Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good on initial inspection before I take the wrap off. Still trying to figure out the best way to get him out of the damn box:lol

That was the scary bit of the unboxing. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere to grab onto except the wings. I grabbed mine by the wings in the section nearest the base and pulled him out as carefully but quickly as possible. It held, thankfully though I will never lift it like that again. They should have had little grooves in the styrofoam to get your hands under the base to life it out properly.

That was the scary bit of the unboxing. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere to grab onto except the wings. I grabbed mine by the wings in the section nearest the base and pulled him out as carefully but quickly as possible. It held, thankfully though I will never lift it like that again. They should have had little grooves in the styrofoam to get your hands under the base to life it out properly.

Yea, no kidding or something under the base to grab unto to lift it. Seems like they did not design it very well. Get it intact shipped from overseas and then grab the wrong thing and have a nice break right in your living room.

Doesn't have to be all that scary. Grab him under the body and tail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436338208.776470.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436338218.628487.jpg

Btw, I am SO happy with this guy. Although this weird destructive side of me wants to snap off all the brittle pieces. I think it's because I wish he was real.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436338420.182699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436338429.634146.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436338437.170959.jpg

On the flip side, since I got him, I'm less impressed with the new Balrog. I think it's the way I have him displayed where I am looking down at him.

The new Balrog looks great too. Having both, would you say they are equally detailed/impressive pieces or do you have a favorite of the two?

Also, should be able to dig out some grip space from the Styrofoam with a knife or so rather then risky grabs.

Smaug is definitely more detailed to my eye. Balrog is a little flat under certain light.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436382603.774190.jpg

And yes SMAUG is sitting on a mini fridge because I have nowhere else to put him right now :)

Having smashed one up recently, I can confirm that Smaug is very sturdy. There are steel wires running through all four limbs. Three wires at the hand and wing area and the tail area is solid polystone.

I had to use a reciprocating saw to cut off the tail area as the hammer wasn't really making progress there and I didn't want pieces flying off at high speed everywhere. I had to hammer with more force than I thought because the whole Smaug is solid, only part of the pile of gold has a cavity.

Agree...always thought this and the Balrog will take it's time selling out....maybe in 2016...maybe...and agree totally lots of more wants/competition will be shown at SDCC to slow down Smaug/Rog sales further :) ....plus the fact the trilogy is over isn't helping either

Has there been any mention on new Weta pieces at SDCC?

This will take longer to sell out now....definitely with that new Weta SDCC line up...I love the MT, The new Azog w/Armour, and The Dain on Pig piece...Elrond and the Uruk Hai guy looks great too...gotta see which I get first and what I think will sell out first...LOTR/Hobbit aint what it used to be...plus the films now are over and so much other stuff out there it boggles the mind...wish I was a richer man like in the past...I'm making only half of what I was income wise...2009 was my last great income year plus my bro is not doing well at all, Cancer survivor but will never be the same both physically and money wise and I do help out :( decisions decisions...Weta truly has been great...I love the 1/6 scale...Weta and Tweeterhead has alone proved that 1/6 can be just as good as any 1/4 piece

Just finished unpacking...weta did a great job all around...I do wish it had an ES of 500 to 1000 ...I bet about 1/2 have sold IMHO. My es# was close to 1000. This will take a while to sell out, perhaps 2016...Love the piece

I've been warming to this piece over time, and the last batches seems to have paintjobs on par with the sculpt. And with this review from the Weta forum I'm officially sold. Ordered.

I've been warming to this piece over time, and the last batches seems to have paintjobs on par with the sculpt. And with this review from the Weta forum I'm officially sold. Ordered.

Congrats, it really is a great piece. The only other item I have that can rival this in detail is Barad Dûr. I can't wait to get MT, :drool

Back