Mark VII Stealth and have a Mark III coming with one flexpay left-not to mention my Mark 1 currently boxed up LOL)

So I said, look I think you’re overreacting and I am not financially irresponsible and have my finances in order. Also, maybe she is thinking too far ahead and too much into this situation. And tell her lets go get some dinner and that would make everything better.

She finally agreed, but I could tell it was still on her mind the rest of the night.

I haven’t heard from her since last night. And she always texts/facebooks me something in the morning or by the afternoon. I’m thinking she is either upset or scared about the whole situation. And can’t stop thinking about her now and feel kind of bad for charging my Stealth Version now.

Anyways I’m not texting/calling her until she contacts me. I don’t appreciate the way she handled the situation. We barely know each other and I feel like she waaaayyyy overreacted. If we were married or engaged I could see her having this talk with me. But I’m in charge of my own finances. To be honest, I really don’t think it’s none of her business and this could be an inidicator of things to come.

But then I started thinking, I really like this girl! I could see myself ending up with her and I know loving someone takes sacrifice. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about her all day.

I still haven’t figure out what to do. I'm going to give a couple of days.

So my question to you collectors out there is
-How would you handle this?
- Am I the one over reacting?
- Have you been in a similar situation?
- How do you and your significant other handle expenses when it comes to collectibles?
-What's your take?
Well, what she is really saying is "you know you I will make you get rid them so you can spend your money on me" then she will leave you and you will have nothing to show... No girlfriend... No Ironman.... No happiness.... Run while you can dude.... She ain't worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Who cares what she thinks! If she has any problems with how you spend your money, she ain't worth it. Throw her in the gutter and go find another. It's a good thing she showed her true colors early. A girl that rolls with you no matter what, is the one to keep. I use to cater to girls all the time until I realized that I was only living to fit in with their life. I got wise and shook em. Who needs the extra grief? A cool girl won't give you any, plain and simple.
Hell, my girl bought me a Mark II iron man because she felt bad that I couldn't find one at a toy show we went to. My girl vs the girl you're dealing with.....my girl wins.

Just finished my Masters in Psychology with emphasis on Marriage and Family counseling a few months ago, so I'm excited about your questions Jeff.
Honestly, I'm not going to say anything too different from what's already been said, But I will say this; Make sure that you really like her for more than just her physical attributes, because that can really sway our thinking. Right guys? If you do genuinely care about her, explain your financial situation to her ONE time, acknowledge her feelings about the past and move forward. There are underlying issues she needs to deal with and fix before you proceed further into your relationship. If she really wants to be with you, she will, don't try and force it. You've been collecting longer than you have been with her. :) Good luck!

:slap You can't just tell them the full retail like that. You gotta be vague :lecture tell them: I got a great deal/I never pay retail/I have a supplier/It was a trade/I had a coupon/I sold some stuff to cover it, so it was basically free/I paid a year in advance so I can't remember a specific number/This is a custom I made from spare parts/I won a contest/Thats an old one I never opened before/Well because of the fluctuating Euro -and Greece, you know, who knows/I actually forgot I ordered this, it just showed up one day/Hey remember that cat we have? Where is it, I think it got out!/We should get a cat/Who could put a price on emotional stability

I hate to even try and give relationship advice, but since you asked I will add my two cents. First of all, congratulations that she obviously likes you enough to think about having a future for you. Secondly, I think her level of concern also depends on her current financial situation. She may be so blown away by how much you spent because she has never been able to spend that kind of money on things. If this is the case you can see why from her perspective your spending may be out of hand. It seems like a lot of people on here have given you good advice when they suggest that you explain to her or show her that you are financially responsible. She may not be as good at saving as you are and therefore does not understand exactly how you budget and plan for spending money on your hobby. Is it early for her to bring this up? Maybe. It all depends on the girl and the state of the relationship. Is it a relationship ender? Absolutely not. After ten years of marriage the one thing that I can suggest with certainty is not to wait on her to contact you or bring it up. Just give her a call and talk about it. After the talk then you will have a better understanding of whether this is going to be a problem or not.

all jokes aside, 1 official month of dating is way too soon for her to act like that. You two are supposed to be in the honeymoon stage basically.

I'll tell you this, I have two friends and both their wives support their toy hobbies. One friend's wife let him convert their small basement into a display room and the other friend's wife is a collector herself (well, he collects Marvel, she collects Star Wars). Find someone like that and be happy when you're walking down the aisle a few years from now with Hulkbuster as the ringbearer.

Back