When ants attack!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boric acid....:gun..................:bunnydanc..................:archer

Insecticidal

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects.[6] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeleton.

Boric acid is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants. Homemade ant bait can be made by dissolving 1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered boric acid and 10 teaspoons (50 mL) sugar into 2 cups (500 mL) of water; this mixture can then be absorbed into cotton balls which are left near ant trails. This reportedly will be carried back into the ants' nest, killing any ants that eat it, potentially decimating the entire colony.

Boric acid is also made into a paste or gel form. The paste or gel has attractants in it to attract insects; mostly cockroaches. It is convenient to use because you can simply put a small dab under sinks, counters, refrigerators, and stoves. The boric acid dehydrates the insects. It does it slowly and they don't realize they are in danger. One of the real benefits of using boric acid is that immunity can't be built up; since it works through dehydration. The insects take the bait back to the nest and one application can eliminate them for an entire year.

When all else fails, do what we do in Australia. Coax a beautiful woman to be the bait, then at the right moment set your anteater free.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/RjRq6zyLZ6g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/RjRq6zyLZ6g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's happened to me a couple times too, I've gotten ants before in my kitchen. And yes they can be an absolute pain in the ass to get rid of. :banghead

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
I just did a full house check, and there doesn't seem to be as many as there were last night. But there are still heaps of dead ants in some places.
Later today, I'll go out and buy all the stuff you guys have recommended, and blow those suckers back to depths of which they came.

Once again, thanks for all of your help.

be careful if you have pets though....

Ants can carry away an entire hotdog. Don't believe me....

Warning: Disgusting and hilarious at the same time.
https://www.stinkymeat.net/

Last time I posted pics, my post got deleted.

Edit: just a taste of what ants can do to left over meat

hotdoghi.jpg

I hate ants...they freak me out. Both of my boss' homes have ant problems during certain times of the year.....It seems when the weather gets cold (below 32) up here the ants all decide to move into the house to look for food. It's freaky as hell when you see hundreds of them all in one spot. She's gone the extermination route...keeps a tidy house.....they still come back. Her mom's house is even worse. You drop one speck of food on the floor and within minutes it will be covered with ants. They just come out of everywhere....probably live under the floorboards or in the walls....who knows. Good luck.

It's funny. Out here, it's when it gets REALLY hot, the ants come in. Pesky little buggers. My cat used to eat them, but I guess not anymore.

And you want some freaky ants, just watch the MacGyver Episodes about Army Ants.........**shiver**

My husband used to work in pest control waay back when and he would always do this when ants would visit: First clean all the areas with windex it has whatever in it that gets rid of there scent that they leave behind for other ants to trace and follow. So where ever you see ants-that has a surface that can be sprayed with windex, do it. Then go to the store and get a bottle (it will be a small bottle) but it will last you forever, of Terro. It is just for ants and works great. You put a small drop on a piece of cardboard and set in the area that the ants are coming from. with in 2-3 days ants are all dead, they have taken terro to the queen and killed the nest. Try homedepot or even walmart for the terro, Good luck, happy hunting :D

When I was in college (in florida), I took my dog outside to go to the bathroom at night when it was dark outside, and ended up unknowingly standing on a fire-ant hill. the army was up to my knee before the first one decided to bite. Thos efrickin ants are smart like that. I had about 30 or 40 bites before I could get to the hose. My leg was on fire, little white blisters all over my leg. I thought maybe I would have to go to hospital, but I numbed the pain with bud and booze instead... not like I could afford an ER visit back then.

My husband used to work in pest control waay back when and he would always do this when ants would visit: First clean all the areas with windex it has whatever in it that gets rid of there scent that they leave behind for other ants to trace and follow. So where ever you see ants-that has a surface that can be sprayed with windex, do it. Then go to the store and get a bottle (it will be a small bottle) but it will last you forever, of Terro. It is just for ants and works great. You put a small drop on a piece of cardboard and set in the area that the ants are coming from. with in 2-3 days ants are all dead, they have taken terro to the queen and killed the nest. Try homedepot or even walmart for the terro, Good luck, happy hunting :D

Ok, cool. Thanks. :D
There are no walmarts here in Australia, but I'm sure there are plenty of other places that will sell this stuff.

When I was in college (in florida), I took my dog outside to go to the bathroom at night when it was dark outside, and ended up unknowingly standing on a fire-ant hill. the army was up to my knee before the first one decided to bite. Thos efrickin ants are smart like that. I had about 30 or 40 bites before I could get to the hose. My leg was on fire, little white blisters all over my leg. I thought maybe I would have to go to hospital, but I numbed the pain with bud and booze instead... not like I could afford an ER visit back then.

:horror Damn.
Luckily these are just little ants. I probably would've been eaten alive already if they were bigger ones.
It's just wierd though. Don't know how I didn't notice them before. :huh

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Sorry bro, just struck me as quite funny! :D

most hardware store would mostlikely sell it. The ants you described sound like house ants- little black ants, looking for a water source. come into homes and become a real pain. It happens to all of us. I have a bottle of Terro in my cuboard right now for when they strike. You probably didn't notice cause you didn't have them. They can infest a house over night. It takes a tiny crack in the wall or window seal and their in. I've woken up one morning to have my kitchen counter crawing with ants. And I'm a neat freak. So its not your fault. Do the Terro and They'll eventually go away. :) Have fun battling them :lol

Last edited:
most hardware store would mostlikely sell it. The ants you described sound like house ants- little black ants, looking for a water source. come into homes and become a real pain. It happens to all of us. I have a bottle of Terro in my cuboard right now for when they strike. They eventually go away. :) Have fun battling them :lol

Yeah, the little ones. They may only be small, but they are annoying as hell. Crawling on the walls, all over the floor... ugh.

I'll have fun battling them alright... but they won't. :mwaha

Fire ants aren't big by any means. maybe 1/8-inch long. And if I recall, I'm not even sure they are any more reddish in color. but when they bite, you're nervous system finally registers it about 5-15 seconds later, after another dozen have bitten. They leave a little whitehead blister that is best just left alone, no matter how hard it burns at first and then itches like crazy. Multiply that by a few dozen bites.

There have tragic been stories on the news where a parent will leave their toddler to play in the back yard and come out to see the kid has been literally attacked by fire ants. Kid is usually taken to hospital, some have died. Ask anyone that lives in Florida, they'll back me up on this.

Edit: OMG, there is even a cheezy "Rescue 911" type of documentary on it. I won't bother to embedded, as these are bad, but here are links:

Warning: More rednecks
Part 1
and part 2

Last edited:
Back