What are your favorite war movies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW...
Only one person said The Dirty Dozen?
That movie was awesome.
My dads favorite movie, and since he loved it so much my twin brother enjoys it too.
:chew
-That's definitely way up on my list, for the characters and specifically Lee Marvin (who is probably my favorite bad-ass actor from that period of time)
-The Bridge On The River Kwai is a total classic that I love
-Dr. Strangelove is one I'm shocked I don't see on more lists here
-And if we're talking Cold War, then Stripes and the Spy Who Came In from the Cold are on my list
-The Great Escape
-But my favorite war movie of all has to be the Americanization of Emily. Flat out brilliant.

Re: SCHINDLER'S LIST, I think my Dad said it best. After we saw the movie theatrically in 1993 he told me, "That was the best movie I have ever seen. And I never want to see it again."
I felt that way about Requiem for a Dream, but some movies about the horrors of the Holocaust like Schindler's List are also that way to me.

Shindler's List sucks me in every time.

It's not a fun watch...but it's something that I can't start, and not stop. Because the ending is so uplifting, that stopping before it, just leaves you depressed.

Great thread.

Best war movie ever is Aliens "this time it's war"

But seriously. As for modern military...

Judgment at Nuremberg (probably one of my favorites)
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
Downfall
Enemy at the Gates
Conspiracy
Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Great Escape
Dirty Dozen
Guns of Navarone

to name a few...

Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Enemy at the Gates
The Hurt Locker
Braveheart
The Patriot
Gettysburg
Thirteen Days
The Unit (not a movie, but a hell of a TV show)

SnakeDoc

In no particular order:

Black Hawk Down
Kelly's Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Saving Private Ryan
Mr. Roberts
Glory
Gettysburg/Gods and Generals (kind of think of them as the same movie)
Das Boot
Band of Brothers

The only one that I haven't seen on here yet (surprisingly) and like is Inglourious Basterds. Everything else has already been mentioned.

Born On The 4th Of July is one of my favourites.

One of Tom Cruise's best films to date IMO, I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet.

The Great escape...All Quiet on the Western Front...The Dirty Dozen...Kelly's Heroes...Where Eagles Dare...Guns of Navarone...Force 10 from Navarone...The Longest Day...A bridge too far...Apocalypse Now...The Deer Hunter...Uncommon Valor(best POW film)...Full Metal Jacket...We were Soldiers...Cross of Iron...Tora Tora Tora...Sands of Iwo Jima...Battle of the Bulge...Stalingrad...Das Boot...Letters from Iwo Jima...Flags of our Fathers...Bridge over the River Kwai...Zulu...The Wild Geese(best Mercenary film)...Gettysburg...Gods and Generals...Schindlers List...Enemy at the Gates...The Raid....Saving Private Ryan...Black Hawk Down...Kingdom of Heaven...Troy...The Wind and the Lion...The Hill...ALL ARE GREAT MUST SEES...there are more I'm sure but for now I wrote what I remembered at the moment

Last edited:
starship troopers
independence day
Universal Soldier
aliens
28 weeks later
dog soldiers
predator

Last edited:
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Jon Favreau may not be directing Iron Man 3, but as the director of the first two entries, he apparently remains “very involved,” and approves wholeheartedly of the direction it’s going in. “I think it’s a really smart way to go,” he said of Marvel Studios’ choice to get filmmaker Shane Black on board.

After Avengers, you want to start with something really bold and inspired, and if you’ve ever seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang you’ve seen that when [Robert Downey Jr.] and Shane get together, interesting and unexpected things happen, and I’m happy to see that it’s taking a bit of a tonal shift from The Avengers and it’s going to be something completely different and exciting, and I’m happy to be a part of it.

Favreau described the tone as “a little more offbeat” than previous installments, and revealed that the new film “delves deeper into what makes Tony Stark tick, and plays on the unexpected original unpredictable quality of the character that I think fans gravitate to.” [THR]

Back