What's the hold up with the Gandalf the Grey PF??!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to say this but I would be very hesitant in getting into another "Middle Earth based" 1/6th line from Sideshow. With the dropping of the LOTR 1/6th line without completing the Fellowship Nine, I wouldn't want to start collecting "The Hobbit" figures, only to have the line get "put on hiatus" halfway through as well. To be honest, I see SS moving away from 1/6th figures completely.

I hate to say this but I would be very hesitant in getting into another "Middle Earth based" 1/6th line from Sideshow. With the dropping of the LOTR 1/6th line without completing the Fellowship Nine, I wouldn't want to start collecting "The Hobbit" figures, only to have the line get "put on hiatus" halfway through as well. To be honest, I see SS moving away from 1/6th figures completely.

I doubt they'll do that. Just in SW figures alone they'll be losing a ton.

I still have hope on the LOTR 1/6 line.

They walked away from the LOTR licence years ago then in rapid succession announced the Kong, Narnia, and Superman licences....and have done very little since then.

Not counting Hellgate:london, Doctor Who, Halo and second lot of Narnia then...

But in a way your right, Weta is a much larger company that also do some collectables, compared to Sideshow that only do collectables.

I think in many ways its more a passion for Weta, clearly demonstrated by a number of the ppl that work there and of course of couple of the owners as well.

I think of Weta as more of a "boutique" high-end collectable producer, that will take a chance and see how it goes. If it turns a very nice profit, then great, if not, then o'well, not exactly going to have a huge impact on their bottom line.
A plus side for us, is that for many of us, we get the statues we have always wanted, that no one else would make. And on top of that, no matter what one may say about recent license choices, there is no question about the quality of the statues produced.

Now, on the subject of a GtG PF, I really don't expect to see one for sometime, if at all and in many ways I hope they don't, because if it turns out very good, I just may have to get it and I want to save space for characters I don't already have in statue form.

While this is certainly true I think you have to remember that Weta, first and foremost, is a special effects company, not a collectibles company. It seems to me they are content where they are, and doing what they're doing. They walked away from the LOTR licence years ago then in rapid succession announced the Kong, Narnia, and Superman licences....and have done very little since then.
As far as I can tell making movie collectibles isn't their passion....making movie special effects is. Producing collectibles seems to be like a part-time job for them, one that they work at when they have time, but being how successful they are in the movie industry there seems to be precious little time available. I think this lack of emphasis on collectibles is reflected in their lack of licences, and their lack of success.
Good thoughts. They did collectibles initally to give their artists an avenue of income while they were waiting for work to come in. Of course, only thing was this was the collectibles thing started with Lotr and they really haven't been between jobs for quite sometime since lol.
Do they even actively pursue licenses? It seems, they tend more to do collectibles associated with movies they may be involved in so I wonder if these other licenses they've acquired was because they were approached by outside interests. Im sure this is how they came to do the statue for Zorro and I think Hellgate.
No sure about Dr Who but it seems such an unlikely license ... just wondering. :)

No sure about Dr Who but it seems such an unlikely license ... just wondering. :)

David Tremont and I think a couple of others at Weta are huge Doctor Who fans. Not sure if it was the BBC or Weta that made the first move, but it by no means is a one sided interest.

Back