What is it about the Predator character in general that attracts people?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wondered the same thing. The predators never seem to win any battles, ultimately. They always die at the end of a movie.

That part actually is starting to piss me off a bit, especially with the Wolf Predator. Come on! He wasn't even hunting humans. He was after that big PredAlien. Did he have to die by nuke? And he was an old vet who obviously survived loads of encounters just to be stopped by a bomb. That's like Kirk meeting his fate after countless battles by falling off of the scaffolding.

Yeah, he was getting his ass handed to him by the PredAlien, but Wolf should have won, taken the _____es head off, made it out of town just in time, and flown off barely able to stand up. Wolf should still be alive somewhere out there.

Time to get rid of the girlfriend, it sounds like. What's age got to do with it? These aren't toys, despite the name. These are icon replicas.

The Predator, even though I know it's a guy in a suit, just becomes a real character on screen, and it has lots of character. It's not just a costume, or a special effect. Though fiction, the world of Predator has become totally real, even more so than Star Wars, because it exists on our planet, in our galaxy. And they react to stress, they feel, they fear, they want to survive, they desire a thrill to make life worth living, they have their own rules. Predator was probably the first 'monster' to really have a soul that was communicated beautiful.

I wonder what Predator would have been like without Kevin Peter Hall giving it life from the inside. Oh wait, AVP, that's what it would have been like.

Yeah, tell me about it. She does that all the time till I tell her how much they're worth. She stops complaining after that.

I totally agree with your thought on the Predator, Kevin gave that creature life, I wish he was still alive to give us the performance "Predators" needs.

R.I.P Kevin, you the Pred:monkey3

Its the dreads.

It's this.

Forget the advanced weaponry and mad fighting skills.

With the dreads, you know he means business...Lol

Actually, I think everything about the pred is pretty damn cool.

One of my favorite things is that...sound they make....

I don't know how you'd describe it. Kind of like a rattling cooing sound. :confused: ... :D

Anyone know what that sound is?

That part actually is starting to piss me off a bit, especially with the Wolf Predator. Come on! He wasn't even hunting humans. He was after that big PredAlien. Did he have to die by nuke? And he was an old vet who obviously survived loads of encounters just to be stopped by a bomb. That's like Kirk meeting his fate after countless battles by falling off of the scaffolding.

Yeah, he was getting his ass handed to him by the PredAlien, but Wolf should have won, taken the _____es head off, made it out of town just in time, and flown off barely able to stand up. Wolf should still be alive somewhere out there.

Couldn't agree more with you as always Nathan. I would have loved to see an ending where Wolf kills Chet at a super dramatic final battle, the bomb gets dropped (which kills ALL of the humans, no one escapes!) and then Wolf's semi damaged ship decloaking in orbit. We get to see Wolf go into some hibernation chamber to heal and laughs as the cylinder closes. Oh how awesome would that be! :banana

It's this.

Forget the advanced weaponry and mad fighting skills.

With the dreads, you know he means business...Lol

Actually, I think everything about the pred is pretty damn cool.

One of my favorite things is that...sound they make....

I don't know how you'd describe it. Kind of like a rattling cooing sound. :confused: ... :D

Anyone know what that sound is?

Dude i have been trying to make that sound for like ever but its like a low throat sound i cant explain it.

The Wolf deserved to die for ruining the Aliens forever. I have never seen a more fanboyish movie in my life.

The Predator is a perfect mix of Sci-fi and Horror. He brings the technology and imagination of a popular Sci-Fi character matched with the brutality of a horror character. He's the ultimate hunter. best of all, he is a collector like all of us, he wants his prized trophies. He doesn't waste his time with lesser opponents, he hunts the worthiest of adversaries, while dismissing challenges from children (with plastic guns) and pregnant women (he has a coniscious...unlike 99.9% of sci-fi monsters...an alien that is human like...hmmm). The Predator has a wide variety of tools/weapons that make him a very cool character to root for. Starting invisibility, to his thermo-vision, on to his helmet, shoulder cannon, gauntlets, smart weapon, spear, healing kit and net gun...ect...he is perfectly equiped for long and short range combat.

The Predator is very intelegent and adapts to his surrondings. A perfect example of this can be found in P2 in the meat factory. The humans rig the facility to work against the Predators thermo vision and the Predator realizes what they were trying to do, adaptiing to his surrondings and ultimately claiming his prizes. I also love how the Predator ALWAYS stalks his prey...similar to a lion or any other large predator for that matter. He carefully watches the his prey and at the right time he strikes and claims his trophy un-touched...the mark of a seasoned hunter/warrior.

Best of all is his design. A humanoid with rasta dreads, crab like mandibles made him a truly unique character...and i will never forget the first time i saw him remove his mask. I WAS SHOCKED at what i saw...NOTHING LIKE IT. the neon blood is another nice touch.

THE PREDATOR is the ULTIMATE WARRIOR, challenging the best of the best and settling for nothing less. He is my favotire character of all time, that's why i'm soo vocal about the bastardization of the Predator with the recent film releases. It truly upsets me when the have a character that is capable of soo much on screen (like the Hulk) and the they producers and directors give us crap. I truly hope R-Rod's PREDATORS gets the franchise back on track.

Arnold and Stan Winston helped...a little :)

Dude i have been trying to make that sound for like ever but its like a low throat sound i cant explain it.

Trivia - IIRC, those vocals were provided by Peter Cullen, better known as the voice of Optimus Prime.

Anyway, back on track; IMO, the Predator is actually more 'heroic' than most horror/monster characters. The basis of its design is a heroic archetype, the rastafarian warrior - look at some of Winston's early sketches. In the films, the Predators seem to have a Mongol-esque code of honour, rather than being amoral killers. The upshot is that the Predators end up being characters rather than just monsters.

If the first movie wasn't so bad ass, I wouldn't give 2 craps about the Predator. But it was, so I do. He was awesome, and therefore I see everything he was (his look, attitude, weapons, etc.) through rose-tinted glasses.

All the sequels and AvP films are basically fan fiction to me. No different from the Predator vs. Batman comics or whatever.

The fact that he hunts down A&&holes and rips their spines out... I think that's it for me...

I thought that it was pretty obvious that the reason he blew himself up was so that he left little to no trace of his presence behind, but whatever.

Yeah, that was my thought on it as well... sure some sense of an honorable death, but also helps to erase the evidence that he was ever there.

Lot of interesting thoughts on why people like the Predator so much. I know just from a visual standpoint the Predator is a very cool and intimidating creature design. And the idea that he's like a human hunter, but taken up a few notches.

Humans wear camoflauge and use scents to hide their presence; Predators can be invisible. We have guns, bow and arrows, etc... Predator has a whole crazy arsenal that fits on his back. We collect trophies, so does he.

Trivia - IIRC, those vocals were provided by Peter Cullen, better known as the voice of Optimus Prime.

Anyway, back on track; IMO, the Predator is actually more 'heroic' than most horror/monster characters. The basis of its design is a heroic archetype, the rastafarian warrior - look at some of Winston's early sketches. In the films, the Predators seem to have a Mongol-esque code of honour, rather than being amoral killers. The upshot is that the Predators end up being characters rather than just monsters.

Wow, I actually didn't know that! How awesome!.

I'm able to make the sound, it tokk me a couple weeks to get the hang of it, oddly enough I was watching Aliens:banana

Back