What is the dumbest thing you've done with your SW collection? Any regrets?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had not been into Star Wars for 15 years when i went to the theater end of 1999 to see TPM. Decided to hop by TRU afterward and picked up Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Maul thinking they would look good fighting on my desk.

Another 15 years and my house is filled with 1000+ Hasbro items, 100+ Sideshow 12" or PF collectibles, a dozen of GG maquettes and a couple MR lightsabers.

When i was 13 (1992) or so me and my brother found darth vader from a new hope from kenner mint condition in my fathers closet. He was saving that for a later i guess. As star wars fans, we opened it cause ours was broken. You know the cape, lightsaber. I still remember the look on my fathers face when we walked in. He accepted it, but damn, that look. Haunts me till this day.

Best,

Robert

Only been collecting for about 3 years, but I sold my Boba Mythos before the prices went up, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

When I was a kid I took my Qui-Gon action figure with me camping and almost melted his arm off roasting marshmallows because I was sitting too close to the fire with him. I still have him with his extra flat arm to this day

Honestly not much... as a kid I played with my toys so they're not worth anything. But they were toys so I don't lament that.

As a collector the only thing I mildly regret was getting into the 3 3/4" Hasbro figures when they started doing the vintage line. I didn't spend a lot, but did buy a lot of clones and other stuff I later sold for a lot less than I paid. It was funny, I'd avoided the first major waves of the new Star Wars toys silliness, but then got sucked in a bit when I was already collecting high-end stuff :lol

There have a been a few PF I regret not getting. I also kind of regret selling the MR stuff because I had ran out of space but now with a much bigger place I wish I still had them. Biggest regret would have been getting into the POTF2 stuff but that also brought me to this point. Also letting my mom get rid of my vintage vehicles as kid since they were "really beat up".

I don't regret stopping with SW as a kid as it got me a big score as adult when my grandparents found SW stuff they never gave me when I moved on to the next thing as a kid.

No ragrets.
Not even a single letter.
;-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 226
Regret? Not listening to my mother when she told me to clean up and put away my star wars toys. I left them, which included my early bird packaging, among things, on the basement floor ( had finished basement). That night, big thunderstorms came through dumping a lot of rain which proceeded to flood said basement, causing my mother to toss out everything that got wet....that stung for weeks. I learned my lesson the hard way. One bright note, I left my blue snaggletooth and double-telescoping luke, along with a couple of others, on a table. Fortunately those did not get tossed. Still have them today, too :lol

I remember when I was a kid I played with my figures a lot. I remember baring them in the soil of my moms garden I don't remember why but when I went to look for them I could not find them even to this day I still wonder what ever happened to them. I also remember I forgot to pick up my snow troopers and some other figures on the drive way and my dad ran them over with the car I was angry kid that day.

^ :lol I think a lot of us have been there. :lol

I remember when I was quite small, the head of my old Kenner Ben Kenobi broke off, & I threw it into the back yard somewhere.

What was much worse, was a few years later, I'd amassed a sizable loose figure collection & stored them in a large bucket. I took it to a 'friend's' house one day, forgot to grab them on the way home, & they.... disappeared after that. Hmm..

I'll never forget that - or the guy. :mad:

Not displaying any of my collection for a period of almost 15 years. That changed early last year when I decided to build out a new office and turn it into a showroom as well.

From 1995 to 2000 I collected almost all of the Kenner/Hasbro releases, so I suppose I somewhat regret not having also started scooping up vintage stuff back then. It was mostly newsgroups and private lists, then some of the sites still around today showed up like Rebel Scum, Sir Steve's, TFN, etc.

WRT to picking up stuff you wish you hadn't, that would be most of the McFarlane stuff I have, including quite a lot of Spawn figures. There are a number of pieces I've always liked, but I really wish I could unload many of them still brand new in packaging.

Buying them.

This...........:lecture

I shudder to think at the amount of money I spent on this stuff over the years, I roughly kept track of it years ago. Stopped when I started getting migranes and started to twitch.........:thud:

I was already working for a company under contract to Apple when I was well into collecting the Hasbro line, so I had a decent amount of insight into the company - but I didn't have a clue they'd take off the way they did. If I had put every penny of that and some other money I likely foolishly spent into Apple stock… I'd be pretty well off right now, let me tell you. Well over $1m today if it matters.

Last edited:
I will throw my name in as another sucker who bought Ep. 1 figures. Ugh, what a waste of time/money. They are still sitting in a box in my basement. Every so often I will list the whole box on ebay as a lot and never get anyone to take it. :lol

I will throw my name in as another sucker who bought Ep. 1 figures. Ugh, what a waste of time/money. They are still sitting in a box in my basement. Every so often I will list the whole box on ebay as a lot and never get anyone to take it. :lol

I started giving it all to my kids, they love opening it, then it goes into the toy bin

Back