What's your price resistance for 1/6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much will you pay for a standard SSC 12" figure?

• $50-55

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • $60-70

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • $70-80

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • $80-90

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • over $100

Votes: 11 12.8%

• Total voters
Personally, I think anything higher than $65 would scare a lot of the market away, thus reducing profit margin by not being able to sell as many. Especially some of the younger crowd that probably have a hard time justifying $55-65 on a figure/doll as it is. I understand and completely accept inflation, but to go from current market price ($55-$65) to much higher (i.e. $70-80) would slow down my purchasing. Plus, I think the current hobbit prices are already adjusted for inflation. Probably be more left in stock for longer periods, reducing collectibility factor as well.

Of course this excludes any knock-out pieces, they would sell out quickly. Speaking of which, why hasn't the dead TCUO sold out yet?

I do not see any rational reason why the new body should raise the base price of standard figures more than $5-10.

IMO, there is no reason to raise the price for a new body. Sideshow has been using the same design for years. My Terminator figures have the copyright 2000 on them. Whichever new design they choose, they will mass produce thousands upon thousands a times. Take the average edition size and multiply by the number of figures Sideshow has released thus far. I do not see a price increase for a new body justified.

i voted 60 - 70 -- purely economic -- i'd have to be way more selective -- i'm glad ss got sw, simply because if ht or medi got it, my collection would be pretty sparse -- i've picked up the fetts, but, for the price difference, the quality of maul wasn't phenominally better -- i'm quite happy with ssc's -- the buck doesn't bother me at all -- i tend tp pose the figures & then leave them for quite some time before re-posing.

In my opinion the price should not go up at all because of a change in body. All of the major 1/6 manufacturers from Dragon to BBI or Hot Toys and Medicom have updated their bodies at least 3 times since 2000 without the price increasing because of a new version.
I only use the year 2000 because that is the year I bought my first Frankenstein from SSC. Since 2000 all of the updates I can recall is to the female figures and minimal ones to the male body.
If anything SSC should be giving us a price break for using the same bodies all this time but I digress.
If they are going to up the quality of everything else then yes the price point should increase, but not for a new body that has been overdue. But that's just my opinion.

Speaking of which, why hasn't the dead TCUO sold out yet?
I want to buy this figure, but the shipping costs me more than the actual figure. I'm not in a hurry this time because the edition size is TBA, plus I'm going to wait to see if it will be made available to local retailers, because I've been bitten too many times.

new body? higher price? hahahahh!!! it's still made of plastic.. why should the price inflate? unless of course the price of plastic has gone up?

The research and development costs of any new product has to amortized over the life of the product. So a new body means more money spent to develop it, thus an increase in costs passed on to the consumer.

The research and development costs of any new product has to amortized over the life of the product. So a new body means more money spent to develop it, thus an increase in costs passed on to the consumer.

I am sure you know more about this than I but that just doesn't make sense to me. If they need to develop new products shouldn't they already have the departments in place for that? All the other 1/6 companies put out newer better bodies every couple of years, SSC has, to be nice, fallen behind the others. They have saved money by using the same body consistantly so now wee have to pay more for something they probably should have done in 2004 when they had the Van Helsing and Hellboy licenses?
I am sorry, I just disagree.

I think that $60-$70 is about right for a standard figure although some of the ss work is brilliant, and for the right figure i would pay more just because of the quality of the work.
One thing i must say is that living in the UK i have to pay way more sometimes so much that now i get my figures from the US as it is cheaper even with postage.

$60-70 with the new body maybe. With a higher price i would like to see the boots that make cool looking poses, like the new line ones.

I would pay $150+ for the figures I really want, as long as they were well done. I always prefer quality to quantity. So for hot toys quality i would pay Hot Toys prices. If the likeness is spot on and the clothing and accessories great then the figure wold be worth it. However, if the figure looks like my faith and willow then I would pay no more than $50.

I mean i would pay $200 for a spot on illyria!

Sideshow hasn't made a new body since at least 2000. If someone wants to post a pic of Sideshow Bucks before 2000, that would be great. There have not been any improvements to the male body. Infact, my 2000 bodies have better flexibility because of looser springs and smoother arm articulation.

The female bodies have not been updated either, despite what some may think. The only difference is that some figures have feet whereas others have the feet as part of the shoes.

The majority of hands appear to have been molded for their monsters and zombie lines made years ago. Since then, they've just been reproducing these oddly shaped hands with excessive varicose veins that aren't even anatomically correct.

For them to raise the price on something that they should have done long ago to remain competitive is absolute BS.

i would buy if every thing was done right on them. i don't want to repeat what people have already said.
but i would have to be very selective.

Depends on the property and how well it's made, and what the materials are. Also, how rare it is. All factors in what I would spend into a figure. I could see myself spending 150 on a Hot Toys figure, but if it was a SSC 1:6 figure. I wouldn't go no more than 50. Hasbro or McFarlane stuff, I wouldn't even touch with a 10 foot pool anymore. I may even get out of the DCD 13" line. After witnessing what Hot Toys, Medicom, and DiD can fork out for products... everything else is.. meh. hehe

I don't know that a modified HT body will be more complex or have more parts - but a body that costs more to make each time also contributes to additional costs.

The thought of Sideshow's figures going up in price any more kind of scares me. I collect Sideshow because you get such high-quality at a reasonable price. If Sideshow started asking HT or Medicom prices I fear I'd have to get a new hobby :monkey2

I voted $70-$80 as my limit, but for that money, I would expect the shipping piece to match the prototype every time.

Note that the $70-$80 does not apply to special-needs figs like Vader or droids. I'm talking standard human-ish non-armor figs.

Back