What is the dumbest thing you've done with your SW collection? Any regrets?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart still breaks when I think about this.

When I was about 8 or 9, around 1981-2, my mother decided I was too old for toys and made me get rid of most of my SW stuff. So we packed up the Death Star, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Landspeeder, Cantina and a big chunk of the figures into the car to take to the dumpster. :( The saddest part is that we went to my cousin's apartment complex to use his dumpster, and as we threw the toys away, some woman came out and yelled at us about throwing stuff in "their" dumpster. But as we drove away, I saw her rummaging through what we threw away. For all I know she and her kids kept them and probably made a fortune off of them! :( :( I even still had the boxes. The boxes! My mom let me keep I think it was one case of figures and that was pretty much it. I still have them at my mother's house in Miami, and I don't even remember which ones I kept and which ones got tossed. I know at that point I had the full ANH and ESB lines of figures. When ROTJ came out I only got a couple of figures--I think just Jedi Luke and the Biker Scout. And around that time the 3 3/4 Joes started coming out so I started up with those figures too. I definitely slowed down with toys by then though and didn't get too deep with the Joes, maybe the first 3 generations up to around Destro and Major Bludd, but not to Zartan and beyond. But basically me being too old for toys didn't stick and I threw all those SW toys away for nothing. :( :( :(

Must be why I'm still trying to recapture my youth by buying these 1:6 figures!

Oh, and I also have a bunch of POTF and Episode I Hasbro figures just taking up space in a couple of bins in a storage area at home.

Funny part I don't have a single EP1 figure. I do plan to snag a R2 at some point.

When I was about 8 or 9, around 1981-2, my mother decided I was too old for toys and made me get rid of most of my SW stuff. So we packed up the Death Star, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Landspeeder, Cantina and a big chunk of the figures into the car to take to the dumpster. :( The saddest part is that we went to my cousin's apartment complex to use his dumpster, and as we threw the toys away, some woman came out and yelled at us about throwing stuff in "their" dumpster. But as we drove away, I saw her rummaging through what we threw away. For all I know she and her kids kept them and probably made a fortune off of them! :( :( I even still had the boxes. The boxes! My mom let me keep I think it was one case of figures and that was pretty much it. I still have them at my mother's house in Miami, and I don't even remember which ones I kept and which ones got tossed. I know at that point I had the full ANH and ESB lines of figures. When ROTJ came out I only got a couple of figures--I think just Jedi Luke and the Biker Scout. And around that time the 3 3/4 Joes started coming out so I started up with those figures too. I definitely slowed down with toys by then though and didn't get too deep with the Joes, maybe the first 3 generations up to around Destro and Major Bludd, but not to Zartan and beyond. But basically me being too old for toys didn't stick and I threw all those SW toys away for nothing. :( :( :(

Oh, and I also have a bunch of POTF and Episode I Hasbro figures just taking up space in a couple of bins in a storage area at home.

I hope you put your mother in a very ****** retirement home?

I hope you put your mother in a very ****** retirement home?

:rotfl

Despite that black mark on her record, I still love my mother! The only thing I can say in her defense is that my toys had taken over the entire house, which is probably the reason she got fed up and made me throw it all away. :(

Still too soon. :monkey2

I regret that I didn't have a nice allowance to go out and get 2 of each thing when I was little so that I could have 1 to play with and then 1 to retire off of 30 years later, hahah!

Actually there's nothing I will ever forget about my memories as a child having Star Wars toys. The movies and toys shaped my childhood like nothing else and If there was anything I regret it would be that I wish I took better care of the stuff I had then to still be able to enjoy today as sentiments from my childhood. I have gotten a few vintage buys in the past, but it just wasn't the same as the actual ones I had back in the day (even though they are real vintage if that makes sense).

I had kinda quit playing with my Star Wars figures by the time ROTJ came out, but my incredibly great Mom kept buying me carded figures. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to open them all and throw away the "useless" packaging, so they would take up less room in my storage boxes. I opened figures just to put them in cases instead of preserving dozens and dozens of carded figures.

maybe you should toss them into the big blue they would not be missed anyways :rotfl. I know what you mean I used to have all those figures. episode`s I, II, III, power of the force II, red cards. green cards w/w out holograms, freeze frames. all crap now except for weequay on freeze frame and those black vested mauls full circle half circles fetts blah or short sabers in long trays

......I got my storage room under the stairs completly full of modern Hasbro Star Wars. I was a die-hard collector from 1996-2005. It was fun while it lasted doing the 'toy run' thing with friends and the highs of finding stuff, but, now I'm just left with a lot of worthless crap that for whatever reason I can't bring myself to sell and or give away.

......I got my storage room under the stairs completly full of modern Hasbro Star Wars. I was a die-hard collector from 1996-2005. It was fun while it lasted doing the 'toy run' thing with friends and the highs of finding stuff, but, now I'm just left with a lot of worthless crap that for whatever reason I can't bring myself to sell and or give away.

Yup! And a mother that is mad that it remained in her house lol. I left it all there and have never looked back.

My parents were not very well off in the late 70's my father was in the last stages of becoming a lawyer and my mother just becoming a secondary teacher. I pissed and moaned for weeks to get Vader in '77; when I gave away my OT figures away in 83, I had TONS of hours playing with and enjoying the figures, never owned ANY of the ships or play-sets. Fast forward to 2012, I am in a Pawn shop in Nanaimo, BC and see a minty vinyl case from SW ANH, open it up and bammo, every 1st series with capes and weapons. (no vinyl cape or telescoping sabres---LOL) I ask the guy what he wants for the case, and he says, 'well, their pretty valuable, so how's $75 bucks...I beat him down to $50 and walked out of the shop and ran down the street geeking out. (PS I had David Prowse sign the case for me last year--so I can die a happy SW fan...)

Not leaving my original 1st edition Star Wars action figures in their sealed packages... but then again I was only 6 years old...

I had all the original figures from the late 70's, granted I played with them but I kept the cardboard part of the packaging so when I sold them at the garage sale with the weapons they had the artwork and well as the complete figure.

I remember being in High School and buying up all the early episode 1 figures thinking they would be worth something in 10-15 years. I think Toilet paper is worth more now. lol

You know....not so much. Oddly, back then there were a few all black vested darth maul variants circulating. I came across a few at toys r us and they sold rapidly on ebay for $350 each. To this day you can still find them at a higher price, but back then they certainly were a hot commodity.

My worst moment was throwing away the sears exclusive remote controlled land speeder that had that clickable r2d2 remote. Yeah. Threw it away. I was 17 at the time and figured i was too cool for toys. :slap

Edit actually i think it was jc penny ex

Last edited:
No regrets, but i once put Bespin Leia's flowery pink cape onto Vader, for a laugh, and i'll do it again.

Unfortunately I have a lot of regrets, but a lot of great memories of hunting this stuff down. For me the memories and the hunt is the best part. But now like so many, I have TONS of SW junk I can't sell much less give away. It's harsh but true. For a long time I was under the delusion that if it had the SW name on it, then it was valuable. WRONG!

I don't even know what to do with the Episode I stuff I have.

The shining light is, EVERY Christmas I donate a pile of POTF2 figures to toy drives, and I know that SW toys make less fortunate fans very happy. As much money as I wasted, there is a value in that.

Not leaving my original 1st edition Star Wars action figures in their sealed packages... but then again I was only 6 years old...

lol, same here. As a kid the mission was to see how fast I could free my 3 3/4" figures from their cases! Who knew? speaking of Vintage, like many kids, I had stopped collecting right after Jedi - then around 85 or so, a kid had Amanaman and I remember just being 'enthralled' by the strange looking alien. I almost went out to look for new SW figures but never did - could have gotten all the rare ones then!!!

My brother and I tied a string of rubber bands together till they were about 6 feet long then tied a few of our 4 inch figures one at a time to the end and swung it around to smash on the sidewalk! We were 5 and 9 at the time in 1979. We didn't know any better.

Last April when I decided to seperate from my wife.
68 SSC star wars 1/6th figures, mainly all exclusives...plus a dewback,plus a lot of hot toys figures...sold off to keep our marriage together.
I also regret not buying 99c vintage figures, potf figures in 85....still kick myself for that...I bought a fknTransformer named Swoop instead, grrrrrrrrrr.

Back