What do you think about SIDESHOW hiding the Edition Size until the release ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think a Customer should know the Edition Size in the moment he place an order?

• YES!The Customer has the right to know the E.Size in the moment he place the order

Votes: 78 67.8%
  • NO!I dont care if of the piece I am ordering, they will produce 500,1500 pcs. or will be an Open Ed.

Votes: 37 32.2%

• Total voters
Honestly, people need to stop looking at collectibles as investments. The ES only matters if you're looking at resale value.

:exactly:, listen to Kit Fisto, he is a Jedi, they are wise :lecture

Thinking that what you are collecting one day will worth more is implicit of collecting "things".

I collect things to have them, that is what collecting is.

No one has an f'ing clue how many Hot Toys figures are made and they seem to do well on the secondary market.

Since this is collectible related i wonder why it was moved to non-collectible discussion :dunno

You must rub people the wrong way 8th wonder :lol

Some bias going on? What an insane thought, it's all about free speech!

Whoever moved it to the 'Non-Collectible discussion' obviously felt it belonged here because he considered Open Edition a Non-Collectible.

:dunno

People don't have a right to information. If Sideshow wanted to put up a picture and a price, that's their prerogative. Consumers don't have rights owed them by producers, other than to receive what they paid for. If you don't get what you wanted, you deserve a refund.

Wanting something is not the same as having a right to it.

couldnt care less about edition sizes.
i dont think i even notice most of the time...
people need to get over these numbers and stop thinking of collectables as a money maker......

If you support open editions then should go ahead and buy them, so that Sideshow realises this and set more open editions in the future.

They are already moving to the large and open edition size for many pieces like possibly Darth Maul LSF, Wolverine LSF, Iron Man LSF, Darth Vader 1:1 Bust, Warmachine 1:1 bust.

If they register good sales on these that surpass set edition size numbers they will probably have more open edition pieces.

So if you prefer open edition in future pieces, buy them.

Thing is most if their items now don't have "open" ES on them. Just stuff like the lsf pieces.

Thinking that what you are collecting one day will worth more is implicit of collecting "things".

The early grails of SSC were a BIG boost to their sales.
Seeing that a PF was available at 200 USD was then sold on the secondary market for 1000 and more did their part to expand their fanbase.

Then the ES of every piece growth, and the prices instead of proportionally dropping... rose.

It make no sense...... if you produce MORE PIECES you should drop the prices.... not rise.

Let's look at reasons price increase. One price of oil. It's needed to poroduce the items, it's needed to ship then half way around the world. Second the prices of labor have been rising in china, so it cost more to produce each item. Last is the unknown factor, price of the license. You think companies like Marvel, LFL are lowering the license fees. No one knew that the Marvel statues at the price point and size would sell so well. Now that we have seen they do well you don't think Marvel wants a bigger piece of the pie? Also other companies might start to bid for same licenses making they cost more to retain.

Hope your not a business major.

No one has an f'ing clue how many Hot Toys figures are made and they seem to do well on the secondary market.

HT were doing well on the secondary market. It's not really the case anymore with the re-releases and over saturation. Superman, Sparrow, and a ton of others can be had for under retail, whereas this was never the case in the past.

Now loo like in 3 seconds I will dismantle your theories.

Let's look at reasons price increase. One price of oil. It's needed to poroduce the items, it's needed to ship then half way around the world.

Oil´s price? Really?

Look here:

oil.jpg

In the last 6 month the price of the oil rose from 80 to 106 USD but in 2010/2011 the price dropped from 112 to 80.
Do you have seen Sideshow drop any price in 2010/2011 because the oil´s price dropped ??
But basically in the last 2 years the oil´s price is fluctuating between the same range.

Oil´s price to rise prices it´s always an excuse, when the price of the oil rise, they have an excuse to rise the prices, when the price of the oil drop, the prices stay the same (and they cash the difference)

Look also what happened in 2008..... the price of the oil dropped from 140 to 40 USD/barrel ..... do you have seen any price decdrease?
I DON´T.

Consider also that the ACTUAL price (a 40 foot container from China to US cost about 2000 USD) of transport by ship from China to US of a Legendary Scale is about 11 Dollars.
Even if the price of the oil double, it will be 20 Dollars, I don´t see a big incidence on the final cost.

Last is the unknown factor, price of the license. You think companies like Marvel, LFL are lowering the license fees. No one knew that the Marvel statues at the price point and size would sell so well. Now that we have seen they do well you don't think Marvel wants a bigger piece of the pie? Also other companies might start to bid for same licenses making they cost more to retain.

PRICES OF THE LICENSES???
Really??
So explain me why the SIDESHOW ORIGINALS that have NOT LICENSE COST,
are price tagged the same as licensed products???

VLADE THE IMPALER 330 USD

The Templar's Verdict 350 USD
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300034&ref=learnmore_300034

Here they don´t have to pay licenses...who cash the difference???

Last edited:
If you support open editions then should go ahead and buy them, so that Sideshow realises this and set more open editions in the future.

They are already moving to the large and open edition size for many pieces like possibly Darth Maul LSF, Wolverine LSF, Iron Man LSF, Darth Vader 1:1 Bust, Warmachine 1:1 bust.

If they register good sales on these that surpass set edition size numbers they will probably have more open edition pieces.

So if you prefer open edition in future pieces, buy them.

Exactly,
Who says that don´t care about the value of his collection if one day he would decide to sell it is just a liar.

Now loo like in 3 seconds I will dismantle your theories.

Oil´s price? Really?

Look here:

oil.jpg

In the last 6 month the price of the oil rose from 80 to 106 USD but in 2010/2011 the price dropped from 112 to 80.
Do you have seen Sideshow drop any price in 2010/2011 because the oil´s price dropped ??

Oil´s price to rise prices it´s always an excuse, when the price of the oil rise, they have an excuse to rise the prices, when the price of the oil drop, the prices stay the same (and they cash the difference)

Look also what happened in 2008..... the price of the oil dropped from 140 to 40 USD/barrel ..... do you have seen any price decdrease?
I DON´T.

Consider also that the ACTUAL price (a 40 foot container from China to US cost about 2000 USD) of transport by ship from China to US of a Legendary Scale is about 11 Dollars.
Even if the price of the oil double, it will be 20 Dollars, I don´t see a big incidence on the final cost.

PRICES OF THE LICENSES???
Really??
So explain me why the SIDESHOW ORIGINALS that have NOT LICENSE COST,
are price tagged the same as licensed products???

VLADE THE IMPALER 330 USD

The Templar's Verdict 350 USD
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300034&ref=learnmore_300034

Here they don´t have to pay licenses...who cash the difference???
Well the prices didnt increase the same % that oil did so maybe they took more of a hit then you know and now that its lower they are recouping those loses.

Licenses are not cheap, I have seen the cost of some licenses, maybe not what they charge SS but what the charge other companies and well you would be shocked to see what they cost. I can pretty much guarantee they have higher margin items to help cover the cost of much lower margin items.

Really I never understand the number of people who seem to always think SS is ripping them off. Here is how it works you like you , you like the price you buy it. You dont like the price you don't buy it, not sit behind a computer a _____ about it. So I guess once this thread dies we can start the clock waiting for the same thread to start again in a month or two.:slap

Well the prices didnt increase the same % that oil did so maybe they took more of a hit then you know and now that its lower they are recouping those loses.

Licenses are not cheap, I have seen the cost of some licenses, maybe not what they charge SS but what the charge other companies and well you would be shocked to see what they cost. I can pretty much guarantee they have higher margin items to help cover the cost of much lower margin items.

Really I never understand the number of people who seem to always think SS is ripping them off. Here is how it works you like you , you like the price you buy it. You dont like the price you don't buy it, not sit behind a computer a _____ about it. So I guess once this thread dies we can start the clock waiting for the same thread to start again in a month or two.:slap

The oil is just a little ridiculous component of the price,
stop saying that if the oil rise 20% the final price of collectibles will rise 20%.

Do you know how much cost a pound of the "precious" cold cast resin used to made statues? ONE DOLLAR.

Do you know how much cost the shipping for a premium format from China to US? THREE DOLLARS....

Do you know how much cost a pound of the "precious" cold cast resin used to made statues? ONE DOLLAR.

Do you know how much cost the shipping for a premium format from China to US? THREE DOLLARS....

This 8th Wonder dude sounds smart. When he starts a collectibles company, imma buy up all his $20 PF's.

sideshow is evil remember? :panic: :lol

HT were doing well on the secondary market. It's not really the case anymore with the re-releases, lack of variety and over saturation. Superman, Sparrow, and a ton of others can be had for under retail, whereas this was never the case in the past.

:goodpost:

This 8th Wonder dude sounds smart. When he starts a collectibles company, imma buy up all his $20 PF's.

:mwaha :lol :lol

Back