What is it about the Predator character in general that attracts people?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great question. I even ask myself this sometimes...I think that for me its part aesthetic, the sleek streamline look of the bio helmet and the complex, animal-like facial design that lies underneath...its the gear and weapons, its the mystique of its origins. What was so great about the first Predator is that it slowly introduces the character, and by the time the movie is over, you know SO much about it without having to be told. You realize that he is a bad ass, you realize that he is there to hunt, you realize that it is a creature of honor and follows a strict code. You also realize that even though this one dies, that there are many more out there ready to replace his presence, and they could quite possibly be more incredible. I think it was a perfect storm of concept, design, production and era.
CIMG1692.jpg

Last edited:
You realize that he is a bad ass, you realize that he is there to hunt, you realize that it is a creature of honor and follows a strict code.

I don't know about this talk of Predator 'honor' and being a 'badass' and whatnot. Predators to me seem no more 'badass' than when a cat takes on a mouse.

I like the film and the character but I've never understood the talk of them as respectable/noble creatures. The Predator setting off the self-destruct sequence at the end of the first film seems the same as me playing chess and seeing that I was going to lose and so knocking all the pieces on the ground so that no one wins. Not to mention that to begin with he's hunting humans while invisible and with a laser sight... Many of their actions are childish and scornful like this, it seems to me. I've never seen this discussed before though, but I'm sure I can't be the first to have come to this conclusion. Does anyone have some link to discussion about this sort of thing? I'd like to read more.

Character design. It's one of the best ever!
Without it the movie would just be another action flick where muscular men shout a lot and fire big guns. You wanna talk about sexual...

He's just a cool creature that has lots of cool weapons and he hunts armed people.

I do think he has got some code of practice or 'honor' within certain boundaries. I mean hes not a genocidal killer. He does not kill unarmed people and also women. Whenever a person is unarmed and he does need to confront them he does take his equipment off and fight them hand to hand so i think there are certain clan codes that predators do follow. This demonstrates an evolved sense of thinking to some extent or consience despite the fact that they do kill for sport. I guess it would be analogous to a human hunter who kills animals but does not target the mother or small offspring. I guess thats why people like the character. There is some level of humanity in them despite being so alien looking. Something we can relate to say versus the cold hearted nature of a character like alien.

In terms of them setting off their detonation sequence yeah i guess this is selfish and not playing by the rules but then again we are not privy to the predator rulebook for survival and their guidelines so don't know what it allows for or doesn't. In general they only seem to set off the timed sequence when they are about to die or seriously injured against worthy foes who were previously armed and are about to kill them, so in that skewed logic it could be seen as justified. I mean the countdown sequence alerts and still gives people a chance to escape so its not all bad.

I mean you can't compare predators to alien for example who have no sense of duty only to themselves and pretty much kill anyone including children, women and animals.

Last edited:
i believe the self destruct sequence is their own version of "noble" death(i.e. seppuku/harakiri) with a tinge of "no man gets left behind" principle. some preds hunt alone, and nobody around to carry them(as a bodybag) if they fall...:monkey3

I thought that it was pretty obvious that the reason he blew himself up was so that he left little to no trace of his presence behind, but whatever.

It's all sexual for me.
I believe Flosi has hit the nail on the head. It's not any of that other stuff. An alien being is interesting in anyone's language. It's like looking at your partners genitalia, you are forever intrigued.

Points to note are: The Pred has a skimpy loin cloth on. Wears barely any clothes but particularly likes to dress in mesh. Sexy in everyone's language. His feet aren't particularly large but they are thick, and he has big hands, another subtle yet tell tale sign. He has muscular thighs, a sign of sexual capability and he has a small tight butt.

I agree with the notion of the slow reveal in P1...by the time that net trap goes off and Dillon sees him clearly for the first time, we are as much in awe as the characters. The filmmakers then followed this up with a real sense of danger and menacing threat, with ominous moments like the invisible shape running toward camera, Billy's scream, and Dutch being chased with the Predator inches behind. McTiernan and Stan Winston gave cinema a monster with real personality and ferocity that people really responded to and the new film in July shows its enduring power in the public's mind.

And its weapons are cool.

She also wants mee to get rid of them, says I'm 'too old':google

Time to get rid of the girlfriend, it sounds like. What's age got to do with it? These aren't toys, despite the name. These are icon replicas.

The Predator, even though I know it's a guy in a suit, just becomes a real character on screen, and it has lots of character. It's not just a costume, or a special effect. Though fiction, the world of Predator has become totally real, even more so than Star Wars, because it exists on our planet, in our galaxy. And they react to stress, they feel, they fear, they want to survive, they desire a thrill to make life worth living, they have their own rules. Predator was probably the first 'monster' to really have a soul that was communicated beautiful.

I wonder what Predator would have been like without Kevin Peter Hall giving it life from the inside. Oh wait, AVP, that's what it would have been like.

Back