What do you think about SIDESHOW hiding the Edition Size until the release ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think a Customer should know the Edition Size in the moment he place an order?

• YES!The Customer has the right to know the E.Size in the moment he place the order

Votes: 78 67.8%
  • NO!I dont care if of the piece I am ordering, they will produce 500,1500 pcs. or will be an Open Ed.

Votes: 37 32.2%

• Total voters
I didn't vote because I don't like either choice offered. I wish the ES was listed but as I work in retail all my life I understand why it isn't. I would prefer to know if it is going to be an OE or not but other than that I don't really care. I want to know if its OE because I don't have to pay a NRD right away because I know it will be available later. I buy the items because I like them but I prefer they have an ES so that they don't lose their value as much as an OE obviously would.

Exactly,
being an OE may happens to ANY piece.
Think about the Darth Vader Lifesize bust and the PF stormtrooper....
My opinion is that SS should list from BEGINNING how many piece they are going to produce,
and NOT produce based upon the preorders....

"to be decided" is only reasonable if a company is simply waiting for all the preorders to come through so that they can finalise the number of pieces they are going to manufacture.

However, it is not okay to put "tbd" if the company is still deciding whether it is going to be "limited edition" or an "open edition".

There is a big difference between a huge edition size and an open edition.

Customers should get all the necessary information when they put non-refundable money down.

With NRD it's fair to disclose the ES to customers.

Without NRD, the customer can still cancel when the information is released so that seems fine to me.

Since these are high end expensive limited edition mass produced collectibles and we are paying a premium for their 'limited' appeal, that should be the norm. jmo.

"to be decided" is only reasonable if a company is simply waiting for all the preorders to come through so that they can finalise the number of pieces they are going to manufacture.

However, it is not okay to put "tbd" if the company is still deciding whether it is going to be "limited edition" or an "open edition".

There is a big difference between a huge edition size and an open edition.

The Open Edition by now is a "surprise" you can have on EVERY piece you preorder.
Think about the Darth Vader lifesize bust,
think about how "happy" is now who has bought it 2 years ago and now he see it reproduced forever https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=2973&ref=preview_page

1200 dollars are not peanuts.....

Sideshow has the freedom to produce the edition sizes they want, but I have the right as consumer to know it IN THE MOMENT I PLACE THE ORDER ( Since they ask for a non refundable deposit ) not the day of the release.

What about the "legendary" Scale??
Of legendary they have only the price,
look the Darth Maul, to be released in 3 months and still they don´t tell the ES, or if it will be Open Edition.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=36173&sku=400074

But they want 400 Dollars UPFRONT, just to preorder it.

I think this is not a serious way to treat your Customers.

The Open Edition by now is a "surprise" you can have on EVERY piece you preorder.
Think about the Darth Vader lifesize bust,
think about how "happy" is now who has bought it 2 years ago and now he see it reproduced forever https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=2973&ref=preview_page

1200 dollars are not peanuts.....

Sideshow has the freedom to produce the edition sizes they want, but I have the right as consumer to know it IN THE MOMENT I PLACE THE ORDER ( Since they ask for a non refundable deposit ) not the day of the release.

What about the "legendary" Scale??
Of legendary they have only the price,
look the Darth Maul, to be released in 3 months and still they don´t tell the ES, or if it will be Open Edition.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=36173&sku=400074

But they want 400 Dollars UPFRONT, just to preorder it.

I think this is not a serious way to treat your Customers.

All LSF will be Open Edition, which I really really hate. I can undersatnd the high price, but I never understand why Sideshow put open ES. I believe they could sell more LSF if they put ES.

Not making fun here, just,...isn't like and want kind of the same thing? :)
I was unsure how to word it... :p

More like if i went into the product page and i saw the number id be happy as i have the information. But going into the product page the edition number is not something i look at because mostly for me its

pictures
cost
specs

(In that order)

The only time i would be bothered about Edition number is if i was Selling on the second hand market. And that is only because i do not want to make much of a loss. Where as the general idea of people wanting to know the edition number is so they can try and work out how much money they will make from the rarity or to hold its value. Obviously if i bought something id like it to hold value but again its such a small factor to me in buying stuff.

I do not think buying an item based on how it will sell is a good foot to start off on. Infact is a pretty minor reason. I could say that the Sideshow chopper predator mask is limited to 500 and you cannot give them away. But the sideshow Wolf Predator mask is 1000 and they are like gold dust. At the end of the day the Product makes its own value over time. Not a number.

I like to collect certain brands (i.e. Predator/Resident evil) I dont like to buy a collectible because its a collectible. But if what i do buy is a collectible then its a happy coincidence.

Last edited:
everytime i see one or more sideshow optimus prime show up on ebay for almost double the original retail, i say more power to open ES, i mean why buy something if ur only really interested in making money
i like the fact LSf line is open ES cos it means only those who intend to display it get it, if u trust sideshows product and their quality , get it, otherwise move along
I also prefer TBD on the premium formats and other lines, again it keeps those flippers and greedy one away.. and gives everyone a chance who wants a chance to get it,instead of spending 100$ or more on evilbay, those who spend those 100$ extra or more on ebay are sideshows real customers not the ones who like to make a quick buck by ordering 2 or more from sideshow direct because they have the means to..
i think sideshow know what exactly they are doing here and have absolutely no problems with it,
price increase ??no problems as long as im happy with it.so open and TBD gives me time to ponder whether to get it instead of making a rash decision just to buy cos it might not be available later..

<<Collect to collect what you want and like, not because of an edition size.>>

Obviously you're gonna collect what you like. But you're not just buying a toy from Toys R Us for $14.99. As a collector paying hundreds of $$, knowing the edition size is a must to know how valuable the piece might become. Perhaps you're on the fence about it and the edition size makes a difference. Perhaps you're buying it solely to resell at a later time. If you're like me, one day you might decide to sell a piece to make more room or due to a loss of interest on a piece.... whatever.

The bottom line is, there is no reason to keep the edition size a mystery to the buyer; unless you want to lure buyers in and then produce thousands of editions of something at a hefty price and then laugh all the way to the bank. What buyer wants that?! I like to think that what I own is a little bit special and not as common as muck.

I'd much rather own one of 150 than one of 5,000.

I applaud HCG for declaring the edition size of each and every piece they produce! That's how it's done.:clap

Last edited:
I would like to know the edition size to see if I can flip the product in the future. I need to make other means of money to support my collection addiction. And low editions and flipping is where it all begins. SS should support this.

But in the end, you just own one... so why does it matter?... :dunno

I hope you are joking.....
..... otherwise this would be the lamer answer I have ever heard from a collector.

Since the man started to COLLECT "anything" from stamps to coins the only "matter" that counted was THE RARITY.

It is in the human being nature to possess what others can´t.

It is "nice" to see that since the topic started to be "uncomfortable" for "someone" it has been moved (I would say hiddend) in the most remote part of the FORUM.

Ahahhahahah this people is incredible

I hope you are joking.....
..... otherwise this would be the lamer answer I have ever heard from a collector.

Since the man started to COLLECT "anything" from stamps to coins the only "matter" that counted was THE RARITY.

It is in the human being nature to possess what others can´t.

does it also include buying 2 or more exclusives and selling it the day its released for a good profit.. who are sideshows real customers , the ones who buy to flip, the ones who like to keep one in their collection to just appreciate the product or are there more types
one thing for sure is Sideshow has grown into a much bigger company in the last couple of years than the days of Doom pf and cap pf.its growth has invariably resulted in coming of new collectors some genuine, some just to flip, some buy 2 or more just to support the hobby.(these most probably include the ones who just buy up everything sideshow releases and and then in a couple of years get tired of it and want to sell to fund future releases)
as for me , being an international customer i pay at least 1/3rd more than what a customer in US pays for an item , and flipping isnt easy either as you wouldnt even break even ..so in my case i have to be very choosy and select the ones i absolutely must have..
Now the problem is i cant make a decision the day it goes up for pre order, i would certainly like to see more pictures , opinion, maybe in hand pic before coming to a decision.
so the delayed TBD on the premium formats and open LSF works absolutely fine for me and certainly i think other international customers, otherwise , flippers would certainly buy up the lot and put up on ebay for triple the original cost.
im quite happy with sideshows polices as their target should be customers who value their craftsmanship and quality and not someone who intends to make money from their products,I know some of u will counter argue that sideshow has a lot of unsold inventory..and that will harm them, i think its actually good as new collectors join every month and will happy to order it, eventually everything sells out..just that some lot are impatient to make a quick buck

It is "nice" to see that since the topic started to be "uncomfortable" for "someone" it has been moved (I would say hiddend) in the most remote part of the FORUM.

Ahahhahahah this people is incredible

Since this is collectible related i wonder why it was moved to non-collectible discussion :dunno

You must rub people the wrong way 8th wonder :lol

Back