Statue Weta Orthanc Black Tower of Isengard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Weta Orthanc Pre-Ruin Environment

Ordered...first 400...great price...cannot believe it was less than 300

Cleared my temp files and was able to get one with ease, something to try if you are still having issues I suppose.

:yess: :hi5: :yess: :hi5:

Can now log in but still can't add to cart.

Checked my collection/order page and saw a picture of it there! Turns out I must have clicked "I Own This" once instead of preorder, because I had added it to my collection. I wish it was that easy.

At least it's still in stock. Hopefully I'm not the only one that can't add this to my cart.

Cleared my cache, too. Still no luck.

I gave up with IE and used firefox with no problems at all.
Others are reporting success with firefox as well.

i couldn't add to cart, i then tried a wired internet connection and prder place easy

Just ordered one on my freaking iPhone! IE and Firefox were useless on my laptop, but I attempted it on the phone and got an order in.

What an absolutely horrid 110 minutes. I hope they fix their site before I try to order something from them again.

After 1hr and 48 min of retrying on&off it finally placed! :yess: :blissy

And why is that awesome Sauron shirt only for NZ residents? :monkey2 Somebody want to order me one? :D

Ordered @ 6pm CST. Site worked w/out a problem for me.
Got in w/ "first 400". Kinda feels like getting an EX.
Bet these #'d ones will eventually end up being more sought after...

Ordered as well. Man, what am I doing.

My wallet blames Josh :lol

I don't have much use for the pin, but I don't think I'd ever buy an open edition/unnumbered collectible.

really?

Is that a common sentiment around here? Do you guys place that much on numbers? That you would never buy something that wasn't numbered?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I prefer smaller numbers when I get them, and I loved getting those. But since I know i'll never sell my stuff, and I'll hoard it like smaug in my cave until i die, i don't really care what number most of the stuff has. Nobody is really ever gonna see it when I have it on display, and I'm not gonna brag about it to anyone. So for me it doesn't matter.

But to say you'll never really buy an open edition collectible? Is there a reason behind that? Can't you just want to have it? It's beautiful. Are you just collecting for the value to sell it later?

I hope you don't take this as an attack. I'm very much just interested in that. I'm kinda isolated in my collector mentality, and it always interests me to hear how others collect!

Because this is an open edition later, i'm gonna just wait. It's cheaper than I thought, and wont be going anywhere, so I'll wait till I have the cash to blow on it, which is not now!

really?

Is that a common sentiment around here? Do you guys place that much on numbers? That you would never buy something that wasn't numbered?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I prefer smaller numbers when I get them, and I loved getting those. But since I know i'll never sell my stuff, and I'll hoard it like smaug in my cave until i die, i don't really care what number most of the stuff has. Nobody is really ever gonna see it when I have it on display, and I'm not gonna brag about it to anyone. So for me it doesn't matter.

But to say you'll never really buy an open edition collectible? Is there a reason behind that? Can't you just want to have it? It's beautiful. Are you just collecting for the value to sell it later?

I hope you don't take this as an attack. I'm very much just interested in that. I'm kinda isolated in my collector mentality, and it always interests me to hear how others collect!

Because this is an open edition later, i'm gonna just wait. It's cheaper than I thought, and wont be going anywhere, so I'll wait till I have the cash to blow on it, which is not now!

I could care less if its numbered or not. I could care less if the edition size is 40 or 40,000. I just like collecting what I like and how rare or hard to find the item is does not factor into what I collect and don't collect.

Actually, I would prefer if the edition size was 40,000. That would mean that tons of people are into LOTR collectibles and that the line will go on forever.

I prefer large or open editions because I want the secondary market value to remain as low as possilbe. If I were ever to break mine, it would be easier to replace something that is easily found.

I've never understood those who value a collectible more because it is rare and hard to find. Its almost as if they get a thrill out of having something that others are not able to have. That that adds to their enjoyment in some way. Don't understand it. Personally, I would like as many people as want it to be able to have it. The more the better.

Large ES on pieces mean lines die to be honest. At best you want demand with moderate edition sizes that's what guarantees a line to keep going.

To be honest it was the price point that sealed it for me. Being an open edition didn't factor that much to me. The fact that it is very affordable did.

It was between this and the snow troll. So unless the snow troll comes in at $300 or less (in which case I'd prob gt both), I'll be content with just this.

really?

Yes, part of the appeal of expensive collectibles for me is their limited nature. There is a level of intangible value for me in knowing that there are only a certain number in the world, and that I have one. Some people like having something rare, some don't care. Personally, I enjoy it.

I have been collecting for years, and as my interests change along with my available display space, there are always pieces that I will end up selling off after years of enjoyment. I never buy a collectible for the purpose of selling, but when and if it comes time to sell, I want to know that it will hold its value. When Gentle Giant started making 20,000 of each bust, they were worth ten bucks.

You don't have to be a flipper to want your investment to hold its value. That just seems like common sense to me in the world of hobbies, and the rest of life. Whenever possible, I don't want something to be worth less than I paid--and open editions can mean that the piece won't hold its value over time. (But not always.) If I can wait and get Orthanc for less next year, then I should wait. That also means that if I run Weta and make a living selling collectibles, I don't want my potential customers holding back and waiting--if something is rare, you get it quickly before it sells out. In the long run, it's better business to keep your editions under control and weigh demand carefully. I think that's a lesson GG learned--as they overproduced their pieces, the value vanished, busts were sitting on eBay unsold at half the original price, and collectors walked away. You need a healthy level of demand for your products in the long run, and so the supply needs to be carefully controlled so the desirability stays high on the market.

Back