What to do when family is criticizing your collecting hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got supportive family, as long as it doesn't turn into hoarding, and spendings are justifiable. Make my own money to pay for my own hobby.

I feel that if it's all contained in your own room or place, then it's fine. but if you're hoarding your parents' house with figures...you should think of moving out before spending anymore money on toys.

Yeah all of my collection is just in my room and displayed very neat/organized. It's definitely not a case of hoarding nor does it look like it with figures everywhere. I take pride in the way my collection is displayed. Everyone that comes over always seems to love my room the most...haha.

Move out- you can restart collection later.......the criticizing will only get worse- they mean the best for you- when you are that young advice like this may seem not so important but they, in many cases, know best!

At the end of the day, eventhough I have my own place, work hard for my money, drive a nice car, have a beautiful girlfriend, I STILL feel guilty sometimes for spending money on collectibles. It's a luxury. We don't need it. Sometimes i wonder if I'd be better served to never have gotten into 1/6 at all. Just my thought.

Some days I feel like selling it ALL and be done with it..but I just can't do it...the addiction way too strong............:panic:

Do what makes you happy, but remember this.. . your collection won't scare any women away, but living at home might.

I also think I will buy a house that I can also rent out, to help cover the mortgage.

:horror

If you do this, then you're going to have to lay down a very strict policy on who you let move in with you. I've done house shares before. The first was great. The second: A NIGHTMARE. I'm actually moving out tomorrow. Maybe if it's your house, it would be different, since you'd have more control over who is living there and what the rules are and such. But please, if you do this, be careful. Sharing a house with other people that are not family can be...well, it can get pretty ugly.

With that said, I think you should move out because that will bring you happiness in addition to independence. You said you've been to college, did you live away from home during those years? Or have you always lived at home? Living on your own is SO liberating. You can come and go as you please, you can be away for days at a time without having to answer to anyone (assuming you haven't any pets), you can walk around stark naked if you want. I love the feeling of freedom. I miss my mother (but I've moved to a completely different country), but living on your own or with a significant other REALLY beats living with your parents.

I get what you mean about wanting to hang on to the comfort of having someone pay your way. But freedom, ironically, has never been free at all. It's worth the costs, though. Also, don't worry about your collection scaring women off. What you said in this thread is right. If they get scared off by your collection, they aren't worth your time. My husband had zero figures when we met. He's got...well, one or two now haha. But he loves looking at mine out on display. They are fun.

So all in all, I'd say, don't stop collecting and don't let people make you feel bad about collecting. Just make sure your hobby stays as a hobby, not an obsession or addiction. If you MUST get a figure every now and again, why not expand your collection and break into the six inch scale figures? NECA and McFarlane make great collectibles, and they are much cheaper than Hot Toys. :wink1:

Your mom sounds like a smart lady. Listen to her advice. $5K in 18 months is a fair chunk of change.

:horror

If you do this, then you're going to have to lay down a very strict policy on who you let move in with you. I've done house shares before. The first was great. The second: A NIGHTMARE. I'm actually moving out tomorrow. Maybe if it's your house, it would be different, since you'd have more control over who is living there and what the rules are and such. But please, if you do this, be careful. Sharing a house with other people that are not family can be...well, it can get pretty ugly.

With that said, I think you should move out because that will bring you happiness in addition to independence. You said you've been to college, did you live away from home during those years? Or have you always lived at home? Living on your own is SO liberating. You can come and go as you please, you can be away for days at a time without having to answer to anyone (assuming you haven't any pets), you can walk around stark naked if you want. I love the feeling of freedom. I miss my mother (but I've moved to a completely different country), but living on your own or with a significant other REALLY beats living with your parents.

I get what you mean about wanting to hang on to the comfort of having someone pay your way. But freedom, ironically, has never been free at all. It's worth the costs, though. Also, don't worry about your collection scaring women off. What you said in this thread is right. If they get scared off by your collection, they aren't worth your time. My husband had zero figures when we met. He's got...well, one or two now haha. But he loves looking at mine out on display. They are fun.

So all in all, I'd say, don't stop collecting and don't let people make you feel bad about collecting. Just make sure your hobby stays as a hobby, not an obsession or addiction. If you MUST get a figure every now and again, why not expand your collection and break into the six inch scale figures? NECA and McFarlane make great collectibles, and they are much cheaper than Hot Toys. :wink1:

Thanks for your response :)

Yeah, that's my one big concern about renting. I know how much of a pain it can be to live with people (especially strangers) so I really prefer to live on my own. Lots of people have recommended I do this for my first home because it will greatly help pay off the mortgage and then if I decide to move to a second house later on, I can rent it out to a second family, allowing for even more passive income.

I have lived on my own for 4 years when I was in college. I know how amazing it is, believe me. I remember when I used to come home for vacation from college and the first few days were nice but then I couldn't wait to go back to school haha.

The only reason I'm still home right now is because I'm just trying to save up as much as I can (which I was doing great until I started collecting but collecting hasn't completely stopped that -- rather it has inhibited it a little). I have a full time job and I have a job on the side in which I clean people's fish tanks haha (another hobby of mine). My mom has taught me a lot about being financially fit and I would never let this hobby interfere with things that are more important in life.

And I do collect NECA figures. In fact I have more NECA figures than anything else in my collection. I actually only have a few Hot Toys figures. I absolutely love NECA's products. I think they are part of the reason my mom thinks my hobby is childish. NECA figures look more like actual toys on a shelf than collectibles. So when my mom comes in my room and sees all of them, it gives off a kids vibe.

My parents tease me from time to time for what they affectionately call my "dolls" but it's just harmless ribbing. I think that some people will just simply never understand why we choose to spend our money on figures, but I'll never understand why someone would spend $500 on a pair of shoes or designer jeans. To each his own, and you should spend your money on what you enjoy.

THAT BEING SAID spending that kind of cheese on figs in an 18 month period is rather ridiculous if your mom is trying to encourage you to move out. Move out, pay your own way, then no one can tell you s*** about what you choose to spend your money on bro!!

yeah 5k in a year is a little much, but its your cash and life.
But for me thats too much for collecting in a year.
i collect year long and i spend maybe 1000 in a year on collectibles and junk( tv's dvds, blu ray, comics, junk food included.
maybe toned it down and save up to get out of your moms house.

Meh, I work hard for my money and spend it on what I want. People have tried to make me feel bad about certain things, but they got shot to the wayside. My girlfriend is such a loving, caring woman and understands me and never tries to put down my hobbies, quite the opposite. My vices are fairly innocent. Expensive, but innocent. :lol

Any skirt that gets at your collecting, bring up their shoes, handbags and clothing. Watch them, stfu.

Listen, I'm 27, paying my mortgage and I still have to hear how much of a waste of cash action figures and statues are. My reply to my family members and my gf is always the same "Fine, I'll just choose another hobby. Maybe I'll pick up smoking or drinking"... that usually shuts them up considering the alternatives.

There is a lot worse things you could be doing with your money. This is a "healthy" hobby. The only downside it's the cost, and even then it's really not that bad (compared to other hobbies like photography, golf, etc).

With that being said, you should focus on saving money to help you achieve your goals. Only spend as much as you can save and don't ever get yourself into debt over figures.

I'm sure you'll get the most unbiased advice possible posting this question on a board solely dedicated to people who spend a lot of money collecting the same thing :D

I'm sure you'll get the most unbiased advice possible posting this question on a board solely dedicated to people who spend a lot of money collecting the same thing :D

What does it tell ya that the majority of that group agreed with his mom?

SnakeDoc

Back