What is your greatest film ending scene?(it could involve end credits or not)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Return of the King. I know people whine and complain that it has 15 endings, but I seriously love every single one of them. Cry like a baby every time I watch it.

It's a tragic gut shot, it forces you to see the entire film from another perspective, its visceral impact on Jake is jarring, and the film ends on that bleak note which is a fitting throwback to the genre. One of the best. Director is the worst kind of scum, but damn if he isn't one of the best filmmakers we've ever seen.

It's a tragic gut shot, it forces you to see the entire film from another perspective, its visceral impact on Jake is jarring, and the film ends on that bleak note which is a fitting throwback to the genre. One of the best. Director is the worst kind of scum, but damn if he isn't one of the best filmmakers we've ever seen.

Hmm, I guess I've always found the ending to be a bit disingenuous with how outlandish that cop's final shot was on Dunaway's fleeing car and how spectacularly gory the end result was. I mean I could see it working in something that was outlandish from beginning to end like Fargo or something but I always felt that it was too obvious that the ending was *trying* to be bleak and shocking. But I don't care for The Maltese Falcon either so noir (and retro noir like Chinatown) just might not be my thing.

Yes Polanski is scum but I wasn't holding that against the film.

Speaking of the Coens, I love the non-traditional (non-ending?) endings to the Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men. It's not something you want to see every time out, but it can be a nice change of pace from the conventional endings you get in 95%+ of movies. And in those films, it highlights the actual purpose of the film in a way that the audience may not recognize going in. No Country wasn't about Llewellyn, but rather the changing world, and the place in that world for people like Tommy Lee. In Lebowski, traditional film structure goes right out the window, which suits that character, and the absurdity of the story as a whole.

Another one that's popping in my brain for some reason is Bob Roberts, which I took cynical glee in watching as a high school kid. Still resonates.

Loved the ending to Seven, Legends of the Fall, Forest Gump, Shawshank redemption, Mist, king Kong,Abbott costello meet frankenstein

I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this rate, but I'll go with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Everything about those final scenes is just perfect to me - the final battle between Jack and Barbossa, Will freeing Jack from the noose, and Jack getting back the Pearl.

I could probably think of a few others given enough time... Maybe the original Jurassic Park.

Ignoring the obvious choices (like "Smile you son of a *****!", Luke blowing up the DS, "where we're going we don't need...roads" etc.) a "great endings" thread wouldn't be complete without mention of The Karate Kid and Rudy. :D

Also Max obliterating Humongous while using Wez as a human battering ram before realizing that he was carrying sand was about as epic a finale as you can get.

Last edited:
I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this rate, but I'll go with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Everything about those final scenes is just perfect to me - the final battle between Jack and Barbossa, Will freeing Jack from the noose, and Jack getting back the Pearl.

I could probably think of a few others given enough time... Maybe the original Jurassic Park.

"drink up me hearties yo ho" Was the perfect ending to that film :rock

I honestly can't remember much at all about any of the Pirates film endings. I think they were on a beach one time?

The first POTC ending was good. It had the two young characters kissing like an old school adventure film, and then Jack Sparrow's last scene was good, and fulfilling because he gets what he really wanted, his ship.

Back