Weta Original Aragorn vs PF Aragorn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj7601

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi Guys I don't post a lot but I have been around since the begining. I currently have my Weta Aragorn for sale on ebay but I'm starting to wonder if I am making a mistake? I really like the PF Aragorn but was curious what the general opinion was. Aragorn Weta or Aragorn PF?????
thx Mike:google

The Weta Strider statue is very nice. I loved mine while I had it. While it doesn't look like Viggo its worth having. Now, having said that I do think the PF is better.

The PF I think is the best likeness of Viggo to date, regardless of changes made.

Throw value (sentimental and monetary) out the window, and just show both pieces to an average Joe walking down the street. I have a feeling that they will prefer the PF. Sculpt is the best yet of the character, in my opinion. And the costuming in this line is fantastic.

:DI just can't throw out sentimentality, and therefore I will keep both. :D

Throw value (sentimental and monetary) out the window, and just show both pieces to an average Joe walking down the street. I have a feeling that they will prefer the PF. Sculpt is the best yet of the character, in my opinion. And the costuming in this line is fantastic.

Yes, Absolutely correct. And I'm a HUGE fan of the Weta Line - it is the thing that got me into film collecting. :peace

The Weta Aragorn is one of the 10-15% of the statues which I don't have in my collection, btw. The poor likeness is one of the key reasons.

The other problem is the completionist problem. But then I would have 4 Aragorns which is probably too many anyway.

I never had the original Sideshow/Weta Aragorn, although I did have the Elessar and the Aragorn at the Black Gates, although both have since been sold off. So when my Aragorn PF gets here, he will be the only one in my collection, and I think this is about the best representation of the character I can get anyway.

I don't think it is possible for the Weta Sculpt to be a favorite anymore now that the PF has been released

For many, there will always be a certain appeal and fondness for the classic Weta sculpts that goes beyond accuracy. But if you are strictly going by likeness and sheer Viggosity, I don't think Tim Miller's work on the PF can be beat.

Why is the comparison even being made? For the longest time, there was no nostalgic representation of Aragorn except for the Weta statue. For completists, it was the action pose that sold them. Having Aragorn on Brego or Elessar King were not enough for the completists. Then came the Gentle Giant bust, and even the SS 12" Action figure which were better representations. This PF is just a jump to coming closer to Viggo. Either way, you can't go wrong. I'm sure the same comparison will be made to the Moria Orc when it comes out. Either way, there will be people who would have a special place for the Weta originals because it was worked on by Weta themselves. For me . . .I chose to own all incarnations of Aragorn. It allows me to sleep peacefully at the end of the day.

Right its not numbered but the rumor is 750-1000 pieces but I think its even lower than that.I've never see that many popping over the net even when it was at its peak value.

Because its very limited and people want it. Couple pretty good reasons right there.

People obviously will buy anything that there is a small amount of to be special, I think everyone knew I meant how heinous the statue looks. If the movie had never come out then sure go buy it, look hey it's Aragorn how cool. But you don't do a line of figures based on the actors in the movie and let that one slip through the approval process. Most of the other likenesses (and statues) look amazing, but it's obvious they ^^^^^ the bed on him.

People obviously will buy anything that there is a small amount of to be special, I think everyone knew I meant how heinous the statue looks. If the movie had never come out then sure go buy it, look hey it's Aragorn how cool. But you don't do a line of figures based on the actors in the movie and let that one slip through the approval process. Most of the other likenesses (and statues) look amazing, but it's obvious they ^^^^^ the bed on him.

I wouldn't say the statue looks that bad. It doesn't look like Viggo but its not a bad looking piece. Why doesn't it look like Viggo? I have no idea there are 1k rumors to that one but I liked it when I had it but as I said the PF is a better looking piece.

Hi Guys I don't post a lot but I have been around since the begining. I currently have my Weta Aragorn for sale on ebay but I'm starting to wonder if I am making a mistake?

If all you want is one Aragorn fig and you can live with Sideshow's tailoring attempts, go for the PF. If you like to have more LotR characters keep the Weta Aragorn, there's not much completist hope for the PF line imho.

Back