What is it about the Predator character in general that attracts people?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it was. cameron was on a flight with the late great stan winston, and he showed cameron some early conceptual art for the predator. cameron remarked that he'd always wanted to see a creature with mandibles. and winston subsequently incorporated that into the predator's design.

It's amazing what ideas you can come up with while sitting in first class on a long trip with a good buzz ;) However, I never drink and fly ;)

The honor thing was mostly introduced in the sequel; the first one I tend to see like one of those old british game hunters. Going on safari, cocky bastards, only going after the most impressive kills with superior firepower...And you know what? I love that aspect of the character. He's a badass villian who doesn't play fair and laughs in your face, and when you piss him off, he's coming after you personally to destroy you, no matter what it takes.

I agree that it makes sense and that everything is fitting, I'm making no argument against that. What I don't understand, and what I'm wondering about, is how people can watch the original film and come away talking about the Predator having 'skills' and an 'honor code' and being a 'badass' and so forth. I watch that film and I see the exact opposite. How can one call the Predator honorable and skilled when its entire method/sport consists of it standing invisible in a tree and shooting people from afar?

The honor thing was mostly introduced in the sequel; the first one I tend to see like one of those old british game hunters. Going on safari, cocky bastards, only going after the most impressive kills with superior firepower.

as Ra88 astutely pointed out, the honour aspect was more apparent in the sequel. but it was evident in the first film too.

honour: the predator doesn't kill unarmed prey. he doesn't kill pregnant females, or sick and diseased beings. simple as that. if u still can't see that as a code of honour, then i'm puzzled.

skills: it's quite simple really. the predator is incredibly agile and quick. this is regardless of his equipment and weaponry. he is also extremely cunning, and can outsmart prey who try to ambush him. those are the fundamental skills of a hunter.

badass: he just is. visually and attitudinally. :cool

as for the so-called "cheating" via his advanced weaponry and cloaking... how is that cheating? all hunters use some form of equipment to hunt. in many cases, it gives them an unfair advantage over their prey. but to me that's an indictment of the whole "sport" of hunting, not the predator as a character/concept. many folks view hunting as a barbaric and cruel endeavor, and the predator is very consistent with that. but it is what it is.

having said that, i can't imagine it would be easy for ANYONE to hunt and kill a team of highly-trained, elite professional soldiers in peak physical condition. one would need to be significantly equipped for a task like that. in the predator's case, he had "optic prism body armour", "plasmacasters" and "multi-spectrum imaging" at his disposal. i would say that it's kinda unfair but not outrightly "cheating".

Everything like others have said here.. and it's just an indrecible creation of stan winston and his team.. the story about the predator, they did it again in predator 2.. just amazing!

Hey Predatortje, any luck on acquiring that Bad Blood kit? I've seen you on the Hunters Lair looking for one. Why does Narin have to make some of his kits so hard to get....Lol

I'm currently waiting for Predastore to get that Aqua Hunter kit back into stock.

Just a very cool design, looked great with the helmet on and that whole body armour and equipment thang, like a nasty Boba Fett crossed with a Gladiator... and then when the mask came off.
One ugly mother***er!

For me, the one scene that sold me was when he jumps in front of Arnold in P1 and stands up to take off his mask. When he roars in Arnold's face, it was badass!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/h-M4htgqNak&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/h-M4htgqNak&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/h-M4htgqNak&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/h-M4htgqNak&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Priceless!!! :lol Never seen that clip before, but is awesome!:rotfl:lol:rotfl

About the predator:

Man, this is the most impresive character design made by The Stan Wiston team! :google
Best sci fi character created in the 80,s

Love the weapons, the ckoak, the shoulder plasma cannon, the wrist blades.dreadlocks, the armour,bio helmet...
He is a Hunter and uses stealth to approach his targets ........however executes his victims with absolute brutality

I was just a child (10 or 11 years) when I saw the predator movie for the first time, and when he removed the mask in the battle against Arnold I said: " What the hell is that":horror..This a moment I will never forget :rolleyes:

That part actually is starting to piss me off a bit, especially with the Wolf Predator. Come on! He wasn't even hunting humans. He was after that big PredAlien. Did he have to die by nuke? And he was an old vet who obviously survived loads of encounters just to be stopped by a bomb. That's like Kirk meeting his fate after countless battles by falling off of the scaffolding.

Yeah, he was getting his ass handed to him by the PredAlien, but Wolf should have won, taken the _____es head off, made it out of town just in time, and flown off barely able to stand up. Wolf should still be alive somewhere out there.
agreed. that movie was a big waste of such a unique predator.

oh, and uh, i like predators because they... look... um... cool.

but aliens are better. so, there.

I just LOVE the Predators design and that's why I have so many HT ones. To be honest, I hate the human hunting aspect. While it was fine for the first movie, I want to see the Predator devoloped beyond that.

Hunting humans seems so beneath them for such a stronger race. It's like rednecks getting a posse together to hunt some junior high kids. Then their p*ssies about it and not only camoflage themselves but bring nukes in case they lose??? It's time to see some more honerable ones in their natural setting and not just cletus and the gang.

I am sure Predators will be good, but I don't think it's going to do more that perpetuate the Cletus mentality. :monkey2

Back