Statue WETA Fellowship Of The Ring Set 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WETA Fellowship dio

OK guys, i'm officially claiming responsibility for this diorama! :lol

Here is what Tim said to me in a PM:

'I hoped you like the pic of the Fellowship Diorama. I think that was originally your idea'

:rock

I'm just glad that after years of clamoring for this we're finally getting this moment. :rock

OK guys, i'm officially claiming responsibility for this diorama! :lol

Here is what Tim said to me in a PM:

'I hoped you like the pic of the Fellowship Diorama. I think that was originally your idea'

:rock

I think you should get a complementary piece to review J man :wink1:

... The great thing about this is many of us long time lotr collectors have been asking for something like this forever. It's a buy for me unless the price is too high.

This is perfect. It's crazy that it took this long to get something like this. I would be very happy to own this piece.

My sentiments exactly! :lecture :clap

Much of my collecting days are behind me (I didn't even order the Ringwraith Steed PF yet); but this is a must-have!

The thing I love about these Weta figurines compared to the Sideshow maquette (not knocking them by the way). Is they in my eyes seem to have blended the film look & how they appear in my head when reading the book. The Strider figurine is especially good at this. It looks enough like Viggo yet can also match up with a description of Strider from Tolkien's text - not sure if I'm explaining in well enough. Also the size of the pieces has appeal and although brilliantly captured, the Sideshow action poses (flowing robes for example) shout out to me fragile & multible breakable parts. I really like these less dramatic statues. The Fellowship dio is a must have for me

Hello Matner77

I do agree with you :1-1:

Hence why I am in two minds whether to continue with the Sideshow Marquette line. For me personally it’s the import tax approx £45 per item :mad: for the Marquette that’s putting me off buying any future items from sideshow :(

Hello Matner77

I do agree with you :1-1:

Hence why I am in two minds whether to continue with the Sideshow Marquette line. For me personally it’s the import tax approx £45 per item :mad: for the Marquette that’s putting me off buying any future items from sideshow :(

Price, space/size of the maquettes put me off collecting them. Plus some of the paint apps I've seen especially on Arwen really put me off. With cost, shipping & import fees it'd be around £250 per statue I'd want a bob on paint job to match the excellent sculpt work. To be honest my £50 Gentle Giant Potter minibust paint apps equal if not sometimes surpass some of the Sideshows maquettes (on the face/eyes at least)

Anyone know the sizes for this one?

Nothing confirmed at this stage, but general understanding is that this is much in line with there recent LOTR statues (Gollum/Gandalf/Aragorn) and Weta had a set size limit for that, ie hey couldn't make 1:6 scale.

Based on that, it's very likely that Gandalf would be around 12cm tall, but with all fellowship members (in 3 sets) would still cover a bit of space, just not a lot of height.

The thing I love about these Weta figurines compared to the Sideshow maquette (not knocking them by the way). Is they in my eyes seem to have blended the film look & how they appear in my head when reading the book. The Strider figurine is especially good at this. It looks enough like Viggo yet can also match up with a description of Strider from Tolkien's text - not sure if I'm explaining in well enough. Also the size of the pieces has appeal and although brilliantly captured, the Sideshow action poses (flowing robes for example) shout out to me fragile & multible breakable parts. I really like these less dramatic statues. The Fellowship dio is a must have for me

I also really agree with you on that one. The SS maquettes are great but there are a few who have poses that seem too dynamic and flowing. Gimli is one example. I really can't picture John Rhys Davies' Gimli performing an action as extravagant as the one in the new SS sculpt.
Aslo, while I think the flowing cape and flag really suit the Boromir Maquette, I don't think they suit the witchking. Its a great sculpt, but unless he is walking into a gale his robes are highy unlikely to blow that wildly - see movie stills and shots for examples.

Nothing confirmed at this stage, but general understanding is that this is much in line with there recent LOTR statues (Gollum/Gandalf/Aragorn) and Weta had a set size limit for that, ie hey couldn't make 1:6 scale.

Based on that, it's very likely that Gandalf would be around 12cm tall, but with all fellowship members (in 3 sets) would still cover a bit of space, just not a lot of height.

Nice! Perfect size and shouldn't take up too much room.

Funny, that's the exact reasoning I enjoy the SS statues. The look of the WETA pieces do look good and I'm sure the Fellowship will come out great, as they always put great care into their LOTR products. Don't know why, but I like a bit of a "flow" in a statue rather than a static nothing-is-happening pose.

Back