Statue Weta Orthanc Black Tower of Isengard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Weta Orthanc Pre-Ruin Environment

Looks Great! I don't regret missing out on the original any more. I agree that there is no way the original's value will not plummet. This new version blows the original out of the water IMO. It's definitely a great time to be a LOTR collector!

And I imagine the inevitable Barad Dur environment will be comparable size-wise to this new Orthanc which should pretty well be the final nail in the original's coffin.

And I imagine the inevitable Barad Dur environment will be comparable size-wise to this new Orthanc which should pretty well be the final nail in the original's coffin.

These would be awesome together:thud::thud: Would make great bookends :lol

Nicely done. I think it looks great and the larger size is welcome. I feel kinda bad for owners of the original that this isn't a matching piece size wise.

Looks Great....having survived the regret of not ever owning the SSW Orthanc, the same mistake won't be made twice.

This is fantastic!!! Thank goodness they went with a "big" tower!

The trees still look blocky. And . . .I was hoping they got a piece of the outer wall ring like how they portrayed Helms Deep where they got every inch of it. All this boils down to is the original Orthanc but the pre-ruin version, and at a larger scale.

I disagree, though.

My fear was that they would do a tiny tower in order to encompass more of the surrounding area, including the wall. Thank goodness they didn't go that route. I wanted the tower as the main piece. Could care less about the surrounding area.

And even though the trees look like brocolli, I'm loving this one. Must get! (Here's hoping the price is not high...)

Given a choice between the two, I think I prefer the new one. I like the larger size/height, and the nice contrast between the black tower and the green trees. If the price is within reason, I will order this. For me, the Orthanc environment has always been "the one that got away." I'd love to finally have this in my collection.

My sentiments exactly.

Looks Great....having survived the regret of not ever owning the SSW Orthanc, the same mistake won't be made twice.

:lecture

Absolutely AMAZING!!! Can't believe it's true...I'll FINALLY have an Orthanc in my collection!!! :yess:

...And an all new, taller, bigger sculpt at that! :rock :rock :rock

This is so full of WIN! Thank You Weta!!! :clap

Nicely done. I think it looks great and the larger size is welcome. I feel kinda bad for owners of the original that this isn't a matching piece size wise.

I agree. I hate to say it, but it looks like the owners of the original [esp. those who paid top secondary prices] really got blindsided on this one. Personally speaking though, I love this new environment. It must be at least 30% larger than the original [which means at least 30% more detailing], and I love the contrast between the black tower and the greenery all around it. I know where I'll be on the 31st. :clap

I bought the first one when it came out and am happy with it. I will save my money for things that are new rather than a slightly larger version of what I already own.

I would rather they spend their time and effort doing new things such as The Black Gates or Grond crashing through the gates of Minas Tirith.

I agree. I hate to say it, but it looks like the owners of the original [esp. those who paid top secondary prices] really got blindsided on this one. Personally speaking though, I love this new environment. It must be at least 30% larger than the original [which means at least 30% more detailing], and I love the contrast between the black tower and the greenery all around it. I know where I'll be on the 31st. :clap

Perfect example of how statue collecting seems different from other forms of collecting, vintage toys in particular. There, exact new copies do little to the antique or vintage piece values and may even increase value due to awareness. This is especially the case for high dollar items. I love this new piece, the original always looked small and drab. The trees really set off the darkness of the tower. I imagine Bag End, Rivendell, and now Orthanc will make for a nice series.

I bought the original one from SSW...and gave it to a friend as a gift. D'oh!! That being said, this new version is really nice, and the green base makes a really nice contrast.

The difference in scale is nice too, and will help avoid confusion for those who might not be aware of the two versions. This is a great way to offer a similar piece to a long sold out item that still retains secondary market value. Well done Weta!!

I bought the first one when it came out and am happy with it. I will save my money for things that are new rather than a slightly larger version of what I already own.

I would rather they spend their time and effort doing new things such as The Black Gates or Grond crashing through the gates of Minas Tirith.

I understand exactly. I'm thinking the same way in regards to new Weta Minas Tirith and Barad-Dur environments. They would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than my Dansbury Mint pieces in order for me to pick them up.

Perfect example of how statue collecting seems different from other forms of collecting, vintage toys in particular. There, exact new copies do little to the antique or vintage piece values and may even increase value due to awareness. This is especially the case for high dollar items. I love this new piece, the original always looked small and drab. The trees really set off the darkness of the tower. I imagine Bag End, Rivendell, and now Orthanc will make for a nice series.

I agree. I think this piece will only bring additional attention to the original and keep it from dropping in value too much. Sure, there may be some that will try to sell the original asap, in order to get as much as possible and then buy the new piece, but I think most will stay in their collectors' hands, regardless.

If given the opportunity to obtain the original for a good price, I would STILL do so. It being "small and drab" kind of defines what happened to the tower metaphorically, once Saruman went to the dark side. While he remained faithful to his mission, and Isengard was "good", it gave off a "bigger and more colorful" aura, if you will...

So Alex (Fly&Fight) you getting one of these?

I thought of you as soon as I saw the picture of it, I remember you always wanted an Orthanc.

I'm not too worried about a Weta Barad-Dur being better than the Danbury Mint one, I had one a long time ago and it was nothing special.

Besides I'm sure you could sell it on eBay and get good money for it. I sold mine for $400 a couple years ago.

Even though I want them to visit new environments (like they did with Bag End and Rivendell). This is a great revisit.

I just hope they revisit "The Cake"....I mean Minas Morgul!

Even though I want them to visit new environments (like they did with Bag End and Rivendell). This is a great revisit.

I just hope they revisit "The Cake"....I mean Minas Morgul!

Judging by the Weta poll we have seen each Environment in order of popularity (proves they listen:yess:) so Minas Morgul wont be long in coming,along with Barad-dur,Minas Tirith and GROND!

Shaping up nicely :)

Back