While we're all waiting for Sideshow...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barad-dur, Grond or one of the prototypes (Zirak-Zigil, Hobbiton Mill, Moria Cementry) are the possible eviros I guess.

I would buy any of those except the hobbiton mill or Moira cemetery. Barad-Dur is one of the top places I want but I want Minas Tirith the most. One nice thing is I have $159 of weta dollars to use on whatever it is if I buy it.

Hopefully that means something for LOTR fans. :)

https://www.facebook.com/sideshowcollectibles/posts/10150856126919145

I'm a fan, but i don't buy collectibles from the franchise.

Gotta say the comments moaning about Hulk are well selfish, we Marvel fans just got the awesome Rhino statue and a bunch of non-stop Avenger Hot Toys, and LOTR fans have got...? Recently.

Well, decided to get the Red Book now and then I'll pick up the rest a little later down the road at comic-con.

As far as that FB news thats great!! :rock

Hopefully that means something for LOTR fans. :)

https://www.facebook.com/sideshowcollectibles/posts/10150856126919145

I'm a fan, but i don't buy collectibles from the franchise.

Gotta say the comments moaning about Hulk are well selfish, we Marvel fans just got the awesome Rhino statue and a bunch of non-stop Avenger Hot Toys, and LOTR fans have got...? Recently.

I'm really surprised and delighted on that result. :yess: :clap

Thanks to everyone who voted LOTR. :hi5:

Can't wait to see the preview. :panic:

:duff
Bill

Note self, "unexpected" in Kiwi means not collectible. Most look nice but 15 beans for a fridge magnet is insane IMO.

I also have to say that Weta's LOTR offerings seem to be heading toward the trinket category with the shields, helms, magnets, smaller posed dio pieces... This to me suggests the main Hobbit licenses will be held elsewhere and perhaps Weta even prefers it this way.

On the other hand SS is gearing up with LSF Sauron and Wraith PF, also pushing the dynamic poses in the maquette line.

Note self, "unexpected" in Kiwi means not collectible. Most look nice but 15 beans for a fridge magnet is insane IMO.

I also have to say that Weta's LOTR offerings seem to be heading toward the trinket category with the shields, helms, magnets, smaller posed dio pieces... This to me suggests the main Hobbit licenses will be held elsewhere and perhaps Weta even prefers it this way.

On the other hand SS is gearing up with LSF Sauron and Wraith PF, also pushing the dynamic poses in the maquette line.

I think WETA are being smart and covering all their bases. Think of all the people who visit NZ and want a trinket from their visit to the WETA shops. Be a bit mad to lug an environment on the plane with you...where as a small magnet, keychain, shirt makes more sense.

I applaud them for offering a range of items and prices. :clap

EDIT: And WETA has the Hobbit license...they've confirmed it.

They only said they'd release something 'unexpected' which led to people thinking it was Hobbit (An Unexpected Journey) related. Weta never mentioned the words Hobbit and license in one sentence, unfortunately.

Those magnets certainly were unexpected though! :lol

Well they may have a Hobbit license but that doesn't mean they have THE Hobbit license. But the collectibles industry is so fragmented now that that doesn't mean anything. And even here some collect PF, some maquette so... When I think who will get the license I am mostly talking about the 1/6 scale and above collectibles which honestly I cant even keep track of the different categories anymore.

And I agree that variety is fun. I think the weak US dollar is hurting us though, and really that can only mean hurting them as well in the form of fewer sales. For the magnets, I'd buy a few on a whim but not at that price point. I figure about 5 dollars of the price is exchange related.

I really hope Sideshow gets the 1/6 and 1/4 licences.

Unless there's some serious high level behind the scenes dealing going on I really can't see them not. I mean SS has ramped up the material they are putting out. Weta has focused on narrower niche collectibles which quite honestly is edging further away from the tastes of the modern collector IMO. I like it all. Hell I bought a bronze Smaug. But that's not the general taste it seems. So if you are sitting in a marketing meeting and compare the two companies I think if all else is neutral SS gets those licenses. Quality to me is a push with these companies as well.

I don't think Weta is staying away from the tastes ofthe modern collector. They've done a lot of niche items which are great but they've done plenty of statues/busts/environments. So I'm 110% sure weta will at worst be doing say busts and environments for The Hobbit.

Unless there's some serious high level behind the scenes dealing going on I really can't see them not. I mean SS has ramped up the material they are putting out. Weta has focused on narrower niche collectibles which quite honestly is edging further away from the tastes of the modern collector IMO. I like it all. Hell I bought a bronze Smaug. But that's not the general taste it seems. So if you are sitting in a marketing meeting and compare the two companies I think if all else is neutral SS gets those licenses. Quality to me is a push with these companies as well.

I completely disagree, the demand for what Weta is doing is there for all to see.... everything sells out quickly. I just saw someone mention that even the magnets are quickly selling out. Even the mini characters, while open editions, are selling out in batches so people are having to place back-orders and wait for the next shipments.

And i think Weta have the best chance of getting the 1/6 statue license. They could even have done quite a few already while they worked on the film just like they did for LOTR. Everyone knows how well they did last time when they sculpted the SSW range and i'd say that would sway it for licencers and the studio. Let Sideshow do the PF's and hell, one day maybe even some maquettes or dioramas.

Sorry but I enjoy my weta items more than my sideshow items. The environment line is what got me started..and I'll take those environments and the helms over my 1/6 faramir and gandalf any day. Yes I love my SS premium formats but to dismiss weta as garbage, considering they are the effects company for the series is ludicrous.

Back