Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been warming to this piece over time, and the last batches seems to have paintjobs on par with the sculpt. And with this review from the Weta forum I'm officially sold. Ordered.

On mine, which is from the latest batch the paint is pretty much exactly like the picture on the box. Maybe slightly less vibrant but no doubt those pictures have had so.e colour correction done to them. If I took a picture of mine and used the enhance image option on my phone it would look exactly the same. The gold hoard isn't quite ad well painted ad the box but it's still very nice. I don't think anyone buying from these latest batches would be disappointed with the statue at all.

I must be taking crazy pills because the new bust has gotten me more interested in getting this as a companion. And I can't even think of a spot where he would fit on display :lol

BBTS has it in stock now for $699 +$85 for shipping and weta has him for PO at $749 +$66 shipping plus the $75 in rewards points. Not sure when the next batch would be in stock at weta though and I've never ordered from them before.

Considering I think I'm 99.9% in on the Smaug bust as well, what would you guys do?

My other alternative would be to order the bust and just have the Smauglet be a companion piece if I don't end up splurging for this one.

I love this piece. The bust is awesome but there are no big, full sized dragon statues out there really. As a dragon fan and a Smaug fan I think it's a must.

Well, for the time I'm only thinking about two Smaug pieces, but the future may hold pieces I would like to order from them.

Question: How long after you are billed/shipped an order does it take for the weta bucks to convert and be applicable to a new order? Also, do you still earn weta bucks on an order that you are receiving a discount on/already using other weta points? Is it like sideshow's system?

You always get weta points on whatever you spend before shipping and taxes. The points are available immediately when the item ships.

I just traded a reg sideshow ww pf and a 1/5 pred ex statue for this guy, I get him tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Love my dragon... will be all time classic!

smaug1.jpg

one day I may touch the weta piece up...but for now no...painting up my Smaug model kit at the moment...gonna take some time to finish...got so much real life stuff going on

playing around some with the colors...still gotta sand/fill gaps on some of the body but wanted to do the head

It's gonna be slow..so damn busy with life...i like to practice with the colors..once I'm happy with the head and neck area(which I'm not quite there yet) the rest will be easy...all by hand/paint brush...will photo as I move along...but its gonna be slow...actually doing several paint jobs too...I want Smaugs skin to be Alligator like with a light satin finish...glossy but not too glossy

Still haven't continued this one...I have two other Smaug pieces I'm working on at the moment...should be finished with them in early Jan...A nice large sized Smaug bust 8 pce kit and the Games Workshop Smaug...will continue this piece by mid Jan and hopefully be done in Feb :)

Back