What would be a good McGuffin?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it should be something that's already been found. If you want it to be a Judeo-Christian relic, how about The True Cross (which was lost in battle during the Crusades with only small shards supposedly recovered)? Or Noah's Ark (which some believe to be in modern day Turkey)?

RAIDERS OF THE OTHER LOST ARK? :lol

Noah's Ark is probably the best object to go with, everyone is aware of it.

But I like the idea of something new, which can be explained and explored which ties into a larger Historical event. Part of the fun is the learning.

Got me wanting #5 already. Shroud of Turin-although some goober thinks it's bigfoot now.

Indiana Jones and the Instrument of Isis. Her sacred instrument is called the Sistrum. With this instrument the user would be the most powerful person in the whole. It would grant the user power the power of all the goddesses. It has been stayed that during the course of Egyptian history, Isis learned the attributes and functions of virtually every other important goddess in the land. Some believe she was the most powerful magician in the universe. All this owing to the fact that she had learned the Secret Name of Ra from the god himself. The user would have the power light, dark, water, air, life, death, etc.

There are a whole bunch of good McGuffins for Indiana Jones. Heck, even the Lost City of Eldorado would have been a good stopping point (and made that the point of the movie).

Keep in mind that I havent seen the movie yet, but I dont think the Crustal skull is a bad McGuffin at all... since the McGuffin should be replaceable with another item without changing the story (e.g., replacing the Maltese Falcon with the Chinese Dragon or Aztec Dagger), a "better" item isnt really necessary.

I think people just want an item they've heard of for an Indy movie... that may be why many people dont care for TOD... but it's kind of sad that we've tied Indy to finding items of Judeo-Christian nature...

Excalibur I like a lot - but they've kind of done the Arthur myth with the Grail.

What would the end user get? A good bit of blinde enemies I suppose. May be you could combine it with sword in the stone, and then they could become the king/queen of England. I would rather see something like the Armour of Achilles or something.

Excalibur I like a lot - but they've kind of done the Arthur myth with the Grail.

The Medieval knights would only be a small portion if this fictional item was discovered to be in fact real (which I have to stress again is completely FALSE). Indy'd have to travel to... England (Stonehenge...), Italy, possibly the Middle East--- I think it'd work as a strong MacGuffin and the general public would identify with the objects importance-- even if maybe over 50% would go into the movie thinking that the sword wasn't fictional.

I think about a horrific fake reality show (I think it was on FOX) a couple of years ago that was a take-off of the Apprentice. When the multi-millionaire boss brought the group of supposedly well-educated business contestants up to his penthouse he had a sword incased in glass that he said was the actual Excalibur--- the conestants gushed in their journal interviews how wonderful it was to see the real Excalibur... They were all college graduates... It was at this point that I had serious doubts about the post-secondary institutions south of the border.:lol

:gun

Keep in mind that I havent seen the movie yet, but I dont think the Crustal skull is a bad McGuffin at all... since the McGuffin should be replaceable with another item without changing the story (e.g., replacing the Maltese Falcon with the Chinese Dragon or Aztec Dagger), a "better" item isnt really necessary.

I think people just want an item they've heard of for an Indy movie... that may be why many people dont care for TOD... but it's kind of sad that we've tied Indy to finding items of Judeo-Christian nature...

I think people don't really care if the heard of it. I would rather have a point. If Indy didn't complete the question, the end result would have been the same. No matter what, the soviets weren't getting what they were after.

Mutt Williams and the Search for Spielburg/Lucas' Credibility! :gun:whip

This would be awesome, but I don't think it would ever end. :D

How about stonehenge and the druids, ties into King Arthur from Wiki

Stonehenge is also mentioned within Arthurian legend. Geoffrey of Monmouth said that Merlin the wizard directed its removal from Ireland, where it had been constructed on Mount Killaraus by Giants, who brought the stones from Africa. After it had been rebuilt near Amesbury, Geoffrey further narrates how first Ambrosius Aurelianus, then Uther Pendragon, and finally Constantine III, were buried inside the ring of stones. In many places in his Historia Regum Britanniae Geoffrey mixes British legend and his own imagination; it is intriguing that he connects Ambrosius Aurelianus with this prehistoric monument, seeing how there is place-name evidence to connect Ambrosius with nearby Amesbury.
According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, the rocks of Stonehenge were healing rocks which Giants brought from Africa to Ireland for their healing properties. These rocks were called The Giant's Dance. Aurelius Ambrosias (5th Century), wishing to erect a memorial to the nobles (3000) who had died in battle with the Saxons and were buried at Salisbury, chose (at Merlin's advice) Stonehenge to be their monument. So the King sent Merlin, Uther Pendragon (Arthur's father), and 15,000 knights to Ireland to retrieve the rocks. They slew 7,000 Irish. As the knights tried to move the rocks with ropes and force, they failed. Then Merlin, using "gear" and skill, easily dismantled the stones and sent them over to Britain, where Stonehenge was dedicated. Shortly after, Aurelius died and was buried within the Stonehenge monument, or "The Giants' Ring of Stonehenge".

How about stonehenge and the druids, ties into King Arthur from Wiki

Stonehenge is also mentioned within Arthurian legend. Geoffrey of Monmouth said that Merlin the wizard directed its removal from Ireland, where it had been constructed on Mount Killaraus by Giants, who brought the stones from Africa. After it had been rebuilt near Amesbury, Geoffrey further narrates how first Ambrosius Aurelianus, then Uther Pendragon, and finally Constantine III, were buried inside the ring of stones. In many places in his Historia Regum Britanniae Geoffrey mixes British legend and his own imagination; it is intriguing that he connects Ambrosius Aurelianus with this prehistoric monument, seeing how there is place-name evidence to connect Ambrosius with nearby Amesbury.
According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, the rocks of Stonehenge were healing rocks which Giants brought from Africa to Ireland for their healing properties. These rocks were called The Giant's Dance. Aurelius Ambrosias (5th Century), wishing to erect a memorial to the nobles (3000) who had died in battle with the Saxons and were buried at Salisbury, chose (at Merlin's advice) Stonehenge to be their monument. So the King sent Merlin, Uther Pendragon (Arthur's father), and 15,000 knights to Ireland to retrieve the rocks. They slew 7,000 Irish. As the knights tried to move the rocks with ropes and force, they failed. Then Merlin, using "gear" and skill, easily dismantled the stones and sent them over to Britain, where Stonehenge was dedicated. Shortly after, Aurelius died and was buried within the Stonehenge monument, or "The Giants' Ring of Stonehenge".

Well now... We're tying this baby all together. Someone get Spielberg and Lucas on the phone...:D

While I LIKE the idea of using the Spear of Destiny, technically it's already been found... a couple of times :p (I say that because there are a couple of relics that are paraded around as THE Spear)
https://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page477.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_of_destiny
I made a 1/6th replica of the one at the first link. Well, Started it, it's not finished yet.

I WOULD like to see Excalibur. Since no sword has ever been identified as "THE EXCALIBUR" (and in fact there isn't much if any proof it existed) it would be a great Macguffin for Jones.

Id like to see how they design the sword ;) I loved the Ark and the Grail was very appropriate.
I don't know, well, anything about the sankara stones but I liked the way those were handled and the crystal skull was an interesting take on the real ones also.

Last edited:
Excalibur gets my vote. With a setting in England/Scotland, they could easily work in the haunted castle sequence Lucas has wanted for so long.

The Amber Room

*high five* That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

As for the spear of destiny, I think that it could be done even though it has been done in the comics. A crystal skull was used in the books, and I'm going to guess Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge has something to do with the Ark, um the lower case ark. Excalibur would be cool.

Maybe he could go after the treasure described in the copper scroll that was found with the Dead Sea scrolls.

Anyone posting pics of a breakfast food will be banned.

Party Pooper. :(

Pieces of the true cross - many locations, but primarily Santo Toribio de Liébana, Spain would be a good one or Mary's cloak located in Aachen, Germany....the Spear of Destiny is really the best one IMHO.

Excalibur gets my vote. Its definately a worthy McGuffin that everyone knows something about. A Scottland and England setting would be cool. Maybe then they can get Sean back for this one, they can set it a few years or so ahead of KotCS like they did with ToDn (needs to be at least 4 years by the date on the statue in KotCS I think?)?

Excalibur seems like a good choice but not reallly a fan of the Indy adventuring around 50's depressed Britain or 60's groovy Britain.

Id like to see something set in around Buddism or the Orient, im sure theres alot of cool stuff there.

Back