What do you really think about the Grey Hulk experiment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think about the secret Grey Hulk ultra-exclusive?

• I got one and the method it was offered was fine

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • I got one, but I think a lottery would be more fair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I got one, but it should have been in the newsletter

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I DIDN'T get one but the method it was offered was fine

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I DIDN'T get one, a lottery would be more fair

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I DIDNT' get one, it should have been in the newsletter

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • They should NEVER have something so limited

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
Call it a sense of adventure or whatever I don't think things like that should be listed in the newsletter. If they did everybody that don't even collect the marvel pieces would of been there and most if any at all Marvel fans would of not ended up with the piece.

Like it was said the link wasn't hidden when you clicked on the page it was pretty easy to see actually.

I don't think the Marvel vs line is ready for the Priority pre orders yet look at the Green exclusive its still up for pre order.

I didn't get one but I think it was a fair. :peace

It was a nice little bonus for people who listened to the podcast. No doubt this will make a lot of buzz for SS's podcast.

IMO it would be unfair if this was the only Hulk/Spidey SS exclusive piece available. The green Hulk exclusive is still available so collectors can still buy that version. Also, it was only a color variation. It's only a differnt-colored Hulk people. If the Tony Stark head, that was available with the SS ex Ironman, was made only available in an exclusive edition like the grey Hulk than that would be wrong. A color variation isn't that big of a deal IMO. Now if the Hulk had been a different sculpt like in his Mr. Fixit outfit, than that would of been wrong. That would be a completely different statue.

I do think though that an edition size of 50 is a little too small. 100 would of been better.

For the record, I have no interest in this piece at all. I saw the grey Hulk link on the order page just to see what all the hoopla was all about but I didn't even order one. Statues don't do nothing for me. If it was a 1/4 or 1/6 figure than I'd be interested.

I remember during Spooktacular, seeing the winner's page and finding out that there had been a contest to win a Han Solo PF Exclusive figure. They had not announced it, just "hidden" it (the new code word for placing something in plain sight but not announcing it on the home page) on Han's product page. I missed it, and didn't have the chance to enter. (I have since gotten lucky through the wait list--but that ain't free!!)

I swore to myself that if I ever had the chance to spread the news of a great opportunity with the folks on this board, that I would do so. Here's how serious I was: Expecting the newsletter to come up with the Hulk preorder, I opened a second window and prepared a new thread stating that it was up for viewing, and let it sit in the background. The moment it went live, I went back to the page and clicked the button to post it for everybody's benefit, then quickly went and read the newsletter for myself. Immediately after ordering my Hulk, I went and created another thread telling people to hurry up and get their Hulk ordered.

I did what I could to let people know. I am sorry that the small number meant that not everybody could get one.

I probably haven't been grateful enough to tomandshell and pitchin for posting about this, I would never have logged in on time if they hadn't.

But the one thing I can't get around that is if it was in the newsletter that a ultra-exclusive item would be up for pre-order that far more people JUST interested in flipping would get it. I don't see how anyone can deny this fact.

I do think that what they did was fair - but what would have been MORE fair would be to not display the ES until it had sold out. I have to admit that I might not have gotten it myself if I had thought that it might be in equal supply as the green exclusive.

Darklord Dave said:
I probably haven't been grateful enough to tomandshell and pitchin for posting about this, I would never have logged in on time if they hadn't.

But the one thing I can't get around that is if it was in the newsletter that a ultra-exclusive item would be up for pre-order that far more people JUST interested in flipping would get it. I don't see how anyone can deny this fact.

I do think that what they did was fair - but what would have been MORE fair would be to not display the ES until it had sold out. I have to admit that I might not have gotten it myself if I had thought that it might be in equal supply as the green exclusive.

Makes a lotta sense..If they havent displayed the ES the people who really wanted grey might have had more of a chance..If they put in on the newsletter the "speculators" would have been all over it..they just shouldn't have shown the ES..:peace

Darklord Dave said:

I'd have to agree with this view 100%

SS is always listening to what the customers suggest and bringing out new product by the bucketload (lately its been by the dumpertruckload).

They will NEVER be able to please all collectors, members and newsletter subscribers. OK, so this particular item went up for order at around 3pm which meant a lot of EU customers missed out on it. Thats just the way things go. I will be interested to see how many of these DO appear on EBAY when the time comes:naughty

I ordered the Green Ex version for my friend's son, so I was not to bothered about the grey version. Right, I had better put a vote in now i've said my bit.:peace

Darklord Dave said:

I can't fault Sideshow's intentions as far as keeping flippers away, but they
have already failed at that, as there are several people who ordered the
Grey Hulk who are willing to flip it right now for certain high-end pieces.

I'm NOT knocking them, as I'm one who needs those "flippers" for me to
even have a shot at getting a Grey Hulk, as I missed out on it. I just
wanted to point that out though - there are flippers around, and they
are also boardmembers, and they are also good long-time collectors of
many Sideshow pieces. Nothing wrong with it at all - all good people.

JS :) :peace

It's good to see that both of the poll options of that DID and DIDN'T get one right now are leading the votes...

Shows consistency, that it was fine the way SS offered this piece.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I'm a big Hulk fan and Spider-Man, and I have all of the comics that McFarlane did on both comics (as well as Batman, and some Spawn)...

That said, if I can trade this piece away to get a couple other pieces I really want, then yes, I will probably do it.

My opinion, I ordered one before it sold out, it's mine and I am free to do with it what I want. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but, if anyone that wants to blast me or anyone else for that matter of trading it or selling it, is sour grapes...and needs to get over it. I'm not a scalper, I'm a collector. Lord knows how much I spent on my Sam & Bill a couple months ago...so, if I can trade this for something I really want. I'll do it. Otherwise, it'll just stay in my collection....

:peace

JSAuctionService said:
...there are flippers around, and they
are also boardmembers, and they are also good long-time collectors of
many Sideshow pieces. Nothing wrong with it at all - all good people.
JS :) :peace

I think this has to be one of the best and most accurate/truthful comments I have read since I have joined this board.:bow

With a lot of SS products, I too have had to rely on 'flippers' in the past and will no doubt have to in the future. There are genuine collectors who buy stuff. Then, when something better comes along that they must have, they sometimes have to sell in order to buy.
None of us have a 'blank chequebook' with which to make continuous SS purchases, so sometimes 'flipping' is the only way to get that 'Must have item'.

I didn't even know about this. Sideshow better not do anything like this to the Star Wars or LotR line are there will be thousands of unhappy people. :google

I dont know 250 is pretty low in the Star Wars universe, so thats already been done. And MR also does some pretty low numbers in Star Wars (just that they will go back and try to milk you more for later it seems.) And lets not forget about Gentle Giant and some of the exclsuives they do.

Difference between them and Sideshow? Sideshow gives everyone a chance to get one.

I think if Sideshow sets a standard time for the newsletter to be available, then I would not have a problem with this method, but just because it was available the last couple of weeks at the same time, doesn't mean we should have expected it at that time. If everyone, everywhere can login and read the newsletter at the same exact time, then everyone would have a fair chance at something like this. This is the only way it would ever be fair without making everyone sit for possibly hours on end refreshing and waiting for the newsletter.

Dave -

Thanks for the poll! It will be interesting to see the results. The newsletter has been available for the past few weeks on Thursday Evenings PST. Please expect this to be the time frame. Unfortunately at this time, we can not post it at a specific time as the newsletter creation process is quite complex, relying on many different departments at Sideshow Collectibles, which effects when we can have the newsletter prepared for posting.

As we stated in an earlier post, we feel that the method of pre-ordering the Grey Hulk was done in the best manner possible. Those interested in the Hulk vs Spiderman piece and prepared to order it first were offered the option of the grey hulk on a first come, first served basis. While the time receipt of the newsletter may have not been convenient for certain time zones, it is impossible to make the newsletter available at a time that would be convenient for everyone.

If you continue to receive your newsletter in an untimely manner, then you can take advantage of our new option whch is to pick up the newsletter online. We ususally post a heads up to newsletter members on our homepage, when the newsletter goes live online.

We often improve our systems based on feedback and look forward to the suggestions of collectors!

Best,
Chicky

Chicky I think you guys have actually made the Newsletter one of the hottest things SS offers. haha

Chicky said:
Dave -

Thanks for the poll! It will be interesting to see the results. The newsletter has been available for the past few weeks on Thursday Evenings PST. Please expect this to be the time frame. Unfortunately at this time, we can not post it at a specific time as the newsletter creation process is quite complex, relying on many different departments at Sideshow Collectibles, which effects when we can have the newsletter prepared for posting.

As we stated in an earlier post, we feel that the method of pre-ordering the Grey Hulk was done in the best manner possible. Those interested in the Hulk vs Spiderman piece and prepared to order it first were offered the option of the grey hulk on a first come, first served basis. While the time receipt of the newsletter may have not been convenient for certain time zones, it is impossible to make the newsletter available at a time that would be convenient for everyone.

If you continue to receive your newsletter in an untimely manner, then you can take advantage of our new option whch is to pick up the newsletter online. We ususally post a heads up to newsletter members on our homepage, when the newsletter goes live online.

We often improve our systems based on feedback and look forward to the suggestions of collectors!

Best,
Chicky

PST??? Again i think you need to give us a time in stone. BTW why the change of time?

Thats on the other end of the US! That would be crazy to base your times on another time zone.:rolleyes:

Viking28 said:
Thats on the other end of the US! That would be crazy to base your times on another time zone.:rolleyes:

Nah. 7.00pm is 12.00am here. I can stay up that late on Thursday.:D :rolleyes:

Back