What to do when family is criticizing your collecting hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it tell ya that the majority of that group agreed with his mom?

SnakeDoc

We must have read different threads.
I don't think his mums argument was that he should move out so he doesn't have to hear her nagging and he'd have more room to display more toys :D

I read it that his mom preferred he use his money to move out instead of blowing it on toys, and most people agreeing with the mom, adding that a benefit of living on your own is that no one hassles you about your collecting.

Lol ive been waiting for this thread for a long time. Every time i even mention the word predator or hot toys my brother stops me and says that its a waste of money and doesnt even do anything for my life and i cant really fight back because hes a really sporty guy and spends his money wisely. Me? Not so much. When i asked my mum, she either ignores me or says that itsa waste of money and will break easily. She also says that i cant take care of my property well and will probably tear his head of whilst trying to move it. My dad agrees with my mum and says ill probably be dissapointed when i get the figure. Ive shown them all the pictures of the predators but they just sigh and repeat their respected phrases. Hopefully one day ill get one, just one though lol.

Listen, I'm 27, paying my mortgage and I still have to hear how much of a waste of cash action figures and statues are. My reply to my family members and my gf is always the same "Fine, I'll just choose another hobby. Maybe I'll pick up smoking or drinking"... that usually shuts them up considering the alternatives.

I'm 31 and I used to say that to my family too. I was on my own for awhile, but my parents asked me back to help them out with the bills. After three years its just become the norm. Now my parents like my collection. My mom can't hassle much anyway seeing as her whole home office is PACKED with Disneyana. When I told her the price of 3A Rex her jaw dropped. She was about to say something, but I simply cut her off by pointing at her "office". That shut her up .

My wife's actually really good. When I say stuff like, the boys are going out Friday but I'd rather spend it on this figure, she gets a bit excited!

I think it's definitely an older persons hobby. Hot Toys are too expensive to be pissing away 200-300 bucks when you could be saving up to go travel the world and gain life experience.

Don't get me wrong, I collected stuff when I was 17+ years old but nothing on the scale of this, and even if I did , I might have one piece, not thousands worth. I collected comic books and small Star Wars figures, not a $300 battle damaged Terminator!

When you're 25+ got your own house, married or gf, steady job, this hobby becomes really fun and manageable, your head is clear and you also have a great life behind you if you went travelling for a few years or invested in a house or a car.

Verdict - Keep what you've got now (or cull the pieces you don't like), go live up your life then come back bigger and badder when your settled!

Verdict - Keep what you've got now (or cull the pieces you don't like), go live up your life then come back bigger and badder when your settled!

Problem with that is all the coolest stuff that there has ever been is coming out right now.

I really could do with getting out of the hobby and saving money but my longest held obsession of Terminator, and to a lesser extent Robocop, is now getting the most amazing figures we have ever seen. In the context of my entire collecting-life it makes little sense to choose this time to get out. Unless my other half and I had an unplanned pregnancy or something in which case I'd have zero choice but to quit.

Problem with that is all the coolest stuff that there has ever been is coming out right now.

I really could do with getting out of the hobby and saving money but my longest held obsession of Terminator, and to a lesser extent Robocop, is now getting the most amazing figures we have ever seen. In the context of my entire collecting-life it makes little sense to choose this time to get out. Unless my other half and I had an unplanned pregnancy or something in which case I'd have zero choice but to quit.

Easy to say that though. It's like saying the Playstation 1 is the greatest console that ever existed....til 2 years down the line.....til 3 years down the line.

If you have a favourite line then concentrate on that line only. There's a lot to be said for just liking what you have and not wanting the latest and greatest all the time. That's why you bought it in the first place right!!

Worst case you sell off the MMS version for the DX, or the SS versions for an Enterbay etc etc.

There's always a better model, be it computers, toys, cars.....women. :rotfl

Easy to say that though. It's like saying the Playstation 1 is the greatest console that ever existed....til 2 years down the line.....til 3 years down the line.

If you have a favourite line then concentrate on that line only. There's a lot to be said for just liking what you have and not wanting the latest and greatest all the time. That's why you bought it in the first place right!!

Worst case you sell off the MMS version for the DX, or the SS versions for an Enterbay etc etc.

There's always a better model, be it computers, toys, cars.....women. :rotfl

You had to make this point didn't you? You couldn't let me revel in my collecting-perpetuating self-justification :lol

Well, I have no high end BD T-800s (the custom I bought off CREGcustoms excepted) so I'm at least allowed to get my firsts on those! When I start making excuses for why I'm allowed get the BD 2.0s...then maybe...

My wife's actually really good. When I say stuff like, the boys are going out Friday but I'd rather spend it on this figure, she gets a bit excited!

I think it's definitely an older persons hobby. Hot Toys are too expensive to be pissing away 200-300 bucks when you could be saving up to go travel the world and gain life experience.

Don't get me wrong, I collected stuff when I was 17+ years old but nothing on the scale of this, and even if I did , I might have one piece, not thousands worth. I collected comic books and small Star Wars figures, not a $300 battle damaged Terminator!

When you're 25+ got your own house, married or gf, steady job, this hobby becomes really fun and manageable, your head is clear and you also have a great life behind you if you went travelling for a few years or invested in a house or a car.

:goodpost::exactly:

Nicely said.

However, if somebody did try to give me grief, I would throw it in their face, because I have dirt on everybody I know. My situation is convenient that way.

:panic:

Slightly scared for those people.

because I have dirt on everybody I know.

kingpin250pxkingpinm.jpg

I agree with most people, here. I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you are not feeding or housing yourself (or helping to feed & house yourself), I don't think you should have the luxury of spending money on that which makes you happy. Just my opinion, of course, but I am concerned about that entitlement kind of thinking which seems more prevalent now than it used to. The issue seems more of where the priorities are and where the money is going than the actual collecting, itself.

Don't stop collecting if you love it, no matter what anyone else says, just maybe put it on hold for a while, or ask for those things as Christmas gifts.

Last edited:
Asking things for Xmas and birthdays got me through the living-at-home-while-trying-to-collect years. Even better if you have your bday close to Xmas and proceed to beg your loved ones to combine presents into bigger ones. But if your family is giving you flak, your chances might not be too good of them buying you the stuff as gifts...

Sell a few of your figures for a profit, which will then justify such a collection. You can show the mom that you pretty much traded money in for figures, and it can be traded back when needed (plus a small profit).

Collect smartly though, don't be buying things where there are little or no after market resale value.

You actually have a really nice mom. My mom would of kicked me in the face. My mom still kicks me in the face right now..calling me a money waster even though I have high paying job/almost paid off my house at 30. You are essentially using your mom's money to buy figures (because she gave you free rent and food). Think of it this way, it would of cost you 5k the past 1.5 years to rent a place(being in NY, that number is more like 15k)..but because you saved that money, you bought figures instead. It's the same idea as you renting and your mom dropped 5k in figures for you as a present.

Back