What are the WORST Christmas presents you've ever received?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get way more out of giving too. It's rare that someone will be attuned enough to get me something that I love for the gift alone (and not just the gesture). It actually happened this year though. Utterly blown away. Amazing gift and I'm still in shock.

I do too and I work hard on my gifts.

Though I'm grateful that people get me things, regifting me broken things or used and dirty things makes me feel bad simply because it makes me feel that this person doesn't care for me at all. I remember one where it was a big, ugly santa that was broke and reglued, and not well.

I forgot about this bad gift: As part of our Secret Santa one year, we were suppose to do a white elephant gift. Well, the lady I got gave me a big, dirty white blob of melted plastic that her son gave her. He worked in a factory and the machine he used would spew out this long thin string of hot plastic that would pile up on the floor. He gave it to her as a joke and I ended up with it. It was greasy, dirty and smelly. :monkey4

I forgot about this bad gift: As part of our Secret Santa one year, we were suppose to do a white elephant gift. Well, the lady I got gave me a big, dirty white blob of melted plastic that her son gave her. He worked in a factory and the machine he used would spew out this long thin string of hot plastic that would pile up on the floor. He gave it to her as a joke and I ended up with it. It was greasy, dirty and smelly. :monkey4

That's horrible. Cheap is one thing. Trash is another.

That's horrible. Cheap is one thing. Trash is another.

I just laughed it off but the others gave her a really bad time about it. It was bad too that I opened it at a resturaunt. She couldn't understand what the big deal was because it was a white elephant gift. I guess her idea of white elephant and ours was different.

I just laughed it off but the others gave her a really bad time about it. It was bad too that I opened it at a resturaunt. She couldn't understand what the big deal was because it was a white elephant gift. I guess her idea of white elephant and ours was different.

what is white elefant?

neve heard of this, what it means?

Series finale episode of Everybody Love Raymond on DVD (just the 1 episode).
And I don't watch Everybody Loves Raymond.

My wife’s friend is a terrible gift-giver, but I can’t creally fault her. She kinda tries, but most of the time her gifts are very generic--like office Christmas party exchange gifts. She’s a tiny bit better with the two of us because she knows my wife likes audiobooks so she always gets her one (but the books are never anything my wife likse and she ends up exhcanging them). It’s a little more puzzling because she’s known my wife for maybe 25 years but still doesn’t know what kind of books she likes. For me, for some reason she’s gotten it in her head that I like puzzles, so she gets me all sorts of different puzzle things like Rubik’s Cube and Tangram puzzles. She’s also given me generic shaving creams and lotions kind of things.

We saw a hint of a behind-the-scenes gift buying session from her when many years ago we met up with her and decided to rent a video (from Blockbuster!). It was the middle of the summer, and while we were there, she said she was going to pick up some videos to give to her family for Christmas! So a few red flags went up: 1. it was summer--way too early to pick up Christmas presents. 2. They were USED videos! 3. She was picking them out without much thought--“oh, my brother likes action movies. This looks action-y. My mom likes comedies. This looks funny”, etc.

But the real discovery came when we went to lunch with her family to celebrate her birthday. It was a mortifying event to behold. One of ther presents was underwear, which she showed everyone and even handed it around! At a restaurant in public! But the truly most bizzarre thing was that her mother gave her a fancy Gucci wallet. That sounds nice, but the story, as she told us and everyone there, was that someone years ago had given this fancy wallet to her mother. The daughter always loved it and always coveted it, but the mom kept it for herself. Not only that, but the mom didn’t even use it! It was still brand new with tags. Years and years of her daughter coveting this wallet didn’t sway the mom from simply giving it to her daughter, especially since the mom would never use it. All that fuss over something that the mom didn’t spend a penny on. It was a re-gift for pete’s sake! And it’s not like they’re poor or anything. They do just fine. Now if it had been us or my wife’s or my family, the wallet would have gone straight to whoever wanted it. No question, no big deal. “I just got this fancy wallet but I don’t think I’ll ever use it. Oh, you want it? All yours.” And we’re not exactly the Rockefellers either.

So we now know that my wife’s friend was simply never taught what good gift giving could and should be. It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive. It just has to show some heartfelt thought. Obviously bad gift-giving runs in her family so we just have a nice chuckle over what she decides to give us, and we feel more at ease about what to get her since we know it will certainly be better (or at least more thoughtful) than anything she’ll get from her family!

I agree most of the fun is giving. But if you’re really not even going to bother putting much thought into it, just ask what they want or look on people’s Amazon wish list! Or even nothing would be fine too. Really, that’s better than getting something that obviously shows no thought or care.

My mom get's used scrap-booking supplies and cook books every year from my Aunt and Uncle. Now my Uncle (moms only sibling) and Aunt make north of $100,000 a year. They did away with birthdays and other holidays from all of us (of course they go to friends birthdays and parties) and only do gifts at Christmas. They spend less than $50 on each (close to nothing for my mom). Now we get them nice stuff, but the aunt always says snide comments. "I already have one." "Oh, I don't like the color." (it matches the color of there kitchen???, must not like her kitchen then) Or she stares blankly at a sweater my grandma hand made and took months on. After being told what it was... she says "Umm... Thanks" and throws it to the floor and never mentions it again. She likes Hello Kitty, we get her a expensive charm of Hello Kitty (she wears charms a lot), "oh.... okay." I think they can afford to buy better presents and should be more kind in there reactions. Simply put... my Aunt is a *****.

I hate it more when you buy something nice for someone and they treat it like it is dirt or don't care about the effort more so than getting a bad gift.

When I was in 5th grade we did a Christmas exchange for the boys in our class. We were all really into sports trading cards at the time and that's what we all bought each other...except the mom of the boy who drew my name. I got a label maker. Seriously, who buys a 10 year old a label maker?

I still have my gap cologne from when I was thirteen ...

Best present was a framed pic of my friend and I at his wedding

He elected me as the best man

It was a rough year... So it meant a lot

worst gift ever....a pair of socks.

a pair of pink girl socks. :pow

I still have my gap cologne from when I was thirteen ...

is that G by Gap by any chance?
i miss that shat. hard to track as been discontinued now. :[

My mom get's used scrap-booking supplies and cook books every year from my Aunt and Uncle. Now my Uncle (moms only sibling) and Aunt make north of $100,000 a year. They did away with birthdays and other holidays from all of us (of course they go to friends birthdays and parties) and only do gifts at Christmas. They spend less than $50 on each (close to nothing for my mom). Now we get them nice stuff, but the aunt always says snide comments. "I already have one." "Oh, I don't like the color." (it matches the color of there kitchen???, must not like her kitchen then) Or she stares blankly at a sweater my grandma hand made and took months on. After being told what it was... she says "Umm... Thanks" and throws it to the floor and never mentions it again. She likes Hello Kitty, we get her a expensive charm of Hello Kitty (she wears charms a lot), "oh.... okay." I think they can afford to buy better presents and should be more kind in there reactions. Simply put... my Aunt is a *****.

I hate it more when you buy something nice for someone and they treat it like it is dirt or don't care about the effort more so than getting a bad gift.

Rich people problems :lol

worst gift ever....a pair of socks.

a pair of pink girl socks. :pow

is that G by Gap by any chance?
i miss that shat. hard to track as been discontinued now. :[

I'll take a picture of it next time I visit my parents

Never minded what I received from parents honestly I love socks for xmas

It's usually thoughtless gifts from non considerate distant relatives that make me wonder, are we even related??

Back