What do you really think about the Grey Hulk experiment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think about the secret Grey Hulk ultra-exclusive?

• I got one and the method it was offered was fine

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • I got one, but I think a lottery would be more fair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I got one, but it should have been in the newsletter

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I DIDN'T get one but the method it was offered was fine

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I DIDN'T get one, a lottery would be more fair

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I DIDNT' get one, it should have been in the newsletter

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • They should NEVER have something so limited

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
Bullseye said:
Nah. 7.00pm is 12.00am here. I can stay up that late on Thursday.:D :rolleyes:

What about the cycles of the moon?? Or the planets "When Venus is in line with the God of War ye will recieve the newsletter, but be weary the son of Zeus is near. Or is he????"

Viking28 said:
What about the cycles of the moon?? Or the planets "When Venus is in line with the God of War ye will recieve the newsletter, but be weary the son of Zeus is near. Or is he????"

I've talked with Aries, hes promised not to cause any trouble on Thursday.:D

"The son of Zeus may make a limited appearence, when the moon is low and the sea is calm and the North WIND BLOWS THROUGH THE FOREST TREES WITH WRAITH FOR THEY KNOW THE TIME IS SHORT.............

Last edited:
Well, I voted for "didn't get one, should have been in the newsletter," but that isn't exactly how I wanted to vote. I don't really have any problem with the fact that the Gray Hulk was kept a secret for first-come, first-served orders. But not knowing when the pre-order would be up on the site meant that I guessed a couple of hours late. I just wish that the time would have been clearly communicated.

Viking28 said:
"The son of Zeus may make a limited appearence, when the moon is low and the sea is calm and the North WIND BLOWS THROUGH THE FOREST TREES WITH WRAITH FOR THEY KNOW THE TIME IS SHORT............."

Zeus has alot of wind.:rolleyes:

Bullseye said:
PST??? Again i think you need to give us a time in stone. BTW why the change of time?

As I mentioned in my post, unfortunaelty we can not do that. If for some reason we are running against time because of a shift in schedule, information or lack of pictures, we might breach a set time, which would cause more negative feedback. To my knowledge there aren't many companies which guarantee a time windo much less a specific time.

My initial post to this thread discussed that the time shift was based upon collector feedback. Although we would like all of our collectors to receive the information at the same time, realistically this is impossible. Therefore we post based upon a reasonable PST time for a majority of collectors as well as for our in-house staff.

Some board members have stated that the forum board is more reliable than the newsletter, "so why offer a newsletter?" I can not quite fathom the logic behind this statement unless it was made by a new newsletter member. However, this has been added to a list of reviewed collector feedback. Although, I am not sure of the wisdom of pre-ordering using the "force" and feel the majority of the newsletter members do find value in it.

This particular Grey paint variant was not an experiment nor meant as a news grabber. It was a unique offer for newsletter members, whose link was released to newsletter members first. Our collectors continue to discuss the appropriate size of editions, which probably will never be resolved to everyones satisfaction. If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?

Should we have used a lottery system? Should we have based the offer on $ spent with us? We think both methods limit the collector's chance of obtaining an item this way, however we will watchfor feedback on these points as well!

Again,we appreciate the input and hope people will return to our originial thread so we can keep the feedback some what organized and easier to review!

Best,
Chicky

pitchin said:
Hidden sounds really hard to find...........it was a big banner at the left hand side of the green exc. product page
Hidden may have been the wrong word, obscure is more like it. An unknown exclusive just popping up at a unknown time with very few available sounds like a bad Idea to me whether it's a large link or not. It has been mentioned that not listing the addition size would've helped deter scalpers from buying the few that exist and I have to agree. However on this particular exclusive the number of the edition size was incredibly low and not showing the edition size wouldn't deter the few scalpers that would still place their order for an exclusive item, so the extremely low addition size (50 I've heard) is something I'm also strongly against.

Chicky said:
As I mentioned in my post, unfortunaelty we can not do that. If for some reason we are running against time because of a shift in schedule, information or lack of pictures, we might breach a set time, which would cause more negative feedback. To my knowledge there aren't many companies which guarantee a time windo much less a specific time.

My initial post to this thread discussed that the time shift was based upon collector feedback. Although we would like all of our collectors to receive the information at the same time, realistically this is impossible. Therefore we post based upon a reasonable PST time for a majority of collectors as well as for our in-house staff.

Some board members have stated that the forum board is more reliable than the newsletter so why offer a newsletter. I can not quite fathom the logic behind this statement unless it was made by a new newsletter member. However, since this was suggessted this has bene added to a list of reviewed collector feedback. Although, I am not sure of the wisdom of pre-ordering using the "force."

This particular Grey paint variant was not an experiment nor meant as a news grabber. It was a unique offer for newsletter members, whose link was released to newsletter members first. Our collectors continue to discuss the appropriate size of editions, which probably will never be resolved to everyones satisfaction. If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?

Should we have used a lottery system? Should we have based the offer on $ spent with us? We think both methods limit the collector's chance of obtaining an item this way, however we will watchfor feedback on these points as well!

Again,we appreciate the input and hope people will return to our originial thread so we can keep the feedback some what organized and easier to review!

Best,
Chicky

This is unfortunate as i would be willing to give SS $2000 up front at the begining of each year if they would guarantee me all the exclusives from the Marvel line with the exception of the Movie line. Its also going to be unfortunate as I will be in bed when this NL arrives and will most likely miss out on future exclusives. Would it not be possible to release for example 25 of the Grey Hulks at PST and a further 25 at EST?

I'm against the lottery system would rather know right away if I missed it or if I got it.

I think the way it went down was pretty much near perfect as it could be, and I for one like seeing the numbers first hand. Because your going to have people ordering every single peice now. There's a purple vesion and a pink I better get both and cancel the one that is higher in edition size.

I didn't get one but I'm OK with the way it was done with a hint in the podcast. Now that may be because it was a Marvel item and I'm not an overly huge fan. I'm sure if it was a Lord of the Rings item, I may have been more disappointed at not getting one but until that happens, I guess I won't know.

Chicky said:
Best,
Chicky

I respectfully disagree that it was not a news grabber; ES50 is too ludicrously small to think otherwise.

Anyhow, onto the future; I support the line irregardless of the secondary prices, but I do care about the ES as it helps me make my decision on whether I should just purchase off ebay...

If you set your ES where the secondary values are lower than your retail value...is that really a Limited Edtion product? Consider that when you check the secondary market values of WvS and the Sentinels vs X-men (after it ships). Consider how the # of the regular edition will effect the desirability of your "exclusives." Consider that when you set the ES of the exclusive Green Hulk edition. Consider that when you set the ES of an exclusive like GH and the POSSIBILITY that guys like Bullseye--customers who have spent $$$'s on your marvel line--could be left hanging while others who might not have ANY interest in the marvel line pick it up for flipping. Everything might turn out fine; there could be an explosion of interest come Comic-con, but just consider those points when you think of the phrase "Limited Edition products."

And to Josh, why are you interjecting yourself into this discussion when you admitted you bought "0" Marvel stuff and don't consider it a priority? What I find hilarious is you're making snide comments to Bullseye...a PAYING customer.

Last edited:
Won't it be funny if over 50 say "I got one, and the ordering method was fine..":D i think there are some on this board who may be saying they have one...and don't...but, I suppose it's not the first, and won't be the last time that happens.:naughty

Chicky said:

That's all fine, saying that....But, why then did you (sideshow) produce near on 10,000 morgul Lords, and Saurons....That took AGES to sell-out??:confused: I believe these pieces are called "Limited Editions" aren't they??....I believe in making limited editions, don't get me wrong...It is what a big part of collecting is all about...but, an ES of 50, in this market is WAY TOO SMALL...and an edition size of 9,500 was WAY TOO BIG...After a few years in the market now, you think that you guys would have a better handle on this type of thing....Just my opinion...

Last edited:
It's been said before, but the speculators in the LotR line did drive up the initial edition sizes. If people hadn't been counting on buying one and funding the first piece by selling the second, then the edition sizes wouldn't have climbed so far.

But they are obviously moving away from this with reasonable edition sizes on other items. Whether this means 500 instead of 300 on the exclusive Doom or 50 for a grey Hulk that no one would have missed if it hadn't been produced, I think they do have a handle on the collectible market.

I think the point that Darth is trying to get across is that Sideshow is holding up the GH and saying "If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?", but not taking into account the "TBA sign" for the exclusive that has been up for almost a week now, and in all likelihood, will be up for another 2 weeks. The regular edition ES might not be "sell-out" for another 2 months.

Anyone want to care to guess how big the combined LE edition size of the Hulk vs Spidey will be? Dave, we need a contest/poll!

daelith said:
And to Josh, why are you interjecting yourself into this discussion when you admitted you bought "0" Marvel stuff and don't consider it a priority? What I find hilarious is you're making snide comments to Bullseye...a PAYING customer.

I've bought "0" Marvel items but I've bought lots and lots of SW and LOTR pieces. So SS has plenty of my money for me to chirp in about how they do things or treat customers. What I find funny is Bullseye keeps thinking SS needs to bend to him and his needs because he is in the EU. That's his main complain it seems. Not so much that he doesn't have the item but that he lives in the EU and the time SS posts the newsletter which is the best for them and the vast majority of their collectors isn't good for him. :D

daelith said:
I think the point that Darth is trying to get across is that Sideshow is holding up the GH and saying "If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?", but not taking into account the "TBA sign" for the exclusive that has been up for almost a week now, and in all likelihood, will be up for another 2 weeks. The regular edition ES might not be "sell-out" for another 2 months.

Anyone want to care to guess how big the combined LE edition size of the Hulk vs Spidey will be? Dave, we need a contest/poll!

I sincerely hope Sideshow reveals the edition size for the Green Exclusive in their next newsletter. A whole week of feedback on this one piece should have told them at least that much.

The best thing to do is to put a cap on the Green Exclusive early and keep the edition size as small as possible. They just posted it on their main site yesterday so that gives them time to add a few more pieces to what has been ordered already, round off the edition size to a nice round number and let it sell out.

jlcmsu said:
Bullseye SS isn't gonna bend to your every need. Something you need to learn ASAP.:rolleyes:

They haven't bent to any of my needs jlcmsu. You have a problem with me? You seem to be easily upset. I'm quite happy (with the exception of the posting of the NL with Sideshow). I find their product to be top notch. Maybe you need to be alittle more patient with me.:D

Back