Statue Weta Orthanc Black Tower of Isengard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Weta Orthanc Pre-Ruin Environment

wow!! great news! this is an awesome BUY!!! i wonder how its dimensions compare to the minas tirith and baraddur sculpts from what's that company's name... this looks insanely BAD! now to save up. after rivendell, no this...

I agree. I think this piece will only bring additional attention to the original and keep it from dropping in value too much. Sure, there may be some that will try to sell the original asap, in order to get as much as possible and then buy the new piece, but I think most will stay in their collectors' hands, regardless.

While I'm sure the original will take a bit of a hit, I have a feeling it won't be that great or for that long. To start with, the original is still the only 'for sale' sculpted collectible that was used in actual filming. Second, in order to have a large price drop, plenty of people would have to now list them all on ebay.

Hands up all those current owners that now hate there original Weta tower environment and want to sell it off at a dirt cheap price? (If you do, send me a PM :) )
I more see all current owners keeping the one they have and buying the new one. I mean lets face it, who doesn't want the set?

While I'm sure the original will take a bit of a hit, I have a feeling it won't be that great or for that long. To start with, the original is still the only 'for sale' sculpted collectible that was used in actual filming. Second, in order to have a large price drop, plenty of people would have to now list them all on ebay.

Hands up all those current owners that now hate there original Weta tower environment and want to sell it off at a dirt cheap price? (If you do, send me a PM :) )
I more see all current owners keeping the one they have and buying the new one. I mean lets face it, who doesn't want the set?

First off, the original Orthanc, and I mean the actual statue used in principle filming does not have a SSW label with an ES on the base and it's not in the possession of anyone that I know of. What the owners of the baby Orthanc environment have is a replica of a movie prop...no different than any of the replica swords produced by UC, the replica jewelry produced by Noble, etc....There is about as much intangible value to owning a movie prop replica as there is intangible value to one's personal family photo albums. In other words, outside a few select individuals the value outside the actual cost is meaningless. The only reason people bought Orthanc in the first place was because they liked it ...plain and simple. To say the baby Orthanc possesses some kind of unseen, unmeasureable value based on the fact it's a replica of a movie prop is no different than the nonsense that's been bandied about for year's concerning the SSW GTG statue. The arguement being there is some special meaning behind that statue because Ian McKellan actually sat down and posed for it. :cuckoo: Really? Well based on the fact that statue now holds the title for the worst GTG statue likeness ever I don't think that's something I'd want to be advertising. :lol And the fact it's a statue that can easily be had in the $30-50 range is a clear indication that no one gives a rat's ass that Ian McKellan posed for it. :lecture

Secondly, the only thing required for the baby Orthanc to drop significantly in value is for people to stop paying the huge secondary prices it now fetches....and here's a newsflash, 99% of the people in pursuit of an Orthanc just gave up looking for the original. Seriously, who in their right mind is going to pay $800-$1000 for a baby Orthanc when they could buy 3 or 4 daddy Orthanc's for the same price? :cuckoo: And if the value of the baby Orthanc isn't completely wiped out by this one, it will be once Weta completes the Two Towers 'set' by producing a Barad Dur on scale with the new Orthanc. And when it comes right down to it people are always going to gravitate towards items that feature outstanding quality and value.....and I'm afraid the baby Orthanc finishes a distant second in both those respects. :lecture

The trees are back! I can't stand the trees weta has been putting out recently, they look fake. In any case, I'll be getting this, I always wanted orthanc but too pricey. The original looks better but the new orthanc's size is the winner.

I like it, very nice. Orthanc was one of the few SSW pieces I never owned simply cos I didn't (and don't) like it so I won't be buying this, but it does look purdy with those trees at the bottom :rock
x :peace

The trees are back! I can't stand the trees weta has been putting out recently, they look fake. In any case, I'll be getting this, I always wanted orthanc but too pricey. The original looks better but the new orthanc's size is the winner.

I kinda like the trees and greenery, but i suppose you could pull'em all out and make a ruined orthanc.

I kinda like the trees and greenery, but i suppose you could pull'em all out and make a ruined orthanc.

I was thinking of doing that but the trees are strong, my Lord. Their roots go deep. :D

...Well based on the fact that statue now holds the title for the worst GTG statue likeness ever I don't think that's something I'd want to be advertising...

Well I still disagree with you on that point. Well sort of, it may be the worst Gandalf likeness of the statues and busts that are at least 1/6 scale that we have so far but I still don't think it's as bad as you make it seem. You can definitely see Ian McKellan in there. At least I can. :monkey3

Well I still disagree with you on that point. Well sort of, it may be the worst Gandalf likeness of the statues and busts that are at least 1/6 scale that we have so far but I still don't think it's as bad as you make it seem. You can definitely see Ian McKellan in there. At least I can. :monkey3

Well I was only referring to statues and didn't include the Gandalf vs Balrog sculpt for obvious reasons, but I'd take the likeness of the SS PF, maquette, and dio. [Saruman vs Gandalf] and the new Weta Gandalf over the one which McKellan posed for any day of the week....:dunno

So Alex (Fly&Fight) you getting one of these?

I thought of you as soon as I saw the picture of it, I remember you always wanted an Orthanc.

I'm not too worried about a Weta Barad-Dur being better than the Danbury Mint one, I had one a long time ago and it was nothing special.

Besides I'm sure you could sell it on eBay and get good money for it. I sold mine for $400 a couple years ago.

Hey bro! :duff If I could get $400 for mine, I'd sell it in a heartbeat...

And yes, IF the price is right, I'll get this one for sure.

I was thinking of doing that but the trees are strong, my Lord. Their roots go deep. :D

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl That was great!!!

I can't see this going for more than Rivendell. I would say 250 range

Being that it's an open edition, I sincerely hope it's less than that amount. Closer to the open edition Bag Ends price, if possible. (fool's hope on my part?...)

Nice, you really should get it. I know how much you love the environment pieces and this is one you always wanted.

Then when Weta does Barad-Dur you have the most essential environments in the trilogy.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

Thanks!! This this is masive and amazing! Must own piece IMO.

Don't know who all Read the article on TORn but we're going to have a naming competition for this piece. So you the fans will pick the name! :rock

That's awesome news about getting the fans in on the name. Will it be 'Pre-Ruin Orthanc'? Or 'Isengard'?...

Still have some details to work out but I'm excited to have the fans be a part of this.

Last edited:
Back