What's with Hot Toys' overly tanned skin colors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevejack2

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've searched but found no real answer... does anyone know why Hot Toys have such tanned skin tones on caucasian figures all the time?

Is it because most people display them under white LED lights and it's designed to counteract the glare?

Figures from Enterbay, Kaustic Plastic, ACI etc all have quite realistic caucasian skin tones (read: whiter) but Hot Toys figures all like like they've been locked in a Solarium for a few hours. Just wondering if anyone knew the reason.

That's a good question. There's been quite a few figures with complexions far darker than they should be. I'm looking at you Marty McFly.

This is really starting to bug me now that I have figures from other companies with normal skin tones. Marty McFly is particularly bad, so much so I may pass on the Part II figure because of this. He looks way too tanned, almost to the point where you wouldn't think he was played by a white actor. They really need to fix this.

I remember being shocked when I opened Wolverine MMS220. The skin tone was so damn dark... I thought it was a defect at first.

It's more noticeable when you've been looking at figures from other manufacturers and then you pick up a Hot Toys figure and it just looks artificial. As good as their sculpts and paint jobs are overall, the dark skin really kills the realism on certain figures.

Yeah my MOS Superman definitely looks pretty dark under normal light, but under the LED lighting of my display it's not really noticeable at all. And that is the most ideal way to display these things, so I don't really see it as an issue.

Hot toys plastic heads are made form PVC and other companies aren't. When tinted, it tends to look a bit dull, in contrast to styrene.

To lessen the costs of materials, the paint scheme is simplified to have a base tone over which they hand paint detail, shadows etc. The base color then comes from the tinted PVC that doesn't gives out the best properties or isn't well calibrated and isn't the most color stable polymer.

Color can be characterised in various forms. One is the HSV scale. Hue (color tint, green, blue, etc). Saturation (how intense is the color). Value (how brigth).

Some of the latest heads display a low value, low brightness and they look toned down. It could be corrected adding more opacifiers/brighteners to the plastic. Maybe they are cheaping costs or their factories are running them short... dunno.

Also they are "difficult to look at", in a sense in which they look semi transparent, just slightly. That is also a lack of opacifiers, and problem of the base color of the plastic that must be calibrated better.

I'm also not sure, but I believe their hue is a little towards the yellows in most heads. Actually PVC tends to yellow overtime in exposure to UV (as most plastics do) acquiring a yellowish brown look, however not only light affects it. Also heat and it could degrade easily the final color. So again, bad color calibration. Or maybe they are over compensating the yellowing with blue tinting...

If they were to use actual paint for the base color, instead of tinting the PVC, it'd look better as it adds little variations over the color blending, light scatering, etc. and they'd avoid the color contamination from the plastic itself. This is particularly noticeable in the press shots or expositions where they have presentation models that are hand painted and look well balanced, compared to the industrial model that you can buy

Last edited:
I've noticed this too and wondered the same.
Even my sister who doesn't collect asked why my Steve Rogers looked so tan haha.

I think the skin tone is always dark so it'll look better on flash photography. I sculpt, recast then paint 1:6 heads, but when painted in normal Caucasian (pinkish) skin tones and I take a picture with flash, the heads look so pale and dead.

I think the skin tone is always dark so it'll look better on flash photography. I sculpt, recast then paint 1:6 heads, but when painted in normal Caucasian (pinkish) skin tones and I take a picture with flash, the heads look so pale and dead.

My money is on Parvo.

I'd argue that the latest Terminator is one of the worst offenders, especially the mangled sculpt. I like the figure, but the T-800's skin was decomposing and rotten at that point in the film, not tan like the figure.

I don't know why Hot Toys keep doing it, but it's starting to really bug me. Marty was far too dark too.

Well, if you look at actual actors' makeup when being filmed, they are all wearing a type of pancake makeup...not that they are the color of pancakes necessarily, but the pancake makeup helps actors not look like sun-bleached, pale-a$$ vampires, reflecting light off their faces under the hot set lights...perhaps not so much a "screen accurate" color , but a set-accurate color, to even out under the proper lighting, (like Vader's facemask) considering they seem to use costume and makeup test photos as reference...the obi-wan from ANH was sculpted from a very specific camera / makeup costume test photograph where he looks more like a tanned jorah marmot from GoT, than the very pale sir Alex Guinness we know.

That said, yes, generally the figures look darker than the movie counterparts. Even jack sparrow is EXTRA tan....

Perhaps the are likening the skin colors to the many affluent actors themselves..celebrities, many, are tan from all the sun they are exposed to from their active, outdoor, or beach going lifestyles their celebrity can afford.....acting isn't an office job and isn't a job that keeps people indoors for 40 hours a week, to become translucent cave spiders either.

HT skin tone is especially striking when compared to a quality custom paint job. Putting HT Han next to my Obi Wan repaint is like night and day.

Back