What is the best console gaming series of al time?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're all insane. Or else criminally uninformed.

86528-1-1.jpg

Halo? Are you serious? Halo is not the greatest anything. It's a series of decent shooters that is inferior to a long list of titles in its own genre. The only thing it does well is multiplayer, and even then games like counter-strike do it better.

As for Metal Gear, I actually like to play my games, not watch them.

Just for being wildly known and starting the gaming craze in the 80s, the answer is Mario. As the years go on, Mario games have oversaturated the video game market. EVERY other Nintendo game is a Mario game, which is kinda sad.

As for the best gaming SERIES for actual GAMING, I would have to say Zelda. While not in as many games, the Zelda games that there are are phenomenal and great to play.

Cool thread...I always liked the Zelda games, and the retrospectives at Gametrailers tried to connect them with a chronology that only made me want to play them all again. Zelda and Mario both blew my mind, as Atari games seemed so static back in the day, to see the screen scroll with the character was amazing. The sense of exploration and fun in Zelda is unmatched, but they seem to be a bit of a grind these days searching for heart pieces.

If Nintendo would only localize the other two Mother games (Earthbound prequel and sequel) then I would probably pick this as my favorite series of all time over Zelda!

Halo? Are you serious? Halo is not the greatest anything. It's a series of decent shooters that is inferior to a long list of titles in its own genre. The only thing it does well is multiplayer, and even then games like counter-strike do it better.

Man, call it what you want. But I've sampled nearly all of them and nothing, nothing gave me the level of immersion that I got from the Halo games. Even the stunted sequel that was Halo 2 had this ability to flow seamlessly between gameplay and cutscenes in a way that revolutionized the whole gaming experience for me.

No other game that I've sampled has come close to achieving that level of streamlined storytelling. All of the others feature abrupt interruptions between gameplay and cutscene that are just downright distracting, and, quite simply, ruin the illusion.

Graphics? Sure, they were lacking. Even in Halo 3, which was dumbed down in order to make up for all that was going on onscreen, as well as to maintain the overall look between all three games.

Overpowering supercharged uberweapons with no basis in reality? Also lacking. But the weapons we got felt genuine. No eye-rolling here while firing off the resident BFG and exploding everything on the map. Halo never had a BFG. Halo never wanted a BFG. And Halo never needed one.

The only other game whose sequel I look forward to nearly as much has to be the sequel to Donkey Kong 64. For that, even I would buy a Wii. :rock

Back