Statue Weta Rivendell Environment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it's a trade off no question, some will prefer the better details of the vinyl roof and some will prefer to be all polystone as a collector item such as myself. i dont think there is a right or wrong, just opinions. Same as the hot toys debate they have higher quality almost perfect paint since it's all mass produced molded plastic(except the head) vs hand painted ss statues but to me they will always be plastic toys...

The only sure negative is weta did not communicate this, given the way they hyped this piece with the individual bricks etc.. they should have mentioned the roof especially considering it's a departure from other environments.

Got both mine in just now. Neither have the joint/paint issues some of you have posted. I suppose I'm very lucky.

As for the "sticker"/laminate/vinyl issue: My roof covers are securely adfixed and the material (vinyl/laminate/plastic) is flat finished and not obvious that they are anything but painted. Honestly, if someone hadn't mentioned it, I probably would not have noted it (at least for a while, anyway).

Color-wise, it's not really as pink as some have stated (giving the impression maybe of the color of flamingoes? :D) but a dusky pale off-pink with greys intermingled. And gives off the muted "ashes of roses" tint.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this piece. For those who have waited for a report from some of us before committing and want to only believe the unfortunates who have gotten less than stellar pieces.....your loss.

...there is no way these roof tiles would have ever come out as painted. I do wish Weta would have told us to avoid the "sticker shock" (har, har) but I don't think it would have looked good painted to this level of detail. In fact I can say without any doubt that the complaints would be deafening given what China has been producing quality wise.
Very well said!!

I could not agree more--it simply wouldn't have been feasible to have hand painted all these tiles on all these roofs for all of thse units! I went back to look at photos of the prototype, I can see now that the prototype also is using these 'stickers' for the roof titles. As I said previously, there is a kind of relief--a texture, to the sticker material and it seems to my eyes that Weta went back and possibly dry-brushed or did something to bring this out more in their prototype model. I wonder if someone will try something like that with their own in-hand piece to see if that helps.

In any case, a fantastic piece from Weta--I'm sooo pleased!!

You know what, I change my mind. I think the issue with the roof is less the complexity of the paint scheme and more about having the little bumps/tiles come out well enough in casting to allow a painter to dry brush the colors in the pattern. If you look at the close-up I posted with the pencil you can see a base color and then the pinks applied in diamond shapes to raised bumps against that background. Now if you can get the 3D contrast in the polystone then a painter could dry brush the colors. It would look good but be a time consuming affair.

All those photos you took make it more of a Fantastic piece for me...If this was the perfect polystone tiled piece it would be 500 to 600 bucks easy...To get close to perfection on an elaborate piece such as this would be more costly and much more time consuming...Gratz to all who have this....I still wish this was strictly L/E....After what you said I might paint over the roof after making sure it's adhering right...hey I might do nothing to it...depends on what I get

Last edited:
Glad the pictures helped. I looked for peeling. I see spots that looked more like turned corners on a book page but this isn't peeling. They seem to have used some good adhesive and the cuts on the edges are darn near perfect. There are a few seams where roof lines join on buildings.

The mistake, if there is one, is Weta pushing the sculpt detail and not divulging the roof issue. In the end I think we have a better looking piece for it.

Now bring on Orthanc, impossible to muck up with paint and fit issues i think.

The wrench is really too much. Be careful opening the box because my wrench was sort of loose inside. If you don't know to look for it it could damage the statue or you if it falls. The wrench is packed on the opposite side as the art print.

PS: I love working from home :)

Got both mine in just now. Neither have the joint/paint issues some of you have posted. I suppose I'm very lucky.

As for the "sticker"/laminate/vinyl issue: My roof covers are securely adfixed and the material (vinyl/laminate/plastic) is flat finished and not obvious that they are anything but painted. Honestly, if someone hadn't mentioned it, I probably would not have noted it (at least for a while, anyway).

Color-wise, it's not really as pink as some have stated (giving the impression maybe of the color of flamingoes? :D) but a dusky pale off-pink with greys intermingled. And gives off the muted "ashes of roses" tint.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this piece. For those who have waited for a report from some of us before committing and want to only believe the unfortunates who have gotten less than stellar pieces.....your loss.

Glad to hear this - mine should be here today - assuming UPS doesn't show up while I'm at jujitsu with my kids.

In regards to the roof I will see what is loose or has the potential to be loose then add adhesive...Then check for paint applications and touch up if needed....third I will cover the roof in poly or some clear application...flat or semi mixed with flat...gotta look at the piece first...cant wait

I think you will also need to make some bricks to cover the gaps of some buildings.

I think you will also need to make some bricks to cover the gaps of some buildings.

piece of cake if it comes to that...I wont get mine till the next batch so in the meantime I'll enjoy the photo's and wait

The tower is missaligned, I didn´t notice it the first time, look at the entrance and the steps, the left pillar is off the base also.

B'Jesus that's picky! You have any idea how small that is? I can't even see anything wrong. Consider how big and complicated this was to put together, and it looks stunning! This is friggin Rivendell people! The only one we're ever gonna get!
People just gotta have something to moan about i suppose :dunno :slap

Number 29 is in the house!!! :clap Other than one building being slightly off center, mine looks amazing!!! :thud: This is one amazing environment...well done WETA!!! :bess:

And the end table I bought over the weekend works perfectly with it.

6473912967_c783e2cd8a.jpg

6473911835_cd6423e0fa.jpg

Opened up mine and damn what a beautiful piece. Everything looks great and I can't say how happy I am to add this to my collection.

The tower is missaligned, I didn´t notice it the first time, look at the entrance and the steps, the left pillar is off the base also.

LOL...I could totally understand If I was going to buy the property and live in there or if I was an ant...but otherwise...:dunno...Looks good to me

B'Jesus that's picky! You have any idea how small that is? I can't even see anything wrong. Consider how big and complicated this was to put together, and it looks stunning! This is friggin Rivendell people! The only one we're ever gonna get!
People just gotta have something to moan about i suppose :dunno :slap

Agreed.....

I can't quit going and looking at this. Can't wait to take pics and review it this weekend.

Sorry to see those pics Rage....I'm sure contacting Darren or Magnus will get you on the way to getting this sorted out.

Back